Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Remove this Banner Ad

He has to nominate 2 years, players nominating a price on their head must do it over 2 year minimum. He can also only nominate total price. He can’t go $1million season one, $200k season 2. Carlton can give him that deal if Jack agrees, but he has put $1.2million over 2 years, another club can give him 600k year one, 600k year 2
Its been covered in this thread already to death, he won't be putting anything as low as 1.2mil it will be 1.8mil+ over 2 years with a further 3 years at 400k once he is at the club type deal.

Its been covered in this thread already to death, he won't be putting anything as low as 1.2mil it will be 1.8mil+ over 2 years with a further 3 years at 400k once he is at the club type deal.
If that’s Carlton want to do. Big price for Martin

We have $1.5M sitting outside the cap that we will lose (500k per year) that doesnt get spent. Melbourne is not remotely in a position to challenge that.

Jamie Elliot turned you down hey? I wasnt aware of that. He's a class below Martin. I reckon he does the same too.
Jamie Elliott is twice the player Martin is. He’d be close to the premier small forward in the comp if not for injury.

You should know better than going into a rabbit hole , Otherwise its hard getting back out of that hole.

He will get to carlton no doubt but stranger things can happen as nick Stevens found out trying to get to Collingwood and ending up at princess park
Stevens is a bad example, he wanted Pies but there were too many interstate teams inbetween Carltons pick and the Pies pick. He wasn't game enough.

Works out to 440k a season, wouldn't say that is a big price
$600k pa average based on what was suggested a few posts ago.

$1.8m over 2 years, followed by $1.2m over 3 years = $3m over 5 years.

I dare say the Dees would let him to slip to Carlton if that is the money he demands.

Going to be interesting to watch as Carlton will need to outprice Martin for his initial 2 year deal so that the Dees don't swoop...

Works out to 440k a season, wouldn't say that is a big price
Would Jack agree to that? What if kills the next couple of years and gets big offer from other clubs. Why would he sign $400k over 3 years?

Anyway, I don’t think Carlton need to out price him anyway. Melbourne will try to convince him to come to us, if he says I’m set on playing at Carlton we won’t stand in his way.

It’s a win either way for the Dees. We’re in a zero pressure situation. Carlton are the ones that need to keep him satisfied for five weeks
No it’s not. It’s either a neutral outcome or a win for both teams. It’s not a loss for Carlton if they don’t get him. We don’t have him. You understand that right?

We both presently don’t have him. We’ve both given up nothing for him. We will both give up nothing for him. Whoever gets him (which will be us) will win. It would be like saying every club that didn’t pick up ‘x’ player because he went to another club lost.

Ultimately, had I been in GCS’s shoes, I’d probably just have done the deal and moved on, on-traded picks and capitalized on some value, even if only 50c on the dollar.
But GCS didn’t view it that way and if they think it can solidify their position in future negotiations and recoup the loss on this single (non-)transaction, they’re entitled to do so.
The Blues were not parting with a top ten pick for Martin alone, they would have gotten getting 15 back, the deal was ultimately a six pick slide and pick 30-odd(?) next year, no?
Clearly higher relative value in 9 vs 15, but it’s not 9 for Martin and no first-rounder (fwiw, AFL closer to NFL than NBA in terms of sliding scale of pick values).
That some posters here continue to trot out this line that GCS’ offer was ‘way overs’ vs their own club’s ‘obviously reasonable’ offer or that GCS has been carrying on like a pork chop is a partisan smokescreen and it shits me.
GCS has clearly made errors along the way, but they are working hard and are always going to fight an uphill battle to get a critical mass together when they are subjected to raids / attrition every year coming off the low base.
GCS / other interstate sides as feeder clubs / failed beach heads doesn’t serve the best interests of the national competition.
(I was also OK with us being forced to pay a high price in trade currency for Treloar when we took him away from GWS, e.g.., that’s how it should work.)
Agree it’s almost certain the Blues will land Martin.
No no no

It wasn’t a six pick slide on its own. It was also a second rounder. The points value of it placed it in the range of a 13-16 pick. They wanted full points value inclusive of a top ten pick for a guy out of contract. They can ask for what they want. They have now lost him for nothing.

