News Practice Match v Collingwood Thursday 20th Feb 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

On a few others.....

Whenever I set about selecting a best 22 I generally convince myself to leave Jack Silvagni out, but every single time I see him play the "WTF Were You Thinking" warning lamp starts flashing bright red. If the ball is anywhere near him then JSOS will find some way or some how to impose a presence on that contest. If he can't impact the contest in the air, then he'll impact it on the ground. If he can't gain possession on the first attempt then he'll give 2nd, 3rd and 4th attempts until he can. If he can't mark the ball in an aerial contest then he'll try to halve the it by spoiling his opponent, knocking the ball out of bounds or locking it in until reinforcements arrive and/or the umpire calls time. If an opponent has the ball then he'll be harassed, tackled and/or pressured so that there's no easy outlet. If JSOS is a little too far off to impact the contest then he'll manoeuvre himself into a position where he can be used as an option if a team mate wins the ball, but he'll also have an opposition player covered off that he can close down should the opposition win the ball. And for every goal he kicks himself he sets up another two. Along with Weitering, Docherty and Kennedy, Silvagni is one of the smartest players on our list. So who misses out??? Many here won't like this, but McGovern. Gulp...........I can hear the piglets squealing already.

101.jpg
Jack Silvagni set to launch the ball inside 50.

Given that Cox and Hoskin-Elliott were the only real recognisable best 22 forwards the Pies fielded our defence had a reasonably easy time of it in many ways. Apart from Marchbank we fielded a pretty strong defensive unit that didn't waste any time ripping the inexperienced Pies front half to pieces. The only criticism I had was that Newman wasn't initially as switched on as he might have been during the first quarter and burnt the ball at times. After that he was fine. The thing that impressed me is that they didn't waste the opportunity to try out what they'd been practicing at training, by putting their foot on their opponent' throats and surging through middle on multiple occasions, launching the ball deep inside 50.

106.jpg
Newman takes stock after intercepting a Pies forward thrust

After years suffering no one would've enjoyed the return of Docherty and Willo more than Simmo. Along with Newman, their powerful running and good foot skills afforded him the opportunity of looking further afield than simply spotting up dinky little 15-20m kicks. It also wasn't unusual to see Simmo wander up onto the wing as well. I can't emphasise how much easier their jobs were made by the pressure put on the opposition in the front half and through the middle. It allowed our defenders to run straight and hard at a ball that often falling short or mis-directed rather than having to go and fetch it after being kicked over their heads and then turn around to face the onslaught of an advancing army. It may sound strange, but if they continue to play in this vein it may have the potential to prolong Simmo's career rather than bring about its demise.

109.jpg
Old dogs, new tricks.

Jones is one of those few players who can make the awkward or unorthodox look regulation. Whether marking the ball, spoiling or kicking, none of it looks as though it quite comes out of the coaching manual. Went about his business in the usual non-fuss Jones manner whether it be against Darcy Cameron or Mason Cox.

111.jpg
After back-pedalling Jones takes a mark at full stretch.

Likewise, Weitering looked pretty solid against Cox before going off with a minor quad. May miss against Freo, but I think it was more precautionary than anything.

110.jpg
Blinded by the light. Cox and Pittonet loose sight of the ball in the sun while the ever-reliable Weitering slaps it away.

The lack of Martin, Fisher and SPS meant that I didn't get to Setterfield operate through the guts as much I'd have liked. Instead he found himself out on the wing and changing through the front half with a little time spent on the ball. He's obviously quicker than he looks because he can close opponents down quite rapidly even when they've got a few metres on him and his one-touch ball gathering yesterday meant the opposition rarely laid a glove on him before he disposed of it. Most of his disposals that I saw were by hand and they were generally quick, clean and precise. It wasn't unusual to Walsh, Philp or Murphy lining up for an easy possession when Setters was gathering the ball. The other thing I like about Setters is all the bumps, blocks and shepherds he provides as well as the occasional bone-crunching tackle. The only thing I'd like to see players like Walsh & Philp do is look around when they take off as Setters has usually followed up for the one-two if they're awake to it.

