Preview Round 4: Essendon vs Carlton, MCG, Saturday 27/06/2020 @ 7:40 PM (As it stands)

Winner winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All jokes aside it's actually become a bit pitiful to see how irrelevant a once big club like Carlton has become. There's almost a bit of the Sopranos 'sad clown' about them. I guess it's a survival of the fittest scenario where a club who's foundations are built on cheating and undermining the competition slides into the abyss in a far more professional era.

Sometimes you get a lifeline though and there is actually a nice fit for a merger with their equally struggling neighbours in North. Even your most ardent Carton supporters would agree that the Carlton Kangaroos would he an upgrade on their current brand.
To be honest, you can replace Carlton with Essendon and it'd be exactly the same image people have of Essendon (except no one has pity for Essendon).

Last edited:

Carlton by 17 points because every time I think Essendon should win they lose.

The Blues seem settled and are playing well while Essendon have some big outs and a degree of disruption over the Melbourne game.

I hope I am wrong and we flog them, but I fear the Blues will get a win.

Maybe you're right but i wouldn't like to say as its a very sensitive issue for their supporters (obviously). But sometimes, if we are honest, we see that something is so decayed and broken down that it's better to just bury it and move on. Maybe just pull down the old stands and build something for the kids so the whole memory can slowly fade away. A skate park or a merry go round or something. change the energy of the whole site from the 'bad things happened there' feel it has today. Maybe then over time even possums and birds and other animals will come back too.
Haha no. It can’t be saved. Burn it down and salt the ground.

Ins and Outs since last time they met:

Essendon INS: Shiel, Stringer, Fantasia, Smith, Ridley, Cutler, Townsend, Gleeson, Snelling

Essendon OUTS: Heppell, Clarke, Guelfi, McKenna, Begley, Baguley, McNeice, Ambrose, Laverde

Carlton INS: Simpson, Jones, Docherty, Murphy, Newnes, Martin, McGovern, Betts, Pittonet, Williamson, Philp

Carlton Outs: Kreuzer, Newman, C Curnow, Dow, McKay, Marchbank, Fisher, Lang, Kennedy, Stocker, Fasolo

Interesting fact: Every Carlton player who scored except Gibbons 1 behind is out from the last game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I imagine Gleeson for Guelfi is a straight swap of roles.

If i was to hazard a guess, Parish takes Heppell's place in the midfield rotation and Raz takes his place at half forward.

Kind of wondering why Guelfi was ever in ahead of Gleeson....I don’t hate Guelfi and not as big a fan of Marty as others but he’s clearly the better footballer.

Thinking Hooker should go forward, no match up for him in defence this week. No Ambrose so Hurley to play on Casboult and Francis on McGovern. Suspect coaches are more likely to ask Hurls to play small and get Hooker to take Casboult - wouldnt be my approach but so it goes.

Looking forward to this - first time this year I’ve felt really pumped for a game.

I love it that we have some consistency in naming Snelling at center half forward! :)

Tough match up for Weitering!

TBC has to break even with Pittonet - if he can, we should win this.

These selections are giving me faith the coaching staff has a clue what’s going on. Now only to get McKenna and Ambrose/Stewart in for Townsend and Zaharakis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back