Review Dees v the Handbaggers and the Dangerwank Media Circus: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Tmac needs to be dropped, took a nice mark and kicked a goal but this is about all he did, no other team would happily have a potatoe sit in their forward line and do nothing every week. Time to bring in Weid for a go, he deserves one last go before we piss him off.

Lockhart can get dropped for Jetta, no idea why he was omitted in the first place.

Only shining light was Trac who is by far our best and loved seeing Kozzie show what he is capable of, happy how we fought back in the last but we honestly aren't good enough.

Ugly - Decided not to drink today, pretty hard to sit through that s**t sober.

Tmac needs to be dropped, took a nice mark and kicked a goal but this is about all he did, no other team would happily have a potatoe sit in their forward line and do nothing every week. Time to bring in Weid for a go, he deserves one last go before we piss him off.

Lockhart can get dropped for Jetta, no idea why he was omitted in the first place.

Only shining light was Trac who is by far our best and loved seeing Kozzie show what he is capable of, happy how we fought back in the last but we honestly aren't good enough.

Ugly - Decided not to drink today, pretty hard to sit through that sh*t sober.
TMac crashed endless packs.

He did more than enough. He was the lone tall target against one of the best defenses in the competition. What was he supposed to do? All a tall forward needs to do in a game like this is bring it to ground; what makes Hawkins such a great player.

I don't care who they pick but we need to play 2 key fwds we can't continue to play a bunch of HFF ever week.

My big concern in the coaching is we basically lose the same way been like that for long time can dominate large parts of the game win the inside50 count but our connection going forward is pathetic and i know its early but doesn't look like its improved.
Jacko might actually be a clever pickup even short term, although its doubtful he's effective in the ruck in his first year.

Maxy can definitely clunk it; got a reliable pair of hands.

He does get pushed under the footy a bit, but if we can rest Maxy forward; the opponent needs to send a Barrass/Blicavs type to him; a guy with size who can also jump and spoil Maxy. At worst use him as a decoy. It is clear going long to Hunt/Hannan/Melksham/Fritsch doesn't work at all.

Ugly. Defensive setup.
I dont understand whats our defensvie set up. Geelong can Kick between themselfs becuase we dont man them up.
I saw the uncontested possession count as 30 to 7 .
Are we setting up a horribly executed web or zone?
What ever it is its dogshit.

Ugly. Defensive setup.
I dont understand whats our defensvie set up. Geelong can Kick between themselfs becuase we dont man them up.
It's a forward "press" and its been dogshit since the Marsh series, Adelaide just didn't have any players who can kick. Holes everywhere.

I just don't think guarding space/zones works at all in the AFL with such wide expanses. Maybe if we played at GMHBA in that narrow ground we could cut off the width. But playing a forward press at the G just doesn't make any sense to me.

I get the principle of forcing teams long down the line to guys like Maxy/Lever/May. No team wants to do that. Problem is the forward press lets teams inch their way upwards from goalsquare->30m/40m out->edge of the square-> wing without having to make a tough kick/decision.

Ive got 2 little demon supporters here they are close to jumping ship
I'd get out while you can as well.

I believe in the talent of the boys. But the setup is just horrid.

We worked all summer on a strategy that was just not feasible at all for us given we play home games at the G. It's horrible horrible coaching. It was never going to work.

I honestly think if we just played more one on one, more conservative with more behind the footy; that could work, especially with our mobile forward line(if Fritta could just hang onto some grabs FFS). We attacked in waves/counterattacks SO WELL in 2018 and there were flashes of that today(Hannan a big get because he doesn't muck about, looks to play on and keep the tempo high).

But our current setup is just unfair on the defenders. How many times did you see the replay of a Geelong mark inside 50 and realise they had an outnumber. An outnumber in our defensive 50...how the * is Goodwin an AFL coach.

Ugly. Defensive setup.

They were protecting or trying to defend the dangerous space most of the time. Yes you could press up further and stop that 20m chip but then there is more dangerous space up forward.

they few times the cats got forward and were able to deliver an easy hit up kick was when they actually took a more dangerous kick.

if I’m coaching Against melbourne I want to play fast and put that backline under pressure

The good;

second and fourth quarters defended well and really took the game on
handballs and spread from clearences

the bad;

third quarter brain snaps
Had some really good clean breaks and kicking long wasn’t great. Viney busted his ass today but had 3-4 times he needed to carry the ball further
Forwards need to make more of their opportunities to create more goals. It was a real what if

the ugly;

max Gawn tripping over his feet whislt the ball sails through chest height on the goal line. And may for stumbling at the same.
Langdon for rolling the ball back to gaz and allowing the Guthrie goal

Clayton Oliver has gotten worse in almost every aspect of his game since 2018.