108.jpg
Young guns. Setters fires out a handball to Walsh.

Kennedy had a very solid game and like JSOS he's a very smart operator. If he didn't snaffle the ball in the air then he'd scrap for it on the deck and fire it out by hand to a team mate in a better position. One of the advantages both Kennedy and JSOS provide is they operate as inside mids during stoppages in the front half allowing the luxury of Cripps and Setterfield to operate half a kick behind the play and deny the opposition an easy exit. They can also operate as genuine inside mids if injury or rotations require it. Like a number of players Kennedy looks a lot leaner this season and being free of injury he certainly looked more mobile with having greater freedom of movement. Played pretty much the entire match and spent some of the latter portion as an inside mid where he acquitted himself well. Provides Teague with a lot of flexibility and footy nous.

112.jpg
Kennedy comes to the bench for a well-earned break. Super-exciting stiff to keep you riveted to your seat.

Murphy was a very influential player early in the piece, both in the centre and around the ground. Not only does he look fit, but he also seemed to benefit from Pittonet's bustling style of ruck work. The other area where his game really benefitted was from the speed the ball came out of defence. Both Murphy and Newnes often found themselves in space on the wing having the ball delivered on a platter from one of Willo, Doc, Newman or Simmo. Both would then get on their bike and then pump the ball forward. Murphy is not one that's been spoken about much, but he looks in tremendous touch.

10.jpg
Murphy snaps up another centre clearance, while Cripps takes off for the handball receive. Note the work Wills puts in on Walsh. Remember what I said about being hunted. Not sure there's another player who enjoys footy more than Sidebottom. There's nowhere else he'd rather be and his smile says it all. Is footy, is good!!!

Another who had a day out was Casboult and big Levi simply picked up from where he left off last year. Although the Pies were missing many of their best players, Casboult was up against Moore up forward and Grundy for the majority of the time he went into the ruck. He was a constant threat in the air and the speed at which the ball came in really made his life easier. Four majors was great reward for a solid days work and one gets the feeling he won't be consigned to the magoos when McKay and Charlie become available for selection.

105.jpg
Casboult puts the heat on Grundy to affect the kick downfield.

The last player I'll put up for the day is MrPlow and as we all know there's never enough love for Plow. Had a pretty fuss-free day did the big fella and like our other running defenders he took the opportunity to venture up the ground and even kick a goal.

Plow1.jpg
This way home says Gibbons and Plow obliges by slotting the goal.

On a few others.....

Whenever I set about selecting a best 22 I generally convince myself to leave Jack Silvagni out, but every single time I see him play the "WTF Were You Thinking" warning lamp starts flashing bright red. If the ball is anywhere near him then JSOS will find some way or some how to impose a presence on that contest. If he can't impact the contest in the air, then he'll impact it on the ground. If he can't gain possession on the first attempt then he'll give 2nd, 3rd and 4th attempts until he can. If he can't mark the ball in an aerial contest then he'll try to halve the it by spoiling his opponent, knocking the ball out of bounds or locking it in until reinforcements arrive and/or the umpire calls time. If an opponent has the ball then he'll be harassed, tackled and/or pressured so that there's no easy outlet. If JSOS is a little too far off to impact the contest then he'll manoeuvre himself into a position where he can be used as an option if a team mate wins the ball, but he'll also have an opposition player covered off that he can close down should the opposition win the ball. And for every goal he kicks himself he sets up another two. Along with Weitering, Docherty and Kennedy, Silvagni is one of the smartest players on our list. So who misses out??? Many here won't like this, but McGovern. Gulp...........I can hear the piglets squealing already.

View attachment 827090

Given that Cox and Hoskin-Elliott were the only real recognisable best 22 forwards the Pies fielded our defence had a reasonably easy time of it in many ways. Apart from Marchbank we fielded a pretty strong defensive unit that didn't waste any time ripping the inexperienced Pies front half to pieces. The only criticism I had was that Newman wasn't initially as switched on as he might have been during the first quarter and burnt the ball at times. After that he was fine. The thing that impressed me is that they didn't waste the opportunity to try out what they'd been practicing at training, by putting their foot on their opponent' throats and surging through middle on multiple occasions, launching the ball deep inside 50.

