Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Remove this Banner Ad

Players at every club are told directly to not look at Bigfooty. Who's fighting with Gold Coast fans? Im laughing at them. They see this as a win.

Here are my opinions:
It is unlikely he will end up at Melbourne. You wont draft a player who firmly doesnt want to be there. You also dont have the cap space we have.
It is lottery odds he has a change of heart.
He will not be at Gold Coast in 2020. This is nonsense on stilts.
It is most likely he gets his wish and plays at Carlton.
Our current position is that we won’t draft Martin. But we will spend the next five weeks doing everything we can to get into a position where we do.

Players at every club are told directly to not look at Bigfooty. Who's fighting with Gold Coast fans? Im laughing at them. They see this as a win.

Here are my opinions:
It is unlikely he will end up at Melbourne. You wont draft a player who firmly doesnt want to be there. You also dont have the cap space we have.
It is lottery odds he has a change of heart.
He will not be at Gold Coast in 2020. This is nonsense on stilts.
It is most likely he gets his wish and plays at Carlton.

We have the cap space. $2mil turned down by Jamie Elliot for starters. And we can get creative with our accounting just as much as the Blues can.

We have pick PSD2, the money and five weeks to soften his stance. I can understand your nervousness.

The Dees wouldn’t have given Jack Martin a second thought prior to Wednesday. It’s been four days since then, it’s obviously going to take us some time to get into a better position to draft him wrt cap space and the like.

We have the cap space. $2mil turned down by Jamie Elliot for starters. And we can get creative with our accounting just as much as the Blues can.

We have pick PSD2, the money and five weeks to soften his stance. I can understand your nervousness.

2 million over 4 years isn't cashed up

As for nervous, this hammock is comfortable

We had close to 2 mil turned down by Coniglio for purely 2020. If it purely came down to a money-off (which would be stupid for both clubs) Carlton would win.

Way it stands, he'll go to Carlton unless he shows some inclination that he's happy with Melbourne over the next 5 weeks. Not much else to it really.

Carlton shouldn’t be throwing money around. With so many young star players they will command big bucks in the next 3-4

So lets get this straight

he enters the PSD without nominating a price then gets drafted and has to negotiate a price and if not agreed then goes to arbitration ?
So what happens if that doesnt work out who does he play for ? and how can there be a restraint of trade when he knowingly enters the draft with full knowledge of the rules.

Makes no sense at all nominating for the draft with no price and if he wants to get to Carlton the best way would be to put $700k on his head for 2 years then extend further later on.
I’ve simply followed someone down a rabbit hole who tried to suggest you’re bound to two years from the PSD. I’ve not argued for him to do the above - rather just they have options. And if he wants to tell Melbourne “I’m leaving in a year” the only way he could do that is not specify terms.

Gold Coast’s decision to make an example of Martin makes perfect sense in the context of their player retention issues. They are basically sending a message to the managers of their young stars and rival clubs ... “try us on and we’ll force these players to go to bottom four clubs via the PSD”.

This isn’t just coming from Cochrane but also former senior AFL exec Mark Evans who is now the CEO there. They know that any more Lynch/Prestia/Caddy type walk outs where wantaway Suns are waltzing into clubs of their choice then playing in premierships is the worst possible situation for them. They simply have to put a stop this trend as it was rapidly destroying the club.

Jack Martin isn’t at Carlton today because blokes like Tom Lynch are winning premiership medals in Melbourne. They’re not going to allow it to happen again regardless of the short term pain losing out on a few trades might cost them. And fair enough, too.
And so he ends up at Carlton anyway, and actually makes the situation worse: the threat of ‘re draft’ turns out to be rubbish- as does the threat of some other club drafting them. I think they’ve badly damaged their brand, GC. And achieved nothing good in the process.

See you said it yourself, you have 2mil, we have 3mil from papley and 5mil from coniglio.

Not even in the same ballpark, we can and will price you out of it, simples.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton shouldn’t be throwing money around. With so many young star players they will command big bucks in the next 3-4
Spot on. They can afford to spend big for 2020 but beyond that have to keep an eye on big bucks for young guns we have that will be ready for bigger contracts later on. How Martin's manager structures his contract will have to fit in those parameters.

We have $1.5M sitting outside the cap that we will lose (500k per year) that doesnt get spent. Melbourne is not remotely in a position to challenge that.

Jamie Elliot turned you down hey? I wasnt aware of that. He's a class below Martin. I reckon he does the same too.

We have $1.5M sitting outside the cap that we will lose (500k per year) that doesnt get spent. Melbourne is not remotely in a position to challenge that.

Jamie Elliot turned you down hey? I wasnt aware of that. He's a class below Martin. I reckon he does the same too.
lol Elliot is a significantly better player than Martin will ever be, he’s a much bigger loss for the dees

You can reckon what you like. Either we get him or make you pay a lot more for him than you’d prefer to. A win for us either way.

Enjoy the nervous wait.

Elliot has one year on, one year off due to injuries. And the fact you think he's better screams to me that youve only jumped on this bandwagon because hes available. Shoo. We're done here.
Martin’s career best performance wouldn’t be in Elliot’s 20 best games. He’ll have a better career from here out too. If we were jumping on players who were just ‘available’ we’d have gone after ones like Butler, Bonar or Cutler

You can reckon what you like. Either we get him or make you pay a lot more for him than you’d prefer to. A win for us either way.

Enjoy the nervous wait.

Not nervous at all. Sorry to disappoint. As stated, we will lose $500k regardless. Imagine that, $500k from outside the cap added onto $400-500k inside the cap in the first year of his contract. Youre gonna get blown out of the water

Martin’s career best performance wouldn’t be in Elliot’s 20 best games. He’ll have a better career from here out too. If we were jumping on players who were just ‘available’ we’d have gone after ones like Butler, Bonar or Cutler

My dude, youre embarrassing yourself. At the start of every year toss a coin. Heads he plays,, tails he doesnt. And for the record, I'd take Martin's best 20 games over Elliott's.

Not nervous at all. Sorry to disappoint. As stated, we will lose $500k regardless. Imagine that, $500k from outside the cap added onto $400-500k inside the cap in the first year of his contract. Youre gonna get blown out of the water

My dude, youre embarrassing yourself. At the start of every year toss a coin. Heads he plays,, tails he doesnt. And for the record, I'd take Martin's best 20 games over Elliott's.
Imagine thinking Jack Martin is a good AFL player :S

Even Harley Bennell has had a better career than Jack Martin

Then why do you want him? Go get Harley Bennell, he is most certainly up for grabs.

G2B you havent seen enough of Martin. Why are you arguing over a player you dont rate? Cripps was blown away about the prospect of getting him, and hes a bloke who witnessed him first hand in his junior years (hint: they went to the same high school).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back