Prediction The run home, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Midtable mediocrity is the barron wasteland where youre not ever competing for a flag but not bad enough to make the changes necessary to get better coz you're satisfied with just not being sh*t. So you tread water for years on end before the arse falls out eventually anyway.
Yeah I know exactly what it is, but you've got very little to base it on when we finished 10th 4 years back, 9th 3 years ago, then 5th, then 17th. Yet in that time we've had pick 4, 7, 3 and 12.

Not a good example mate.

And in that time

Yeah I know exactly what it is, but you've got very little to base it on when we finished 10th 4 years back, 9th 3 years ago, then 5th, then 17th. Yet in that time we've had pick 4, 7, 3 and 12.

Not a good example mate.

And in that time

I'm talking about where our future lays under Goody if we keep him around moreso than the past. We'll be perpetually in the 6th to 12th range.

2018 can be considered nothing more than fluke at this point.

We're good at downhill skiing against the bottom 6 sides, personally I reckon we'll all but sew up our spot before the GWS game, and we'll beat one of GWS/Essendon.

I don't rate Goody at all but much rather make finals (Although a belting in the first round would kill any of the optimism brought by the finals berth).
Yeah but we could make finals and get Richmond, who could have another bad night. Or GWS, who could fold like they have most of this year.

Point is, gonna be a whole lot better making them and having a shot at something happening, than talking about not making it for 6 months

I'm talking about where our future lays under Goody if we keep him around moreso than the past.
Got ya.

I guess we won't know much more until the GWS game, assuming both teams are on 3 game winning streaks til then. We could potentially (and I hate getting ahead because I've been burnt before) go into finals after winning 8 of 9.. we could also fall in losing our last 2.

I dunno, this year has been, and will continue to be, whoever is fittest and can handle the s**t. We still seem to have a healthy list when others are starting to lose a few.

Under normal circumstances I'd probably agree with this, but reality is we have to live with Goody for at least one more year, probably two give the financial implications of cutting his contract. Obviously we hope he improves massively in this time and then we don't have to worry about it.

That being said, making finals is better commercially for the club next year, so on the balance of things, even if we limp in and bomb out, it's probably better for the club than just missing out.

Also means North get the worse draft pick, we don't have a first rounder anyway.
Agree with all this.

I can also see the view of not wanting to be satisfied with a finals appearance and knowing the dees that is likely how the club will respond.

But also I just want us to be a club that makes finals always. WC, Geelong and Richmond have had years recently making up the numbers but have retooled with similar cores and new gameplans and made prelims and granny's again.

I dont rate Goody, but i dunno if i want to be languishing at the bottom for another 2 years so he can get sacked and start again.

Got ya.

I guess we won't know much more until the GWS game, assuming both teams are on 3 game winning streaks til then. We could potentially (and I hate getting ahead because I've been burnt before) go into finals after winning 8 of 9.. we could also fall in losing our last 2.

I dunno, this year has been, and will continue to be, whoever is fittest and can handle the sh*t. We still seem to have a healthy list when others are starting to lose a few.

I get a finals appearance means something to plenty of supporters given how s**t we have been for so long.

Like djpaulydemon said above tho, I'm just extremely concerned the club will lapse back into another decade of embarrassment and blow whatever chance we had of actually becoming a good team who competes for premierships.

Trust is running bare. I've seen this movie before.

Pretty much it comes down to * Gary Pert for putting us in this situation. Would be such a Melbourne way to waste a talented list. Sign some ********* coach to an unwarranted 4 year extension then have co-vid hit so our hands are tied. Just beautiful.

The way we play against lower than mid table teams, we ought to really hit the finals with winning form, we should we 3 of the next 4. Then it's fingers crossed because we go to water against top 8 teams anyway.

The way we play against lower than mid table teams, we ought to really hit the finals with winning form, we should we 3 of the next 4. Then it's fingers crossed because we go to water against top 8 teams anyway.
Really though, aside from Geelong and Richmond, (and WC in Perth) all the top 8 are prone to a s**t performance or two. Depends on who shows up on the night.

Richmond under Damien Hardwick:

15th
12th
12th
5th (Lost final)
8th (Lost final)
5th (Lost final)
13th

If you stopped here, you could definitely say that Richmond are stuck in the mediocrity ladder.

We all know how the next three seasons went - amazingly well.

15th
12th
12th
5th (Lost final)
8th (Lost final)
5th (Lost final)
13th

If you stopped here, you could definitely say that Richmond are stuck in the mediocrity ladder.

You could also put Essendon, Ports, Adelaide's results for a large period of well and see mediocre performances

15th
12th
12th
5th (Lost final)
8th (Lost final)
5th (Lost final)
13th

We're so close, but we still need missing pieces to get us close to current Richmond.

Still think we need someone who can break the lines out of defence(Houli type). Riv looks good and could fill that void, but another more mature player in the Williams/Milera type would be nice.

Jackson fills the 2nd tall in the F50 quite nicely IMO. Can pinch hit in the ruck/on ball. Fritta as the third tall makes us dangerous. I still think we need another small forward though. Spargo/Hannan are too inconsistent. Koz is raw, Bedford can't get a game. Butler would have been perfect. Not sure who is out there possibly available, but we still need a consistent dangerous small forward IMO (Petrucelle?)

