List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

That is true. It is such a hard draft to guess.

One more benefit Robertson has over Stephens, which most would see as a down side but I definitely see as a benefit is that Robertson is rather one dimensional. He only plays one position, and he plays that one position very well. Should we draft him Longmire can't put him in the team and have him play as a forward or defender, or even outside midfielder. Robertson in the team can only be put in one position and that is his natural position.
Very much agree, its frustrating we have to form our views on draftees not on who is best available, but who is Longmire less likely to play out of position to the players and team's detriment. I think Flanders is probably the guy who could survive Longmire's penchant for playing players out of position.

Very much agree, its frustrating we have to form our views on draftees not on who is best available, but who is Longmire less likely to play out of position to the players and team's detriment. I think Flanders is probably the guy who could survive Longmire's penchant for playing players out of position.

Examples of this are?
Mills?

Florent was drafted as a mid and is playing as a mid. Hayward was drafted as a forward and is playing as a forward. Dawson was drafted as a forward, can contribute (to the team’s benefit) in any position.
McCartin was drafted as a forward and whilst had filled in down back, they are still training him as a forward. Rowbottom settled to AFL as a half forward but has quickly joined the mids.

This idea that Horse plays players way out of position to the detriment of the team (which when you think about it, is quite laughable) is a bit of a furphy.

Perhaps the coaches are best placed to determine where a player is likely to contribute considering they get to see them against their peers through the week (Mills?)... certainly the view that they are putting players in positions that make the team worse is pretty ridiculous...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mills
Heeney
Hewett
Reid
Lloyd
Papley

Seriously?

Heeney spends plenty of time in the midfield. He is arguably a better forward! Shame on the coaches

Hewett plays midfield. Introduced into the team as a forward, wont be anywhere near the first or last at any club. Pretty standard stuff.

Reid pinch hitting in the ruck out of need or dropping back into defence for a few minutes in some quarters... spend most of his time up forward...

Not convinced Lloyd is out of position, but even so he was a rookie coin flip. Not sure how this can be an example (were you angry that Grundy was not a forward?).

Papley spends a few minutes here and there in the midfield, like many small forwards.

Good try but this isn’t evidence of anything at all. Peoples heads seem stuck in the past to a time where a player lines up in one position across a whole game. The game has moved on from that.

Heeney spends plenty of time in the midfield. He is arguably a better forward! Shame on the coaches

Heeney is a very good forward, but when the midfield is failing it is best to play him where he was drafted and that is in the midfield. Give him a chance to prove himself there by playing entire games in the midfield.

Hewett plays midfield. Introduced into the team as a forward, wont be anywhere near the first or last at any club. Pretty standard stuff.

Hewett does play in the midfield, but as a tagger. His talents are being wasted as a tagger. Longmire did the same thing with Mitchell for a very long time, even in his final year at the Swans.

Reid pinch hitting in the ruck out of need or dropping back into defence for a few minutes in some quarters... spend most of his time up forward...

A few minutes? It is a running joke on this board that Longmire's plan B is Reid to defence. I have also seen several times where Reid is actually playing really well, kicked a few goals in a single quarter and looking dangerous and suddenly he is in defence.

Not convinced Lloyd is out of position, but even so he was a rookie coin flip. Not sure how this can be an example (were you angry that Grundy was not a forward?).

Lloyd being a rookie has nothing to do with it. I think he would be a better player if he was played elsewhere as defence is not a place that allows his skills to shine.

Papley spends a few minutes here and there in the midfield, like many small forwards.

More than a few minutes. He played a reasonable amount of time in the midfield the last few years.

Preparing to cringe when we take Flanders on Wednesday night.

Why would you cringe?

Dalrymple's history suggests he has some idea about what he is doing.

I am excited to see who he will pick. I don't really care who it is to be honest.

I'm not saying you are like this, but most of the people who write and comment about this stuff and claim to be experts, watch a few highlights on YouTube and then just regurgitate what other people have said.

As an example Hayden Young and, to a lesser extent, Caleb Serong were all top 5 locks two weeks ago. Now all of the sudden, all of the 'experts' agree Young is probably going to go out of the top 5 and Serong close to out of the top 10.

Well what changed? They didn't play any more games.

If we choose Flanders, Id be really confident that he belongs at our pick.

Last edited:
It’s funny how so many of “us” can have such strong views based on a 3 minute highlights package. The apparent meltdowns, cringing, and toy tossing that will happen after a seasoned, proven professional in Dalrymple makes our choice will be quite entertaining.

Can’t speak for others but I’m not basing any cringing I do off a highlights package. Seen Flanders all year and parts of last year too. Don’t rate.

Examples of this are?
Mills?

Florent was drafted as a mid and is playing as a mid. Hayward was drafted as a forward and is playing as a forward. Dawson was drafted as a forward, can contribute (to the team’s benefit) in any position.
McCartin was drafted as a forward and whilst had filled in down back, they are still training him as a forward. Rowbottom settled to AFL as a half forward but has quickly joined the mids.

This idea that Horse plays players way out of position to the detriment of the team (which when you think about it, is quite laughable) is a bit of a furphy.

Perhaps the coaches are best placed to determine where a player is likely to contribute considering they get to see them against their peers through the week (Mills?)... certainly the view that they are putting players in positions that make the team worse is pretty ridiculous...
If you can explain moving Reid into defence when we go a few goals up, you'd be doing better than Paul Roos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back