Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFLPA can and will, which is what Ive been saying.
But they can't step in if Melbourne pick him up. They will be twist and turn. Martin is 25 next year don't really need Betts to mentor him. If I am Martin will ask 900k for two years from either club. Get guarantee money.

Last edited:
Yes, Eddie mentoring him was the major factor and Sammo and him speak the same language. Yes, May is a non factor and would hold little influence. Jack is, to quote an ITK from your board, "emotionally invested in Carlton".

Your club has already spoken with him. He isnt interested. This is coming across as desperate from Dees fans.
Lol desperate, Martin is an ok player that most clubs weren’t interested in. Only because he’s available in the draft we have interest in him. He was never on Melbourne’s radar and if he doesn’t come to us it won’t be loss for us.

All I said was Steven May will be speaking to Jack about coming to Melbourne once Jack returns from overseas. That will be happening. If Jack doesn’t want to join Melbourne after that, no loss, if he does then a little win.

If they have the balls to the same thing to Lukosius at the end of next seasons if Luko wants to leave/go back to SA, then they will have won back my respect.

Martin was probably an 'acceptable' loss of asset (not a superstar, but not a battler either, so I can understand why they did it, from that point of view.

Martin should still end up at Carlton, but if he doesn't so be it, I do believe that we (SOS and The Blues) did everything possible to trade for him, it know seems likely that Gold Coast were never going to trade him to us anyway (they knew we had pick 9 in line for Papley)

Think Marty would be more likely to return to Gold Coast, than go to Melbourne with all the dysfunctional weirdos on their list, who knows for sure.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't want to play for a bland team with a bland culture (with all due respect) with the likes of Viney, May etc coached by Goodwin, but you never know for sure.
You never know, Lukosius might want to stayed and alll this if and predicting future for other club done my head in, you are bottom 3 this year, wooden spoon last year, better concentrate on moving up the ladder than think about other club players If or what they want to do.

The AFLPA can and will, which is what Ive been saying.

They have no power to do anything about who chooses to draft him. They can make threats about the system as a whole to the AFL but they cant change where one specific player ends up.

Lol desperate, Martin is an ok player that most clubs weren’t interested in. Only because he’s available in the draft we have interest in him. He was never on Melbourne’s radar and if he doesn’t come to us it won’t be loss for us.

All I said was Steven May will be speaking to Jack about coming to Melbourne once Jack returns from overseas. That will be happening. If Jack doesn’t want to join Melbourne after that, no loss, if he does then a little win.

You said it yourself, you are only showing interest because of the draft. Melbourne isnt exactly a rockstar club that can come in and sweep him off his feet last second. Carlton have been in talks with him and his manager for two years. Steven May talking to him is something thats only been posted in here. I doubt it even happens

If they have the balls to the same thing to Lukosius at the end of next seasons if Luko wants to leave/go back to SA, then they will have won back my respect.

Martin was probably an 'acceptable' loss of asset (not a superstar, but not a battler either, so I can understand why they did it, from that point of view.

Martin should still end up at Carlton, but if he doesn't so be it, I do believe that we (SOS and The Blues) did everything possible to trade for him, it know seems likely that Gold Coast were never going to trade him to us anyway (they knew we had pick 9 in line for Papley)

Think Marty would be more likely to return to Gold Coast, than go to Melbourne with all the dysfunctional weirdos on their list, who knows for sure.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't want to play for a bland team with a bland culture (with all due respect) with the likes of Viney, May etc coached by Goodwin, but you never know for sure.
If Luko wants to come home, the Crows would get a trade done, rather than threatening the PSD.

You said it yourself, you are only showing interest because of the draft. Melbourne isnt exactly a rockstar club that can come in and sweep him off his feet last second. Carlton have been in talks with him and his manager for two years. Steven May talking to him is something thats only been posted in here. I doubt it even happens
Is just an opinion, your doubt mean nothing to players decision especially when it come to money and more money for two years. Player manager are not stupid the higher his salary the better commission for them.

They have no power to do anything about who chooses to draft him. They can make threats about the system as a whole to the AFL but they cant change where one specific player ends up.

I disagree. Player welfare is a core tenet kf theirs. They will intervene so that he wont play for them. Hes done the right thing by Gold Coast since being drafted, no chance they sit idly by if this happens.

I disagree. Player welfare is a core tenet kf theirs. They will intervene so that he wont play for them. Hes done the right thing by Gold Coast since being drafted, no chance they sit idly by if this happens.
Is gold coast paying him peanut the last two year or under paid him all this year.

What tf are you even talking about? Can you just please stop quoting me. Youre a fruitloop
I am fruitloop will not stop quoting you. I don't even know what you talking about, if you think GCS not picking him up why talking about player welfare. Until GCS delist him I can quote you whatever I like, if you don't post I can't quote you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah because we didn’t have the trade assets for him. We went after Jamie Elliot as a free agent for that forward role. Just because we didn’t have the trade assets doesn’t mean we haven’t spoken to him previously. Last year he wanted to get to Essendon, this year Carlton. He had only 3 clubs to choose from that were prepared to trade for him this year. Carlton, the Bulldogs and Fremantle. Essendon wasn’t an option for him this year.

Melbourne has now became an option, May and Martin were mates on the Gold Coast, it’s not hard for May to give him a call.

We don’t need to get Martin to play for us over Carlton. We just need him to get to the same stage as any other draftee where he’s not going to flip over going to a different club to his ideal. It’s not as much of a hurdle as Carlton fans think it is.

