Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure Grundy forward is necessarily going to help our lack of goal kicking and our genuine lack of tall timber targets in the forward half aside from Cox.

This is why I'd be looking at bringing in Darcy Cameron for Tyler Brown.

Cameron can help Grundy out in the ruck, but predominantly play forward with Cox. This will release Daicos back in to the middle (where he trained all summer) or onto the wing (where he was superb last season) to replace T Brown as opposed to playing as a defensive half forward flanker.
I think Buckley is saying he isn't going to drop Grundy and will go back to what he did late last year and have Cameron in the Ruck as he was more competitive. Grundy will see more bench and forward time.

Whatever is going on with his ability in the ruck, his ability to cover ground and win the footy is most alarming for me. He was Dean Cox 2.0 throughout 2018-19 averaging over 20 disposals a game and now it feels like he has no second efforts or ability to find the footy around the ground.

As much as it sucks to think, a drop off in form like this almost seems like he may be struggling physically. He's played 152 games, it's not inconceivable that his body is worn out.
Crikey. If his body is worn out already we have a long 7 years to go.

Agree with this. Could it be a fitness issue, or even a mental hurdle?
I think he’s being asked to play in a way which dilutes his best attributes, but having said that, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was struggling with his mental health at this juncture.

Whatever is going on with his ability in the ruck, his ability to cover ground and win the footy is most alarming for me. He was Dean Cox 2.0 throughout 2018-19 averaging over 20 disposals a game and now it feels like he has no second efforts or ability to find the footy around the ground.

As much as it sucks to think, a drop off in form like this almost seems like he may be struggling physically. He's played 152 games, it's not inconceivable that his body is worn out.

We don't want another Josh Fraser

In what way is he similar to Josh Fraser? Fraser was never even as good as Grundy was last year

Just when you said his body might be Worn Out like it did with Fraser

Try a barking collar. You don't have a friendly neighbour who would take him in for a few hours? My ex neighbour left her dog acquired during covid with me a couple of times for the day and it was incredibly difficult to encroach on the bond that had developed. The second time I had to look after the dog overnight, it tried to attack me when I rolled over in my sleep, vomited in my car (fortunately I managed to toss a towel under it), left 2 diarrhoea pools on my wooden floors and a very large one on the common corridor carpet (which fortunately cleaned up well). I reckon it was all due to nerves. For a very modest sum of money, I have volunteered to care for it one day a week while the owner works, making sure it's ok with the NDIS beagle.

The beagle (jack russell cross) has a fractured pelvis after being hit by a car (thankfully not my doing). I borrowed a dog pusher from a former client and do my usual 4 km walk with him, letting him walk on 3 legs for short parts of the journey while his bone knits. Unfortunately, I think he loves it and it may be a hard habit to break.

You were that sick taking care of a dog???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be something else. Playing Grundy as an actual rover would allow him to slim down a bit too. Would still be a truck
Hec, why not try Grundy on the ball first up, with Moore as a forward
Buckley the revolutionary!
Seriously, why can’t coaches be a bit radical for a brief moment and see how it goes.
It’s better to try and fail, than never try at all.

Put any sort of offensive mids around and see how he goes.

Just on this point, the people comparing Grundy to Jolly and claiming Grundy's not up to it just consider....
Just in his time at Collingwood, Jolly's midfield consisted of the likes of : Ball, Pendlebury, Swan, Didak, Beams, Sidebottom, Thomas, Wellingham and Blair. There's premierships, Norm Smiths, AFL Captains, All Australians and a Brownlow medallist in there and most of them (Ball conceded) were in their primes. Compare that to what Grundy has available to him at present. Sier, Adams, Josh Daicos, The Brown Brothers, JDG, Elliot, Noble and who???? Two aged stars of a bygone era (Pendles and Sidey).

The problem is not Grundy. It's the dogs breakfast of Mids that he's supposed to be servicing.

Much better performance from Grundy tonight, encouraging to see. Not at his best but heading in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back