The defensive pressure has never been great but he's now moving into ball butcher territory.

His clearance work will always be great, I'm not saying he should dropped or anything like that, but his kicking is quite honestly not AFL standard and never will be, not only can't he kick but only has one sort of kick, hoof it 40m to a contest.... Not to mention half his handballs hinder us rather than help.

Feel as though when he used to handball it was to our advantage much more often, a lot of the time nowadays it seems to put his teammate and the team in general under more pressure than what is necessary.

Hard to believe we could have seen his ceiling as a 20 year old.

Brayshaw was solid I thought. Hannan pretty good on his return. Hibberd had a good game too.
I like McDonald too. As others have said, he made a contest and didn't allow many intercepts at least. Pretty low bar, but whatever. Not totally awful gets a pass these days.

Bad and ugly:
We are reaaaaaallllllly ******* dumb. Not taking the ball out = Guthrie goal. Anyone with the ball inside our 50 wants to handball to grass rather than have a shot. Sloppy defensive setup that gives guys like Hawkins too much space, or he winds up with Rivers next to him. Bad goaline defense. Bad options from Salem (taking too much time) and Tomlinson (taking not enough) at the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some other semi positives:

Harmes in the middle again was good to see.

Some of our run and handball was good when we tried to take the game on. Thomlinson, Hannan and Hunt were usually involved when we did. Even though Thomlison made a few errors today I reckon hes been fairly serviceable for us so far, defiently far better than Langdon would needs to step the * up.

What are your thoughts about Lever and May - for apparently 800k a year Lever is horribly overrated or just out of form.

As for May - barks orders all the time and does nothing.

the game plan of Melbourne is appalling. Will never win games playing like that. where is the 2018 approach where they ran hard and moved the ball quickly - it was exciting to watch.

sitting with a Melbourne today watching who stated - give them the spoon....
* off campaigner

Some other semi positives:

Harmes in the middle again was good to see.

Some of our run and handball was good when we tried to take the game on. Thomlinson, Hannan and Hunt were usually involved when we did. Even though Thomlison made a few errors today I reckon hes been fairly serviceable for us so far, defiently far better than Langdon would needs to step the fu** up.
Langdon and Tomlinson definitely provide width, and whilst it was an overstated need, they definitely help. Tomlinson a pretty solid kick as you say.

Hannan is pretty huge, another Milkshakes, turn and go kind of half forward. Need more like him. Clean hands too.

Really think if we punted Goody we're easily a finals side.

Its almost got to the stage that I'd rather give Toby Bedford as chance a winger ahead of Langdon coz he turns it over so often.

Bedford can run. Besides Langdon getting a few more cheap possessions what else does he really bring?

Melksham looking pretty done unfortunately. One of my favourite players but just isn’t getting enough of the ball and has no time with it when he does.

I hope it's just touch and he'll be right in a week or so but the evidence is mounting sadly.

Brayshaw was very effective. Kicked 2 good goals and hunted the ball and man. Doesn't need to get 25 touches to play a good game.

Was a nearly game for almost all of our players. Forward line was either wasteful or drifted in and out of the game.

Despite Gawn's stats he's having limited impact on games. Needs to stop going to ground in marking contests

Hard to believe that Hannan and vandenBerg both had seven touches. Thought Hannan had quite a big impact and can’t remember seeing vanders more than twice.

Think Vanders got injured again sadly. Should see him done I reckon. Shame.

Hannan was great with his pressure, something that I dont notice all that often from him, not saying he's ever been terrible but his defensive work today was really noticeable. Did all the little things really well that don't show up on the stat sheet. And why stats are overrated in general.

Good: Brayshaw, TMac, May all showed improvement.
Bad: Losing to those arrogant handbaggers
Fugly: Our game plan... Stand five meters off your man and keep letting them chip the ball to each each other. Eventually, someone will drop the mark and then we'll pounce... foolproof!
This problem was only recognised when there was a minute to go.

Suppose we showed some improvement in defense.

We are lacking in ability in locking the ball on our forward line. Times where we should have forced a stoppage or throw in we allowed Geelong to get out. The team as a whole but particularly our forward line lacking in continuity. They all look a bit confused too many simple mistakes resulting in easy turnovers. Was Brayshaw our leading goal kicker with 2?

On a positive at least tmac look better hannan was ok considering he's hasn't played much in a year. Pickett was ok but was often out of position but it's only his second game. Also will be handy once he gets a bit stronger.

Brayshaw played his best game in a long time.

Too many pasangers today but I don't think we should make many changes.

Will be interesting to see how gold coast go against Geelong next week. Freo have been playing ok but hopefully fyfe is out which should make it easier but we still need to score.

Just realised we have sydney next week this could be a nil all.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back