Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

If Marshall and this kid develop well enough then we probably just need to add in another 195+ forward and that line would be set for the next 10 years

Hayes/Ladhams in tandem down the line.

The only thing I know about Mitchell is that his old man John kicked 8 on debut Rd 1 1989 for Footscray v Carlton after transferring from Subiaco. I had just come back from a year in North America and wondered WTF John Georgiadis was as he had never played state footy.

John was a short forward for the 3rd tall behind Beasley and the resting ruck.

John was also a cop, a broker at hartley and now one of Perth's richest men after marriage

In case not posted

NEW PORT Adelaide forward Mitch Georgiades is the bolter of the 2019 NAB AFL Draft, selected with pick No.18 despite missing the entire year with a quad injury.

Georgiades' former coach at WAFL club Subiaco, Jarrad Schofield, helped get him over the line.

"We tracked Mitch obviously last year, then he gets injured and doesn't play, so it's a bit of an unknown for a lot of people who heard his name mentioned," Port Adelaide head of recruiting Geoff Parker said.

"Obviously, he's a Subiaco boy, Jarrad Schofield coached Subiaco last year … so we spoke to the (current) coach of Subiaco as well. We did a lot of background information on him.

Parker said Georgiades is fully over his quad injury and will be right to go in round one.

"We've got a group of players we still like, so we knew with the first pick tomorrow we could pick who we want," Parker said.

"We've taken a couple of phone calls as to whether we want to trade it already. There's also a few players who we really like who are sitting there, so we're in a really good spot for tomorrow night."

Could turn out to be a steal. That injury worked to our favour. Went early but maybe the club had intel that another club would pick him before our next selection. I think our recruiting has been more than reasonable in recent years. I'm prepared to back the team on this selection.

If Marshall and this kid develop well enough then we probably just need to add in another 195+ forward and that line would be set for the next 10 years
Hayes/Ladhams in tandem down the line.
Maybe but I reckon we’d need a big marking type power forward as Marshall and Georgiades probably won’t be that.

That's how I see it too:

Ladhams (Hayes) - [KPF] - Mitch
[HFF] - Todd - [HFF]

We already probably have the smalls. So, we only need to add a target or three to our list.

Another positive about this (probably already mentioned, I haven't read everything) is that if he is indeed "Schoey's guy", then the club is obviously serious about Schofield as someone to seriously consider for the caretaker/2020 role.

Honestly if we wanted to have a big risky reach, this is exactly the way you do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another positive about this (probably already mentioned, I haven't read everything) is that if he is indeed "Schoey's guy", then the club is obviously serious about Schofield as someone to seriously consider for the caretaker/2020 role.
Pittard was Buddha Hocking’s guy, I wouldn’t read too much into it.

Love it. He sounds like he comes from a great family, humble and hard working. I think Mitch could be a Xavier Duursma pick insofar as he was a pick that none of us so-called experts were expecting, and initially didn't like, but one year later has fast become a lot of supporters favourite. I like this pick. Welcome to Port Mitch!

Those in shock with this selection initially must surely be comforted by now. The kid can play footy and if we believe Schoey knows more about this kid than we do, then we should be happy.
As always with every recruit, time will tell but the more I see the more I like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back