Review AFL R7 - vs Sydney @ The SCG - Saturday July 18th 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr bods, do you see why I was in no rush for a contract who had the potential to be our best midfielder, or out of the 22 by seasons end?

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

In hindsight it’s easy to say now but last year the same was said about Touk Miller and he’s been one of the beat for us this year..

The two things saving Hanley are:

-We don't really have anyone that can play his position in the squad of 30 we took away, and I don't think Dew wants to mess with the structure and rob the midfield of Weller and Ellis to slide them to HB.

-In the entire squad, there are very limited options for us to put anyone at half back that isn't already in the team, McLennan doesn't seem to be coming on as hoped, Joyce might be able to do the job once we are back on the GC, C.Ellis perhaps, Murdoch, Dawson, they are probably our options for HBF, and none of them are outstanding, also none of them are in Sydney currently, and we are unable to fly anyone in because of quarantine restrictions. We definetly need to strengthen there come the end of the year.

With the public acknowledgement from Dew with his poor form, I think Hanley understands he may be on borrowed time and hopes to get a response out of him this weekend.

MacPherson is just as much a worry as Hanley at the moment. He isn't as dynamic and quick as we probably need in the forward 50, he occupies the same space as Holman in the squad as being there almost purely on tackling pressure and currently Holman is vastly out performing him, and I think we can really only carry 1 of these type of players. Come next week if MacPherson has another poor game, I would hope someone like Lemmens would come in who has a few more tricks in his bag and was in good form before being dropped in round 2.
I think you are right about why Hanley is getting more chances. Anderson could play his role, if they want him to. Sharp could take over what Anderson has been doing. I reckon we can work with 2 Holman/MacPherson types in the same forward line. Rankine will draw a lot of the footy that would have gone through them previously, so they may not get as many possessions. They will always provide pressure. If Lemmens was in NSW, he might have taken Darcy’s spot. A few of our blokes looked sore last week - Witts, Swallow, Holman & King. I hope they are not carrying injuries into this match. We do have guys like Smith, Fiorini & Wright available.

The other reason Hanley is getting a game is that we are still very young.
Again we will go in with 7 players under 21, which is probably too many.
Funnily enough, the Swans will be younger than us this week given all the injuries.

Given the compressed fixture, we also should see some more of the young players get a game, especially Sharpie and Ned.

Huge game for our captains

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app
Wittsy and Spitta must step up and lead the boys in this game. They've both been below standard lately and that has really hurt us in the midfield.

Definitely helps that Kennedy and Heeney are out for this game. The Swans haven't really brought in anyone this week that we should be overly worried about.

It's also Nick Holman's 50th game! Hopefully the boys are keen to get a win in Freck's 50th.

If Sydney win this it will be because they have their "backs against the wall" and they always seem to find something as a Club at times like this,
To be honest I still don't see any winning gameplay from us that is reproducible week in week out
Sure if we bring the manic pressure ,fully gassed running game that excited us all in rounds 2-4, Sydney shouldn't have an answer, but it seems we can do it for a couple of weeks and then it's back to letting your mates do the work
I'm a bit cynical but I have greatly interrupted sleeping patterns from all the false dawns I've woken up for over the past 10 years

Last edited:
If Sydney win this it will be because they have their "backs against the wall" and they always seem to find something as a Club at times like this,
To be honest I still don't see any winning gameplay from us that is reproducible week in week out
Sure if we bring the manic pressure ,fully gassed running game that excited us all in rounds 2-4, Sydney shouldn't have an answer, but it seems we can do it for a couple of weeks and then it's back to letting your mates do the work
I'm a bit cynical but I have greatly interrupted sleeping patterns from all the false dawns I've been witness to over the past 10 years
Nah we’re golden - kids are just inconsistent as most of em are under 50 games. Difference this time around is they’ve signed up for the long haul.

the spark we’ve seen this year is the blaze that will lead to a 3-peat in a couple of years.

I’m excited to see what they can do this afternoon, and we should smash em... but it’s not toys out the pram if they don’t.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back