Mergers will come back onto the table (which Victorian teams would make the best case for merging?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sticksman

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
https://www.theage.com.au/podcast/t...come-back-onto-the-table-20200325-p54dql.html

“Caroline Wilson, Jake Niall and Michael Gleeson discuss the long-term impacts of the shutdown on the game, including the fact that club mergers are back on the table. Is this how the number of clubs in Victoria get reduced?”

I haven’t listened to the podcast, but the premise got me thinking. If the AFL was determined to reduce the number of Victorian teams (through merging) from the current 10 down to 6 (drastic I know) which clubs would make the best fit? Would it make sense for the Hawthorn-Melbourne merge that almost happened many years ago still make sense? Would Geelong be a natural merge with the Western Bulldogs? I know many here, me included, would see the GCS as an obvious team to eliminate but for this exercise (it’s intended to be fun and not deadly serious) I’d like the rationalisation to take place through Victorian teams only.

Any suggestions on teams to merge?

Any merger would not result in both lists becoming a giant pool for the new entity to select the very best. A draft system would be used to ensure a super team isn't created overnight.

The 10 Victorian teams are:

Carlton
Collingwood
Essendon
Geelong
Hawthorn
Melbourne
North Melbourne
Richmond
St Kilda
Western Bulldogs

Seeing as both Hawthorn and North have shown a desire to play in Tasmania I'd say merge them and then play at least 6 home games in Hobart. Melbourne and Carlton seem like a good fit.

The object is to reduce from 10 to 6. It might be easier to name 4 teams that are big enough to survive and prosper in a competition that has been gutted of revenue. I think 2 survivors would be:

Geelong
Collingwood

but I am struggling to name 2 more.

https://www.theage.com.au/podcast/t...come-back-onto-the-table-20200325-p54dql.html

“Caroline Wilson, Jake Niall and Michael Gleeson discuss the long-term impacts of the shutdown on the game, including the fact that club mergers are back on the table. Is this how the number of clubs in Victoria get reduced?”

I haven’t listened to the podcast, but the premise got me thinking. If the AFL was determined to reduce the number of Victorian teams (through merging) from the current 10 down to 6 (drastic I know) which clubs would make the best fit? Would it make sense for the Hawthorn-Melbourne merge that almost happened many years ago still make sense? Would Geelong be a natural merge with the Western Bulldogs? I know many here, me included, would see the GCS as an obvious team to eliminate but for this exercise (it’s intended to be fun and not deadly serious) I’d like the rationalisation to take place through Victorian teams only.

Good thread. Love a good merger!
Us and North makes sense because of the cricket club. We go back a long way.
Dogs, North and Essendon are pretty close together. But No one would wanna merge with Essendon so maybe the Footscray Kangas.
Saints and Hawks make sense.
Melbourne and Carlton make a lot of sense!
The wealthy man's team.
Or stick Melbourne in Tassie, I dunno they just have to go somewhere.
Don't get the "Oh but we need a team called Melbourne!"
Is there an EPL team called London?
Brissy and Suns should merge. They both don't generate money. South East Lions or something.

The object is to reduce from 10 to 6. It might be easier to name 4 teams that are big enough to survive and prosper in a competition that has been gutted of revenue. I think 2 survivors would be:

Geelong
Collingwood

but I am struggling to name 2 more.
Are we though? We have no pokies or real outside income. Membership not huge.
If we're all in the s**t no way are people gonna be able to pay for reserved seats at KP.
Our main income earner outside TV rights.

I agree with peoples thoughts on the Gold Coast Suns but the Qld Government and others would sue the bejesus out of the AFL.Solution could be found in transferring Brisbane down there maybe to see out the ground contract.

Are we though? We have no pokies or real outside income. Membership not huge.
If we're all in the s**t no way are people gonna be able to pay for reserved seats at KP.
Our main income earner outside TV rights.
The club had to be bailed out by donations a couple of years ago, so no, it's not in an incredibly strong financial position. Everything gained from the successful years was re-invested into the stadium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Brissie have a contract with whoever runs the 'Gabba? I presume its a cricket outfit like the M.C.C.
Not sure but there has been talk of them relocating in the past to Logan a southern suburb where they own a Pokies Taj mahal ,and the ground facilities at the gabba i believe leave a lot to be desighered.

Essendon / Bulldogs
Carlton / North
Melbourne / Saints
Fold GC and GWS

13 teams, 24 game season with everyone playing each other twice H&A. Remove the week off before finals and the split round since everyone will get two byes anyway with the odd teams.

Last edited:
I prefer shorter quarters (20min no time added), mandatory byes for players (but not teams, players can only play a max number of games in a season) and a 34 game H+A season (Feb to Oct)

This isn’t pretty, but I think it will come from 18 teams down to 12, or if they get scared, 14.

Cats/Bulldogs makes geographical sense. The AFL will need to hold onto Geelong as an entity because Hutchy might be right, they’ll have to auction off Etihad and will want a boutique base near Melbourne. (After the merger ... who owns Whitten Oval? Noice real estate, Kimmy.)

St Kilda/Hawthorn makes geographical sense. The new East Melbourne Hawks still wouldn't have a good base, so share digs with Richmond. (Of course, if the AFL were looking to the bigger picture, they’d merge the Saints into the Demons and resolve two millennia of spiritual conflict.)

Carlton absorb North: Carlton Kangaroos, based at Carlton. North’s assets sold and put into the AFL.

Essendon prefers to go bust rather than merge; they survive. Ditto Tigers, but in Tasmania. Collingwood absorb Melbourne.

Brisbane absorbs the Gold Coast, Swans absorb GWS. Basing the Queensland Suns in Logan is not ideal – poor public transport from both Brisbane and Gold Coast. It would be impossible to maintain two home grounds..

Victoria has five clubs and interstate teams are a majority. Victoria is angry; the rest of Australia is happy. Players from merged teams are given the option of moving back to a club in their home state. There are 12 teams, and 22-week home and away season. Just like before ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back