Do you want to change your team's game plan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Keeping it simple - here is what I think ours is -
Richmond
Defence -
D50 -Always keep defenders back in the D50 regardless of what forwards are doing. Have a spare man close to goal. Create an outnumber in defence for marking contests.
Midfield - Guard space/zone through midfield and shut down space/tackle/pressure when ball is in dispute. Guard handball outlets closely to create turnovers in space. Make sure wingers guard space for the opposition teams switch.
F50 - Push up to pressure opposition defence and create turn overs.

Attack -
Create chaos with fast forward link up handballs forcing defenders out of position and creating space ahead for forwards.

Do you know your team's game plan? Do you want to change it? What works/what doesn't? Do you have the players to make it work?

Tim Kelly in the midfield will give Simmo/the Eagles another gear in the midfield, need the unheralded such as Barrass & Duggan to step up as Bunga Hurn cant last forever.
The game plan is fine, not the chaos plan favoured by the Tiges & Pies, it will continue to evolve.

Nope. Think we have the right coach with the right gameplan. The players just needed to believe they were good enough which they did in the back half of the season. We also need to show up against the lesser teams. Losing to Carlton, Gold Coast, North, St Kilda and Fremantle won't cut it next year.

Bring that belief and we could be anything in 2020.

Tim Kelly in the midfield will give Simmo/the Eagles another gear in the midfield, need the unheralded such as Barrass & Duggan to step up as Bunga Hurn cant last forever.
The game plan is fine, not the chaos plan favoured by the Tiges & Pies, it will continue to evolve.

Eagles play a very measured game, using their high marking balls to advantage. They try to cut through the opposition defences/zones to get as close to the F50 as possible before kicking it long to their powerful tall forwards that, at the very least, bring it to ground. McGovern plays an intercept game that relies on the opposition midfielders kicking it high and long into their forward line so he has enough time to ghost over and intercept.

My question to you then is - in the games you were picked apart this year (Hawthorn springs to mind), did you have a Plan B? What happens when your taels can not mark reliably (like in wet weather games or when matched up against tall opposition?).

I think next year your midfield will be scary with the addition of Kelly and (fingers crossed) NicNat but it is a high skills game plan you utilise and only takes one poor kick/decision to come undone...

Nope. Think we have the right coach with the right gameplan. The players just needed to believe they were good enough which they did in the back half of the season. We also need to show up against the lesser teams. Losing to Carlton, Gold Coast, North, St Kilda and Fremantle won't cut it next year.

Bring that belief and we could be anything in 2020.

So you think it was all in the players heads which was why they lost those games? The players became complacent perhaps? WB smashed us earlier in the year when they cut out our outside run. Your midfield suits your game plan perfectly with the high pressure tackling and your rebound run is some of the best in the league but you seem to lack the players to finish it all off at times? Is it your forward line structure that needs tweaking or the forwards themselves?

Very happy with our game plan since Teague took over, he seems to have simplified the game plan, made it less defensive and possession accumulating, and let the players back their attacking instincts more (SPS and Silvagni have been real beneficiaries of this)

Eagles play a very measured game, using their high marking balls to advantage. They try to cut through the opposition defences/zones to get as close to the F50 as possible before kicking it long to their powerful tall forwards that, at the very least, bring it to ground. McGovern plays an intercept game that relies on the opposition midfielders kicking it high and long into their forward line so he has enough time to ghost over and intercept.

My question to you then is - in the games you were picked apart this year (Hawthorn springs to mind), did you have a Plan B? What happens when your taels can not mark reliably (like in wet weather games or when matched up against tall opposition?).

I think next year your midfield will be scary with the addition of Kelly and (fingers crossed) NicNat but it is a high skills game plan you utilise and only takes one poor kick/decision to come undone...

We fell at the final hurdle, both Brisbane & the Hawks were too good, picked apart our game is an easy way to describe comprehensive losses.
When we are beaten, we look off ... that applied to the Hawks in the 3peat & its that style of game that best suits our list.

