AFLW AFLW Season 4, 2020 - Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there is a physiology element to it - I know from personal experience that I have a lot of problems with my left knee, with a key underlying reason is being a woman and the alignment between hips & knees in comparison with men; wider hips coming into the knee, versus men that are more straight through that area. I never actually looked at it from a hormonal/menstrual point of view, but if(when) I have further issues in the future, that's something I may start recording or taking note of

The harder grounds may be an element or a contributing factor but I don't think it's as simple as saying it's one or the other - if it was just a case of harder grounds being the reason, why don't we see more ACL's by soccer players? Soccer seasons in both Australia & America are played for the duration of their respective summers and I just don't recall hearing about the spate of ACL's from those leagues. And even from a "football" perspective, the Northern Territory Football League finals start this weekend - be interesting to see what their spate of ACL injuries are because surely the grounds in the NT aren't somehow softer than the grounds that AFLW is played on

I think there's validity to seeing what contribution hormones may play - I thought it was very easy to dismiss until looking more into it and seeing the various big name clubs & organisations around the world for whom it is a genuine consideration. I think we are constantly learning more about the ways our bodies work, so why not explore if this is a contributing factor

It sound's like we're in the same boat.

No doubt there is hormonal factor.

There have also been a number of studies including one commissioned by the AFL back in 2001 that concluded that the climate/surface factor increases the likelihood of ACLS. There are also studies of soccer teams that play in the same league- the teams in the hotter climates have more acls.

The problem with some of these studies is that there are some confounding factors like type of grass etc. But there is definitely a trend that the hotter the climate/the drier the grass, the more acls.

That the AFL is choosing to publicise the hormone research instead of the surface/climate factor tells you all you need to know about the AFL.

I thought this was a headline grab given the knockers of the AFLW comp.... i have been educated otherwise - see the CAt attack podcast from last week - and its a real thing.
BE intersted to see the results - given the wife did her knee in college Volleyball and I have 2 sporty daughters.

GO Catters

Definitely the real thing. I meant that surface/heat/climate also increase ACLs yet for some reason the AFL isn't commissioning (another) study to research this again. They have their answers and they don't want to change the dates of the season. So they're focusing on the more convenient hormone factor that they don't have to take direct responsibility for.

Saints winning is good for AFLW:thumbsu:
They were doing well last week and leading well into the last quarter - Adelaide then took control and had something of a comfortable winning margin

Good to see them get the win tonight and not fall away in the last

I came into town to do some shopping before the game and just remembered I left my guernsey at home 😥

I have thought about going home & coming back to the game as it's like only a half hour round trip - but I have an awesome park right across from the ground

Trying to justify to myself that it's ok because it's 30c+ outside so I don't need my guernsey over the top of my polo in this heat

Just feels weird

At this stage I believe we are fielding the team as named on Friday - I'm sitting beside the player race & was able to watch them come out for on ground warmups

Hickey led them out - never seems much of a smile on her face, maybe it's just GameDay focused face

I was looking as the names on the back of shirts as they came out & ticking off the recognisable names - everyone's out & heading towards the players stand but no McDonald

She was like a minute behind her teammates - thinking it was done to scare the fans into thinking she was a late out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this stage I believe we are fielding the team as named on Friday - I'm sitting beside the player race & was able to watch them come out for on ground warmups

Hickey led them out - never seems much of a smile on her face, maybe it's just GameDay focused face

I was looking as the names on the back of shirts as they came out & ticking off the recognisable names - everyone's out & heading towards the players stand but no McDonald

She was like a minute behind her teammates - thinking it was done to scare the fans into thinking she was a late out
I wish i could see the girls live hopefully if they play up here sometime soon i can go watch

Such a gift watching Tigers get owned:cool:
Tigers getting smashed - so how much do you bet they'll push for this to be goal of the year as a means of allowing them something to celebrate...

Sorry, here's the goal - forgot to post link before

Last edited:
Not sure I like both Garing & Rocky starting up forward - surely we could use at least one of them at the centre bounce, especially the first of the match

Remove this Banner Ad

Back