AFLW AFLW Season 4, 2020 - Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

šŸ˜ž

Scans this morning have confirmed Nina Morrison ruptured the ACL graft in her right knee last night.

Morrison sustained the injury in the third quarter of Geelongā€™s loss to North Melbourne at GMHBA Stadium.

This is the second ACL injury to Morrisonā€™s right knee after the 19-year-old ruptured her right ACL in February 2019.

The clubā€™s AFLW medical team will work to determine Morrisonā€™s surgery and rehabilitation plan in the coming days.

I've flipped over to the Lions vs Pies match which is the first with no crowds permitted - there's an outer fence around the ground & it does have the odd fan outside that fence watching the match, while others are sitting on cars in the car park

The ban hasn't stopped people doing their best to support the gals & watch footy

šŸ˜ž

Scans this morning have confirmed Nina Morrison ruptured the ACL graft in her right knee last night.

Morrison sustained the injury in the third quarter of Geelongā€™s loss to North Melbourne at GMHBA Stadium.

This is the second ACL injury to Morrisonā€™s right knee after the 19-year-old ruptured her right ACL in February 2019.

The clubā€™s AFLW medical team will work to determine Morrisonā€™s surgery and rehabilitation plan in the coming days.

I'm sure it's far too early for Nina to be making binding decisions on where she goes from here.

But I, for one, really hope she seriously considers the possibility of retirement. Got through one game last year, and is now gone again with an injury to the same knee after getting through only five games this season. Two reconstructions in 13 months.

She is clearly a cut above and would be an absolutely magnificent player if the injury can be dealt with to hold up in the long term. But how many times do you go through this (with the knowledge that it is going to have impacts on your overall health and mobility later in life), in the current climate of being paid a pittance to play the game?

She won't be realistically making any meaningful coin over the length of any career she has in footy. The game is just not set up for that in the foreseeable future. So playing for little more than the love of the game when the risks of further injury and serious impairment of your mobility appear to be significant starts to become a really big ask.

No one would be happier than me to see her come back and dominate the comp for years to come. She deserves so much better than the wretched experience she has had in AFLW so far. But I do hope that every possible outcome is properly considered from this point on.

Despite all the intimations to the contrary from many of us around here at times, footy really isn't even close to being everything in life.

Wishing you all the best, Nina. In footy and in life.

Richmond become the first team to not kick a goal in AFLW history :hearteyes:

I was watching prematch coverage and the Tigers were being talked up - Peta Searle acknowledged that Richmond has caused St Kilda trouble at VFLW level in the past so they were expecting a tight contest

Even the commentators were tipping Richmond for a win

s**t result for them

Saw this on Facebook - lol Richmond...

More interesting with the tigers, they may now hold the lowest score in AFLW with 0.3 (3). But in the Tigers menā€™s, their lowest club score was also a goalless match, as the tigers scored 0.8 (8), which was also against St Kilda at the Junction Oval back in round 16, 1961!

Richmond become the first team to not kick a goal in AFLW history :hearteyes:

They can gladly take the record for the lowest AFLW score off us. :)

Can't remember seeing this....

Aasta Oā€™Connor, Geelong Cats, has been charged with Striking Vivien Saad, North Melbourne, during the fourth quarter of the match between the Geelong Cats and North Melbourne played at GMHBA Stadium on Friday, March 13.

In summary she can accept a $700 fine with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was classified as intentional conduct with low impact and body contact. The incident was classified as a $1,100 sanction as a third offence. The player can accept a $700 fine with an early plea.

Must be the jumper...
She does wear the #14 and we have seen a few odd MRO decisions against the other #14 who wears the hoops

She does wear the #14 and we have seen a few odd MRO decisions against the other #14 who wears the hoops

Maybe it's just as well Maddie Boyd has been missing the last few weeks in that case... ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crappy way to end it for the girls really - especially on the back of Nina's knee.

That said - the future is incredibly bright for the game, the club and most importantly this team.

WE have a good mix of older and younger players with exceptional talent.

Lets hope we can keep as many as possible together and forge on into 2021.

Go Catters

ps - And thanks to Mel Hickey for leading the club in its first 2 years. Great trail blazer. Thanks Mel.

GO Catters

Geelong Football Club royalty.

You would hope we would fit Mel into our coaching staff in some capacity for the 2021 season (and even the 2020 VFLW season once it begins.)

Pretty decent resume too....

Melissa Hickey ā€“ Career highlights
  • Played 25thAFLW game ā€“ Round 6, 2020
  • Captained Geelong AFLW 2019-2020
  • AFLW All-Australian 2017
  • Represented Victoria in AFLW State of Origin 2017
  • Member of Melbourneā€™s first AFLW team v Brisbane - Round 1, 2017
  • Member of Darebin Premiership team 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
  • Lisa Hardeman medal (VWFL GF BOG) 2013
  • VFLW Team of the Year 2016, 2017
  • VFLW All-Australian 2011
  • Represented Victoria in national championships 2011, 2013, 2015

Well, that certainly was abrupt.

I wonder if a few of the girls will be relieved to not have to keep going considering everything else that's going on.

Well, that certainly was abrupt.

I wonder if a few of the girls will be relieved to not have to keep going considering everything else that's going on.
The answer to that would a resounding no.
My daughter's season has just been "postponed" after five months of hard pre-season, and I can tell you her and her team mates are shattered.
AFLW season is already too short, so I seriously doubt the Geelong girls would be anything but disappointed.

The answer to that would a resounding no.
My daughter's season has just been "postponed" after five months of hard pre-season, and I can tell you her and her team mates are shattered.
AFLW season is already too short, so I seriously doubt the Geelong girls would be anything but disappointed.

I don't doubt for a second they'd want the season to go ahead in an ideal world. I know that personally I'm self isolating as much as possible, and wouldn't blame any footballer for feeling relieved to no longer have to go out and play.

I don't doubt for a second they'd want the season to go ahead in an ideal world. I know that personally I'm self isolating as much as possible, and wouldn't blame any footballer for feeling relieved to no longer have to go out and play.
The danger is in the grandstands, not so much on the playing field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back