Another wingman. Langdon has been the perfect fit for us. Runs all day, always seems to be there when we need an option out wide. However Tomlinson hasn't fitted that role as well. He's been solid as a defensive back flank type, but not the wingman we wanted. So, we need another. I don't think we have one on our list currently that could do this role to a level that will do well against the top teams. So I feel we need to find another. Polec maybe?

So I still feel we need a wingman, a small forward, and a running defender. Probably need a couple more upgrades on role players as well. I feel we are carrying 6/7 players in the team right now. That number needs to come down if we are to genuinely challenge for a flag. Oliver, Gawn, Petracca, May and to a certain extent Lever/Weid are the stars who will get us there, we just need the role players to give us a chance of being a consistent threat in the coming years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're so close, but we still need missing pieces to get us close to current Richmond.

Still think we need someone who can break the lines out of defence(Houli type). Riv looks good and could fill that void, but another more mature player in the Williams/Milera type would be nice.

Jackson fills the 2nd tall in the F50 quite nicely IMO. Can pinch hit in the ruck/on ball. Fritta as the third tall makes us dangerous. I still think we need another small forward though. Spargo/Hannan are too inconsistent. Koz is raw, Bedford can't get a game. Butler would have been perfect. Not sure who is out there possibly available, but we still need a consistent dangerous small forward IMO (Petrucelle?)

Another wingman. Langdon has been the perfect fit for us. Runs all day, always seems to be there when we need an option out wide. However Tomlinson hasn't fitted that role as well. He's been solid as a defensive back flank type, but not the wingman we wanted. So, we need another. I don't think we have one on our list currently that could do this role to a level that will do well against the top teams. So I feel we need to find another. Polec maybe?

So I still feel we need a wingman, a small forward, and a running defender. Probably need a couple more upgrades on role players as well. I feel we are carrying 6/7 players in the team right now. That number needs to come down if we are to genuinely challenge for a flag. Oliver, Gawn, Petracca, May and to a certain extent Lever/Weid are the stars who will get us there, we just need the role players to give us a chance of being a consistent threat in the coming years.
Completely agree, I think that we are fortunate enough that the players we are carrying are still fairly young and have plenty of talent. It's not like most clubs,who have blokes already in their prime but are just depth. We may save ourselves a lot of trouble if 1 or 2 of spargo/koz/bedford/rivers etc break out a year or two earlier than expected. Would love us to do what St. Kilda did and just get 3-4 players with plenty of talent but aren't getting an opportunity or playing the wrong role. But watch us trade our 1st round picks for the next 5 years for whitfield or someone.

If Bennell can get it together we'll be a lot closer.

I'd happily trade our 2021 first to get a bit more class off half back or a more consistent half forward.
same, id just be worried if we go all in on the next couple years and leave ourselves in a bad spot if we dont win a flag.We should look more along the lines of GWS instead of Hawthorn. Keep picks and get another batch of kids going through, rather than hawthorn and trade for that point in time.

same, id just be worried if we go all in on the next couple years and leave ourselves in a bad spot if we dont win a flag.We should look more along the lines of GWS instead of Hawthorn. Keep picks and get another batch of kids going through, rather than hawthorn and trade for that point in time.
Huh?
Remember when Hawthorn and Richmond traded for the now and won 5 flags between them?

Remember how GWS have never won a flag?

Classic Melbourne logic, if you never try win a flag you can never be disappointed

We have enough solid kids coming through from the 2017-2019 drafts to make sure we won’t fall off a cliff. When Oliver and Weid are in the 28-30 age bracket maybe we can start worrying about list regeneration, but at this stage or best players are still too young to be worried.

Huh?
Remember when Hawthorn and Richmond traded for the now and won 5 flags between them?

Remember how GWS have never won a flag?

Classic Melbourne logic, if you never try win a flag you can never be disappointed
oh yeah sorry i didn't mean it like that i used a bad example. You have to make sure that if you're going to trade 1st rounders, that the player you're getting will play at least 4-5 years for the club. Thats how you extend you're time in the premiership window, thats what the likes of hawthorn and richmond did.

Edit: holy crap i just realized i'm talking out my arse here. You're completely right

Winning a flag is what it's all about. Preferably build a team/club that will be consistent like a Geelong/Hawthorn/West Coast/Sydney and snag one or two. I just want one. I really couldn't care if we fall off a cliff after winning one. Not often a player like Petracca has been at our club. He's a Dusty and Danger type who will carry us on their backs week in week out. Even though he's only really done it consistently this season, I'm confident Trac is onwards and upwards from here. And having players like Oliver, Gawn and May who are also stars in their own right add to the fact we should be pushing. Our next few years are crucial. We have to make the right calls.

15th
12th
12th
5th (Lost final)
8th (Lost final)
5th (Lost final)
13th

Could have easily used Geelong under Mark Thompson's first 7 years.

I’d rather pert Goodwin and bartlett over Stynes Schwab Connolly (lesser degree bails - was railroaded into tanking) those clowns sent the club into the horrible mess we’ve only “just” clawed out of and still hangs round like a bad smell

I'm talking about where our future lays under Goody if we keep him around moreso than the past. We'll be perpetually in the 6th to 12th range.

2018 can be considered nothing more than fluke at this point.

2019 was a fluke.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back