View attachment 827293

After years suffering no one would've enjoyed the return of Docherty and Willo more than Simmo. Along with Newman, their powerful running and good foot skills afforded him the opportunity of looking further afield than simply spotting up dinky little 15-20m kicks. It also wasn't unusual to see Simmo wander up onto the wing as well. I can't emphasise how much easier their jobs were made by the pressure put on the opposition in the front half and through the middle. It allowed our defenders to run straight and hard at a ball that often falling short or mis-directed rather than having to go and fetch it after being kicked over their heads and then turn around to face the onslaught of an advancing army. It may sound strange, but if they continue to play in this vein it may have the potential to prolong Simmo's career rather than bring about its demise.

View attachment 827109
Old dogs, new tricks.

Jones is one of those few players who can make the awkward or unorthodox look regulation. Whether marking the ball, spoiling or kicking, none of it looks as though it quite comes out of the coaching manual. Went about his business in the usual non-fuss Jones manner whether it be against Darcy Cameron or Mason Cox.

View attachment 827135

Likewise, Weitering looked pretty solid against Cox before going off with a minor quad. May miss against Freo, but I think it was more precautionary than anything.

View attachment 827138
Blinded by the light. Cox and Pittonet loose sight of the ball in the sun while the ever-reliable Weitering slaps it away.

The lack of Martin, Fisher and SPS meant that I didn't get to Setterfield operate through the guts as much I'd have liked. Instead he found himself out on the wing and changing through the front half with a little time spent on the ball. He's obviously quicker than he looks because he can close opponents down quite rapidly even when they've got a few metres on him and his one-touch ball gathering yesterday meant the opposition rarely laid a glove on him before he disposed of it. Most of his disposals that I saw were by hand and they were generally quick, clean and precise. It wasn't unusual to Walsh, Philp or Murphy lining up for an easy possession when Setters was gathering the ball. The other thing I like about Setters is all the bumps, blocks and shepherds he provides as well as the occasional bone-crunching tackle. The only thing I'd like to see players like Walsh & Philp do is look around when they take off as Setters has usually followed up for the one-two if they're awake to it.

View attachment 827150

Kennedy had a very solid game and like JSOS he's a very smart operator. If he didn't snaffle the ball in the air then he'd scrap for it on the deck and fire it out by hand to a team mate in a better position. One of the advantages both Kennedy and JSOS provide is they operate as inside mids during stoppages in the front half allowing the luxury of Cripps and Setterfield to operate half a kick behind the play and deny the opposition an easy exit. They can also operate as genuine inside mids if injury or rotations require it. Like a number of players Kennedy looks a lot leaner this season and being free of injury he certainly looked more mobile with having greater freedom of movement. Played pretty much the entire match and spent some of the latter portion as an inside mid where he acquitted himself well. Provides Teague with a lot of flexibility and footy nous.

View attachment 827201
Kennedy comes to the bench for a well-earned break. Super-exciting stiff to keep you riveted to your seat.

Murphy was a very influential player early in the piece, both in the centre and around the ground. Not only does he look fit, but he also seemed to benefit from Pittonet's bustling style of ruck work. The other area where his game really benefitted was from the speed the ball came out of defence. Both Murphy and Newnes often found themselves in space on the wing having the ball delivered on a platter from one of Willo, Doc, Newman or Simmo. Both would then get on their bike and then pump the ball forward. Murphy is not one that's been spoken about much, but he looks in tremendous touch.

View attachment 827186
Murphy snaps up another centre clearance, while Cripps takes off for the handball receive. Note the work Wills puts in on Walsh. Remember what I said about being hunted. Not sure there's another player who enjoys footy more than Sidebottom. There's nowhere else he'd rather be and his smile says it all. Is footy, is good!!!

Another who had a day out was Casboult and big Levi simply picked up from where he left off last year. Although the Pies were missing many of their best players, Casboult was up against Moore up forward and Grundy for the majority of the time he went into the ruck. He was a constant threat in the air and the speed at which the ball came in really made his life easier. Four majors was great reward for a solid days work and one gets the feeling he won't be consigned to the magoos when McKay and Charlie become available for selection.