You should know better than going into a rabbit hole , Otherwise its hard getting back out of that hole.

He will get to carlton no doubt but stranger things can happen as nick Stevens found out trying to get to Collingwood and ending up at princess park
He was happy to come to Carlton. Martin has been crystal clear he’s not going anywhere but the Blues.

No it’s not. It’s either a neutral outcome or a win for both teams. It’s not a loss for Carlton if they don’t get him. We don’t have him. You understand that right?

We both presently don’t have him. We’ve both given up nothing for him. We will both give up nothing for him. Whoever gets him (which will be us) will win. It would be like saying every club that didn’t pick up ‘x’ player because he went to another club lost.
If Carlton don’t get Martin it will be massively humiliating. If they get him after five weeks of stress and he performs below expectation it will also be an extreme humiliation.

You are missing the point. The aflpa might mount a legal challenge after a club picks Martin up. You were talking about them doing something beforehand to stop a club picking up Martin, which they can't.
They could seek an injunction on the conduct of the PSD. Don’t know if they’d win. And it’s something of a stupid discussion. But they most certainly could try.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sure his new team mates will be wrapped in that and watch the media pounce about the way Carlton have conducted themselves when that price gets out, if I was a rival Melbourne club I would be in Cripps ear.

Melbourne ITK poster on your board.

Make your peace with it.

That ITK poster you keep referring to has nfi what's happening with this deal. He has admitted who his sources are, he just doesn't know.

Personally I think he'll end up at Carlton but last year he was 'emotionally invested' into getting to Essendon, so who knows. But as Blackas87 has explained to you Melbourne is now in discussionswith his management.

Let's see what happens

I understand you retreating well enough.

You dont even know the player enough to give a s**t about him. He's exactly what Melbourne need and you dont know. Two years he's been wanting out and now that a trade fell through you think Melbourne can sweep him off his feet.

Wont happen.

We don’t need to ‘sweep him off his feet’. We just need to call his name out. At PSD pick 2.

Carlton supporters can cover their ears and scream “wont happen” ‘til the cows come home. You can’t/won’t know until the day of.

$600k pa average based on what was suggested a few posts ago.

$1.8m over 2 years, followed by $1.2m over 3 years = $3m over 5 years.

I dare say the Dees would let him to slip to Carlton if that is the money he demands.

Going to be interesting to watch as Carlton will need to outprice Martin for his initial 2 year deal so that the Dees don't swoop...

Read the post again

Would Jack agree to that? What if kills the next couple of years and gets big offer from other clubs. Why would he sign $400k over 3 years?

Anyway, I don’t think Carlton need to out price him anyway. Melbourne will try to convince him to come to us, if he says I’m set on playing at Carlton we won’t stand in his way.

Okay, everybody has answered all your scenarios, yet you continue to repeat yourself

Martin, his manager, has stated he wants Carlton, you think otherwise, we get it

Perhap rather than this circular debate, perhap come up with new arguments

We don’t need to ‘sweep him off his feet’. We just need to call his name out. At PSD pick 2.

Carlton supporters can cover their ears and scream “wont happen” ‘til the cows come home. You can’t/won’t know until the day of.
You are BAD, don't play with their feeling. The beauty of PSD is Carlton need to allocate a senior spot for Martin and yet don't know what Melbourne do in PSD.

Okay, everybody has answered all your scenarios, yet you continue to repeat yourself

Martin, his manager, has stated he wants Carlton, you think otherwise, we get it

Perhap rather than this circular debate, perhap come up with new arguments
The argument is we don't know what Melbourne will do, if his manager so confident Melbourne won't pick him why come out and tell everybody Martin want Carlton. He knew that GCS won't pick him, but he also knew Melbourne can pick him up and nobody can step in and said Melbourne do it wrong in an open PSD draft.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back