You never know, Lukosius might want to stayed and alll this if and predicting future for other club done my head in, you are bottom 3 this year, wooden spoon last year, better concentrate on moving up the ladder than think about other club players If or what they want to do.

Well I hope Luko stays at the Suns (I have been a big advocate for Gold Coast and supportive of your draft assistance), just pointing out that in Martin's case, Gold Coast probably could afford to lose him for nothing, but i would highly doubt they would do the same thing for someone like Lukosius, that was my point.

Yeah because we didn’t have the trade assets for him. We went after Jamie Elliot as a free agent for that forward role. Just because we didn’t have the trade assets doesn’t mean we haven’t spoken to him previously. Last year he wanted to get to Essendon, this year Carlton. He had only 3 clubs to choose from that were prepared to trade for him this year. Carlton, the Bulldogs and Fremantle. Essendon wasn’t an option for him this year.

Melbourne has now became an option, May and Martin were mates on the Gold Coast, it’s not hard for May to give him a call.

We don’t need to get Martin to play for us over Carlton. We just need him to get to the same stage as any other draftee where he’s not going to flip over going to a different club to his ideal. It’s not as much of a hurdle as Carlton fans think it is.

I heard we were straight on it, but Jack is very “emotional” about getting to Carlton. We’re out

Melbourne ITK poster on your board.

Make your peace with it.

Gold Coast’s decision to make an example of Martin makes perfect sense in the context of their player retention issues. They are basically sending a message to the managers of their young stars and rival clubs ... “try us on and we’ll force these players to go to bottom four clubs via the PSD”.

This isn’t just coming from Cochrane but also former senior AFL exec Mark Evans who is now the CEO there. They know that any more Lynch/Prestia/Caddy type walk outs where wantaway Suns are waltzing into clubs of their choice then playing in premierships is the worst possible situation for them. They simply have to put a stop this trend as it was rapidly destroying the club.

Jack Martin isn’t at Carlton today because blokes like Tom Lynch are winning premiership medals in Melbourne. They’re not going to allow it to happen again regardless of the short term pain losing out on a few trades might cost them. And fair enough, too.

If they want to make a stand, then make it on players like Lynch etc. They’re instead making it on Martin, a player that is extremely talented, but one that hasn’t borne fruit and one they dropped from the team.

And don’t see how forcing players to stay will make them a tougher, better club etc.

Cochrane is better off getting in his car, driving over to the Lions and see how they’ve changed things. Lion players actually enjoy being there, hence their success this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

And how do you think they can control clubs draft picks. They cant.

If they want to make a stand, then make it on players like Lynch etc. They’re instead making it on Martin, a player that is extremely talented, but one that hasn’t borne fruit and one they dropped from the team.

And don’t see how forcing players to stay will make them a tougher, better club etc.

Cochrane is better off getting in his car, driving over to the Lions and see how they’ve changed things. Lion players actually enjoy being there, hence their success this year.

The Lynch horse had bolted. Someone had to be made an example of, so Martin it was. It’s less about forcing them to stay than it is sending the message ... “We won’t facilitate you getting to the club of your choice. You won’t hold us over a barrel. You won’t get what you want unless we are paid a king’s ransom.”

They are laying down the law up there with the AFL’s imprimatur to do so. Retain players at all costs is the new dictum.

The Lynch horse had bolted. Someone had to be made an example of, so Martin it was. It’s less about forcing them to stay than it is sending the message ... “We won’t facilitate you getting to the club of your choice. You won’t hold us over a barrel. You won’t get what you want unless we are paid a king’s ransom.”

They are laying down the law up there with the AFL’s imprimatur to do so. Retain players at all costs is the new dictum.

Not much The Suns could have done with Lynch anyway, as he was a free agent, and they wouldn't have got as much compo if they traded with Richmond anyway (they got pick 3 compo for him, which was far more juicy than anything Richmond would have given up.

Well if that’s the strategy it ain’t going to develop a happy playing group that’s united.

.... Brisbane Lions ain’t a long drive away

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

And how do you think they can control clubs draft picks. They cant.

Do you honestly believe that legal recourse isnt an option? Hes requested a trade two years running and when Gold Coast had no other option but to trade for a reasonable offer they refused. Players pay this mob every year for them to represent them. If the Suns redraft him, they will make an example of them.

Whatever stand or message they were trying to send will be lost as they die on a hill named Martin.

Melbourne ITK poster on your board.

Make your peace with it.
There’s six weeks until the PSD. the irony of Carlton fans saying ‘make your peace with it’ when it’s been several days and they’re still fighting with GC fans over nothing. We should just send Martin the link to this thread and he’d be horrified at the thought of ever playing for the Blues

There’s six weeks until the PSD. the irony of Carlton fans saying ‘make your peace with it’ when it’s been several days and they’re still fighting with GC fans over nothing. We should just send Martin the link to this thread and he’d be horrified at the thought of ever playing for the Blues

Players at every club are told directly to not look at Bigfooty. Who's fighting with Gold Coast fans? Im laughing at them. They see this as a win.

Here are my opinions:
It is unlikely he will end up at Melbourne. You wont draft a player who firmly doesnt want to be there. You also dont have the cap space we have.
It is lottery odds he has a change of heart.
He will not be at Gold Coast in 2020. This is nonsense on stilts.
It is most likely he gets his wish and plays at Carlton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back