Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:

Buddy’s wages are grossly overstated. At the time it was huge but now it’s pretty standard for a teams best player. Hell Polec is on nearly a mill a year
Also, how much of his salary includes his additional services agreement money?

End of the day Buddy has been a major success for us. I think he has added much to what we are and without him dont worry about not winning GFs, we wouldn't of made them. He has won many games off his own boot, particularly though those competing years. Too much jealousy clouds judgements on this I think. I have no doubt, go back in time and let everyone know how to construct the deal to get Buddy, just about everyone does that deal. I have no doubt the AFL would certainly have done that deal to get him to GWS.

Buddy has provided the best footy watching years of my life. We've got every cent and more's worth both on and off the field.

2005 and 2012 were the pinnacle, but week to week, Buddy has just been a joy. Seems absurd to call him a failure because we underperformed for a combined 6 hours in 2014 and 2016.

Shut him down for the season and let's hope he can get on the park for round 1 2021.

If we win it this year it is a perfectly legitimate flag and I will credit Buddy with being the catalyst and obviously his recruitment was what won it for us. He is a genius that influences us from wherever - both on and off the filed.

If we don't win it is has nothing to do with him, he is injured, the 2020 flag is a tarnished chalice anyway so I don't care and it is everyone's else fault except Buddy. And screw Horse just to be safe.

This in the Hun article

View attachment 883456
You'd think they'd let existing salaries be cut by the same percentage if they lower the cap themselves. I doubt the AFLPA will let it happen. Might negate the increase but no way are players walking away with less money

You'd think they'd let existing salaries be cut by the same percentage if they lower the cap themselves. I doubt the AFLPA will let it happen. Might negate the increase but no way are players walking away with less money
They are also suggesting lists being reduced to 35. So reduced cap will reflect in part the smaller lists.

This in the Hun article

View attachment 883456

I think the cap reductions are to be off set by list size reductions.....so the so called squeeze may not be a factor. Given the NRL are not touching salary caps, the AFL face an uphill battle to justify this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad to see Buddy injured and doubts over his future. Love the big fella still.

Buddy will be back and he'll get to 1000 goals, he might not have much in the tank but he has that. shame its not in brown and gold but he'll get there, and we'll all be glad to see it. Hope he ends a game on 999 so i can book a flight to see his 1000.

It all looks pretty sad for Bud. It's a darn shame to be honest. Hopefully it's just minor but certainly he won't play too much longer. Sam Reid should just retire

I can't agree that it's a darn shame. If Buddy were to retire right now, he'd be walking away a multi-millionaire, with two premierships, four Coleman Medals, eight All Australians, 7th-most goals in AFL/VFL history, 300 games, and a genuine claim as the greatest player of the modern era under his belt. If anyone has squeezed every ounce out of his career, it's been Buddy Franklin.

As it so happens I don't think he is close to being finished. He will play more games, and probably add to his already-ridiculous highlights reel. Whether he reaches the 1000-goal milestone, or returns to be a consistently fit and able contributor to the team, is not so certain.

On the outside it looks like a failure with no flags but looking a little deeper there have been other issues around the edges that have compounded our under achievement.

The trade ban really killed us and we are still paying for it. When you can only trade for two years with your arms tied behind your back it makes it impossible to add players around Buddy that would have made a big difference to our style and how Buddy was used. Fluck you Mike Fitzpatrick.

Constant Injury to other key players on the list that would have taken the pressure off Bud like Reid and Tippett didn't do him or the team any favours.

You can add that one of greatest players good booed out of the game when he had more to offer and again would have helped Bud and the team especially for 2016.

The other most contentious issues that we faced were the AFLs desire of a Bulldogs fairytale in 2016.
What other team has never got a free kick for half a game of footy in a GF. We were arguably bent over by the institution that day and our best player rolled an ankle 10 minutes in.

Grand Finals being played on the home deck of the opposition in their own state probably didn't help the cause either. Scum won their 3peat against interstate sides on their home ground Infront of their own fans and they had a fairly normal routine for GF week compared to a travelling interstate side. Play those games elsewhere and I'll bet my first born they don't win them all. Most overrated 3peat in the history of the game. (lots of other reasons I won't get into here) Has nothing on Brisbanes that's for sure.

As soon as Buddy come to the club the AFL and fat crunt Ed did their best to destroy what we were building and wanted this to fail. They put the mechanisms in place for us to fail and have enjoyed every second of it. We got reamed on COLA, Trade ban and probably other things I've forgotten about

It's not just looking at it from a Buddy centric point but looking at the big picture of what happened when he come to the club

As for dlick head Derm coming out today and saying Scum only expected Buds body to last to 2020 shows the hate he has for us and how hurt he is about the 2012 loss and how our brilliant list management at the time was far and beyond what other clubs could do. We really were astute and everyone hated us for it. I really hate that pr1ck.

I really hope Bud can get back up and give us another dozen special memories. Such a classy and brilliant player sad to see his body failing him at this point.

Glad to be back on the board after a break.
After that post, I hope you aren't going to take another break anytime soon.

Really enjoyed that post.

They don't win Premierships

This.

Nothing attracts members more than success. No individual is bigger than the club.

If our list drops out and we have a block of years outside of contention, wouldn't surprise me at all if our membership dropped back to pre-Buddy levels.

imo tippett, then extending him and giving reid longer years were way worse than buddy

especially tippett and buddy at the same time

but they almost pulled it off in terms of flags on the flip side

even we don't agree with every move at least it was bold, just hawks winning 2 and us 0 stings
It's one each as far as I'm concerned.
We played them twice on their home ground in Grand Finals so they had all the advantage each time.

One each is definitely a positive the way I look at it.

Back