Plan B tends to be going small up forward, Cripps, Ryan, Rioli, Cameron, Petruccelle - Willies gone & will be missed, but Ryan, Cameron & Petruccelle have only 50 games between them, so its been a work in progress over the past 2 years. The extra tall, potentially Oscar Allen or Jake Waterman are also young & inexperienced. Vardy played the role in 2018 but was rarely available in 2019.

Its work in progress is the best I can do.

We fell at the final hurdle, both Brisbane & the Hawks were too good, picked apart our game is an easy way to describe comprehensive losses.
When we are beaten, we look off ... that applied to the Hawks in the 3peat & its that style of game that best suits our list.

Plan B tends to be going small up forward, Cripps, Ryan, Rioli, Cameron, Petruccelle - Willies gone & will be missed, but Ryan, Cameron & Petruccelle have only 50 games between them, so its been a work in progress over the past 2 years. The extra tall, potentially Oscar Allen or Jake Waterman are also young & inexperienced. Vardy played the role in 2018 but was rarely available in 2019.

Its work in progress is the best I can do.

big question marks on us this year

Weve gained with kelly/ lost rioli

kennedy is such a big part of this - does he continue the down hill slide? can he transition to being the second or third tall? Does oallen step up?

id bet money kennedy struggles this year. How we handle that will be the test this season - can kennedy do enough to merit the no 1 defender and spare man? Does darling get that attention and oallen get tested by the better defender?

does bunga fall off the cliff?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't wait to see what our gameplan will look like under Brett Ratten.

It will be interesting to see how all the clubs with new coaches go, Freo especially since they have had a defensive game plan for so long and a coach (a good one) who emphasized effort over skill.

It will be interesting to see how all the clubs with new coaches go, Freo especially since they have had a defensive game plan for so long and a coach (a good one) who emphasized effort over skill.
When Simpson took over west coast he also had to transition the list to improve the skill. There were some horrendous games in the first half of 2014 as the team adapted, but things clicked in the second half. Eagles missed the 8 with 11 wins - 11 losses.

I expect we might see something similar from Freo in the first half of the year.

I used to hate playing Carlton when Ratten was coach. They always smashed us with their contested ball and quick rebound attack. Actually when I think about it, their offensive game plan was similar to the way Richmond's is today. They had their three small aboriginal forwards, who would break back towards goals and link up using hand balls and tear us to shreds. With Butler in your side, perhaps you should expect a similar style next year.

If that's the case, then I'm certainly not looking forward to playing you next year

West Coast definitely has one. They are one of the teams that the coach has actually created a game plan to suit their list rather than just copying a game plan from one of the more successful teams which frequently happens.

I'd agree & part of the Tiges relevance is the game plan, more a team effort than a change in course by Dimma. Pies have one IMHO & I've not seen enough of the Lions under Fages to comment. GWS more talent based than a game plan.

Earlier post noted the frustration for Eagles fans in Simmos early days, I well remember watching Hurn short passing when a 45m bullet was his signature.

So you think it was all in the players heads which was why they lost those games? The players became complacent perhaps? WB smashed us earlier in the year when they cut out our outside run. Your midfield suits your game plan perfectly with the high pressure tackling and your rebound run is some of the best in the league but you seem to lack the players to finish it all off at times? Is it your forward line structure that needs tweaking or the forwards themselves?

They just need time together. Naughton's first year forward and spent his preseason training as a defender. Schache's second year with us, Bailey Dale missed some time with injury, McLean had been used as a midfielder. Dickson was the only player I'd call mature. Lloyd's obviously mature but it was his first year with us.

They just need time together. Naughton's first year forward and spent his preseason training as a defender. Schache's second year with us, Bailey Dale missed some time with injury, McLean had been used as a midfielder. Dickson was the only player I'd call mature. Lloyd's obviously mature but it was his first year with us.

Does Bevo have a discernible game plan? The flag was riding the wave & good on the Dogs, great hands, no game plan came through IMHO.
Is he trying to develop the group first, there is the core for the future, will it become clearer as experience comes?

No I'm very happy with all aspects of the Tiges. Play to their strengths and they'll be fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back