View attachment 827205

The last player I'll put up for the day is MrPlow and as we all know there's never enough love for Plow. Had a pretty fuss-free day did the big fella and like our other running defenders he took the opportunity to venture up the ground and even kick a goal.

View attachment 827288
Smoking Gun,
Amazing, the photo of Jsos a ripper. And keep heeding that red light on him. You summed it up. He is a ripper.
why didn't his brother play?

On a few others.....

View attachment 827090

View attachment 827293

View attachment 827109
Old dogs, new tricks.

View attachment 827135

View attachment 827138

View attachment 827150

View attachment 827201

View attachment 827186

View attachment 827205

View attachment 827288

Another great write up Smokey

That shot of Jack is mesmerizing

Smoking Gun,
Amazing, the photo of Jsos a ripper. And keep heeding that red light on him. You summed it up. He is a ripper.
why didn't his brother play?
I asked this.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Ben Silvagni did play.

6 getting ahead of himself in lairy white boots.........knuckle down and get the basics right, young man.........

109-jpg.827109
We're very good on this board at pulling people up when it comes to racial, religious and sexual vilification along with any other aspect of political correctness that happens to take our fancy at the time, but when it comes to the simple law of copyright it all becomes a bit hard. Quoting is fine, because it shows where you acquired the image from.

You are viewed by many as a leader here thylacine60 and if others see you do it then they think its fine for them to do it as well. Ask and you shall receive, but please don't make me watermark them up like Getty Images because then its no fun for anyone.

Thanks for your co-operation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are viewed by many as a leader here thylacine60 and if others see you do it then they think its fine for them to do it as well. Ask and you shall receive, but please don't make me watermark them up like Getty Images because then its no fun for anyone.

you can't be serious - stick your photos in your arse, champion...........

Hopefully both of these were a joke

Ben Silvagni did play.

We're very good on this board at pulling people up when it comes to racial, religious and sexual vilification along with any other aspect of political correctness that happens to take our fancy at the time, but when it comes to the simple law of copyright it all becomes a bit hard. Quoting is fine, because it shows where you acquired the image from.

Thnx gun .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

These predictions never factor in the big jump from a talented young list.

2015 Western Bulldogs 14th up to 6th
2016 GWS 11th up to 4th
2017 Richmond 13th up to 3rd (won flag). Admittedly had been thereabouts before an injury affected year in '16.
2018 Collingwood 13th up to 2nd
2019 Brisbane 15th up to 2nd

It has happened the last 5 years, and yet no-one factors it in to their calculations.
I've said previously I reckon we are closest to the GWS situation - gradual improvement, (games into kids might hurt ladder position) then jump in the 5th year.
Morally we were around 11th last year without the handbrake on for the first 11 games. Going 6 and 5 under Teague supports an 11th-ish finish.

Geelong are a Dangerfield injury away from a big fall. Pies may have peaked. Bombers are gone.
Plenty of room for us :)
Agree with this 100%. If Charlie and Harry were fit and firing 6th would not be out of the question. Richmond, GWS, West Coast, Collingwood and the Dogs are a clear top 5 IMO, but 6th-8th is wide open. Charlie is such a special player - such a shame his talent in 2019 & (likely) 2020 is wasted.

Ben Silvagni did play.

Photo’s are seriously professional and much appreciated great talent and artistic flair .
Some nice observations and insights to players.
But political correctness that takes a fancy is belligerently apathetic

Photo’s are seriously professional and much appreciated great talent and artistic flair .
Some nice observations and insights to players.
But political correctness that takes a fancy is belligerently apathetic
Kicking is jacks weakness and McGoverns strength goals from 50 or 45 will put McGovern in front of jack as forward and McGoverns marking as well
Jack can get there but is a year and half to two years behind a fit McGovern.
Not to say they can’t both work in the forward line but jack will feed of McGoverns leads and power

Remove this Banner Ad

Back