Mega Thread The Daniher Debacle

Remove this Banner Ad

I cannot see any way Essendon match anything for Daniher, doing that they may end up having to keep him. Even Dodoro isn't that stupid. Essendon to be happy with a compensation pick. If we offer any sort of trade for Daniher, our team should get up and show themselves to the door. It will be the stupidest trade offer ever made for a restricted free agent
Why didn't Essendon play ball last trade period then? Putting aside coronavirus, they were intent on keeping Daniher when he now appears to be chronic and they will get less for him in a compensation pick. How are they in a better position?

If we had traded two first round picks to get Daniher last trade period. We would have had to offer a big long term salary probably most of it backended.

So I am glad that did not happen given the uncertainty over lists and budgets. Because it would not give us much room to manoeuvre.

Also I can't criticise Essendon for not doing the trade. They wanted to take a gamble on Daniher recovering and becoming a star again. Just like how clubs extend the contract of a top draft pick and hope he finally comes good. Rather than delist him

Can't agree.

They missed a massive opportunity. They had an injury-prone player who wanted out of their club. Reckon it's pretty common-sense to try and off-load said player. But when you start making ridiculous demands - ie refusing draft picks and only going after certain players that the other club would never trade - then I think that's boxing yourself in.

Also shows their arrogance/delusion, that they actually thought they were so close to a flag that the addition of a Heeney or a Mills or a Florent or a Blakey would get them there. They're rabble, haven't won a final in, what, fifteen years? They should actually be a rebuilding team. Should've been after draft picks the whole time but instead they missed out on any of the three potential rewards: didn't get any of our prized youngsters, didn't get any draft picks, didn't get the salary relief of no longer paying a bloke to sit on the sidelines.

Dodo is a dud.

Can't agree.

They missed a massive opportunity. They had an injury-prone player who wanted out of their club. Reckon it's pretty common-sense to try and off-load said player. But when you start making ridiculous demands - ie refusing draft picks and only going after certain players that the other club would never trade - then I think that's boxing yourself in.

Also shows their arrogance/delusion, that they actually thought they were so close to a flag that the addition of a Heeney or a Mills or a Florent or a Blakey would get them there. They're rabble, haven't won a final in, what, fifteen years? They should actually be a rebuilding team. Should've been after draft picks the whole time but instead they missed out on any of the three potential rewards: didn't get any of our prized youngsters, didn't get any draft picks, didn't get the salary relief of no longer paying a bloke to sit on the sidelines.

Dodo is a dud.
My gut feeling is that the higher ups really believe all they need is a fit Daniher so they deliberately asked for ridiculous things to force the trade to not go through. They wanted a fit Daniher to play, win them some games and get him to "change his mind and fall back in love with the club".

My gut feeling is that the higher ups really believe all they need is a fit Daniher so they deliberately asked for ridiculous things to force the trade to not go through. They wanted a fit Daniher to play, win them some games and get him to "change his mind and fall back in love with the club".

I don't judge that mentality if it's in relation to a player who has proven his worth. Like Papley for example, coming off a 37-goal season as a small forward, or when Geelong played hard-ball over Kelly a few years back. But IMO Daniher is now an unknown entity. Two years with so little footy, so much injury grief, and now his mind elsewhere does not make him a certain-bet, so was not worth playing hard-ball over in my opinion.

I still want the prick if he checks out

He is an absolute gun and a athletic freak for his size that changes the course of a game of his own boot

These blokes are what the difference normally is in finalS games

For the right price though. He's not certain to be an absolute gun. 3 years is a long time to play SFA footy. Very different to say when we signed Buddy who was averaging about 22 games a year throughout his career and just coming off a 60-goal flag season.

I know you think he'd be cheap, but if the club thinks he's an absolute gun and an athletic freak and a game-changer in finals, he's not gonna come cheap is he?

For the right price though. He's not certain to be an absolute gun. 3 years is a long time to play SFA footy. Very different to say when we signed Buddy who was averaging about 22 games a year throughout his career and just coming off a 60-goal flag season.

I know you think he'd be cheap, but if the club thinks he's an absolute gun and an athletic freak and a game-changer in finals, he's not gonna come cheap is he?

That’s the million dollar question. What price would you pay? Personally I’m only offering a 2 year deal with triggers. At least that protects us. The last thing we need is to offer 4 years and him not to play again

Jon Patton is the one to watch this year, Joe is using his playbook. No real concern here just get him to the club.

Even if Joe busts its not going to set us back much. Our window withiut him wont be until 2023ish anyway.

Jon Patton is the one to watch this year, Joe is using his playbook. No real concern here just get him to the club.

Even if Joe busts its not going to set us back much. Our window withiut him wont be until 2023ish anyway.

Patton is value wise what we should be offering Essendon at the absolute utter most.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a gun and showed , fact

But if he checks out and being a rfa not playing just works in our favour thst he wants to come to us

I just dont know. Very high risk/reward

Indeed. I'd hate for a contract on Daniher to potentially cost us one or a few young players we hope will make up the core of our team in the coming years. We wouldn't take a player who has barely played in three years if we didn't think he was a superstar. In that case, I fail to see how he would not cost us, and potentially hurt us.

Tippit was also an absolute star, but injury has coloured his swannies career very differently. I wouldn't want the same thing to happen to daniher, triggers are the key to that. Can't suffer through another injury prone bloke on the bench for x amount of years, no matter how good he is on the field.

Fits our youth profile in that he is relatively young. Though can we afford him when we are still paying Buddy for two more years on mega.

I’d want some triggers in the contract surely. Last thing we need is another Tippett.

Why didn't Essendon play ball last trade period then? Putting aside coronavirus, they were intent on keeping Daniher when he now appears to be chronic and they will get less for him in a compensation pick. How are they in a better position?
They turned it into a pissing contest.

I honestly cant see essendon getting offered anything better than ...accept the compo.

I also cant see Dodo accepting this. He will look like an idiot after being offer 2 x 1sts a year before.

They will match- almost guarantee it. Dodo will for self-preservation.

I honestly cant see essendon getting offered anything better than ...accept the compo.

I also cant see Dodo accepting this. He will look like an idiot after being offer 2 x 1sts a year before.

They will match- almost guarantee it. Dodo will for self-preservation.

whatever it takes!

I don’t think the decision won’t be Dodo’s...he will just be the one actioning it. Reduced list sizes next year make every spot more critical, you can’t carry a player who is not wanting to be there and less that 5050 in the body dept.

Can't agree.

Dodo is a dud.
If I was a Dons fan I'd believe we wouldn't be too far off going for the premiership. Great backline, solid midfield, good coach and only missing piece is a star forward - ala Daniher. They definately need to get a lot of things right but their core is mid to late 20s. If they rebuild now they'll set themselves back 5yrs

If I was a Dons fan I'd believe we wouldn't be too far off going for the premiership. Great backline, solid midfield, good coach and only missing piece is a star forward - ala Daniher. They definately need to get a lot of things right but their core is mid to late 20s. If they rebuild now they'll set themselves back 5yrs

Solid midfield? Highly generous to say the least.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back