Autopsy Swans Vs Dons Rnd 4 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

But he worked his arse off, every time he was on screen he was throwing his weight around, laying tackles, chasing, scrapping to get the ball any way he could. He was on the ground fighting for the pill more than he was in the air flying for it. I knew he had skill but last night felt like the first time I saw a real physical presence from him when we needed it.

Why not?

But he worked his arse off, every time he was on screen he was throwing his weight around, laying tackles, chasing, scrapping to get the ball any way he could. He was on the ground fighting for the pill more than he was in the air flying for it. I knew he had skill but last night felt like the first time I saw a real physical presence from him when we needed it.

Why not?

I haven't always thought the same about Reid. But not getting into this. I thought Reid was excellent last night and has been impressive all year.

Bell did bloody well in the chain that lead to Buddy's second lat in the second quarter. But then so did Parker, Rampe, Florent, Warner and Gulden.
Fantastic play all round.

Incidentally I'm watching full replay quarter by quarter on the afl website. Thought that was usually pay walled.

I haven't always thought the same about Reid. But not getting into this. I thought Reid was excellent last night and has been impressive all year.

But here’s the thing. Reid has been doing this when not injured for 10 years. I have been ridiculed for pointing this out. And yet now it’s a good thing. Forgive my frustration but footy is played in July as well as April.

Bell did bloody well in the chain that lead to Buddy's second lat in the second quarter. But then so did Parker, Rampe, Florent, Warner and Gulden.
Fantastic play all round.

Incidentally I'm watching full replay quarter by quarter on the afl website. Thought that was usually pay walled.
Nah. Always available next day. 18 hours later....

But here’s the thing. Reid has been doing this when not injured for 10 years. I have been ridiculed for pointing this out. And yet now it’s a good thing. Forgive my frustration but footy is played in July as well as April.

Fair enough. I get your frustration if you think he has been doing this for 10 years and not been duly recognised for it.

I don't think he has been doing this for 10 years. So I don't know what you want me to say really. We just see it differently and always have.

In any case, I was talking about Logan. I'm not keen on opening up a can of worms on Reid's career in a thread where he has been universally praised for his performance last night, and rightfully so.

Not the thread but is palm beach worth checking out?

In Coogee atm but what would Sydney traffic be like atm and is it worth it in a Friday?
Go to the Newport Arms while you're up there. Absolutely sensational spot on a sunny weekday. Incredibly they even serve beer and food too.

Hewett is a lock for the 22. Hopefully when Fox gets back or if Ling/Gould/COR can break in, George can go back to what he does best - midfield or the odd tagging job (in 2019 he wasn't just a tagger and got 2nd in B&F). Not the worst shot at goal, so the likes of he, Parker and Rowbottom aren't bad resting up fwd either. I guess our issue is, with Mills now in mids, Warner's rise and when Rowbottom back, we already have quite a few in there. Still, Hewett has better disposal efficiency than Parker, JPK, Florent, Rowbottom (younger I know), so not shabby.
I wonder if he'll go forward next week with Heeney out. Or maybe Parker with Hewett into the mids. Many options now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm usually pretty happy with what Reid puts out. You know he's going to miss his set shots half the time and you know he's going to drop easy marks half the time. If you come to terms with these two things then it's easy to see all his other benefits to the team. He's a great contested mark, he works hard off the ball to provide an outlet on the wings, he backs up into defense and does a great job intercepting when required, he's a great forward half ruck and he brings the ball to ground well.

I saw him do all those good things but at the same time even on a good night he always manages to fluff a couple of things he should be able to do.

Can't really see where Hewitt fits in this side full time. He seems an awkward fit in the backline, he doesn't really offer anything different to what we already have in midfield, maybe the forward line with Heeney missing? Personally I'd love to see Hayward make the selectors job really difficult by making Heeney's place his own in his absence.

I know we've picked a lot of attacking defenders recently, maybe we need a bit more of a pure defender down there to balance us out a bit more. 3 defensive defenders (Rampe, McCartin,?) and 3 attacking defenders (Dawson, Campbell, Lloyd). I liked our balance there with Mills, I feel like we need someone to step up and fill that role. Maybe it's early days and that could be Hewitt. I just realised I'm forgetting Cunningham rotating off the bench.

The problem (if you can even call it that) of having a pretty clean injury list and winning 4-0 is that we have so many players who could really play a role in this side but they just can't get a game.

I also feel like we are giving away less free kicks because we are not as committed to the tackle / creating a stoppage that we once were.

We seem to be approaching it from the point of view of pressuring a mistake (closing space) or taking the arm away to scramble the disposal / cause the player to lose disposal.

Basically we are trying to create turnovers instead of stoppages and thus we aren’t giving away as many high tackles, push in the back and holding the man frees.
Coaching to not give frees ....
So glad they are taking this seriously.

Oh dear! I am terrified what the new rules will do to Melican. He has all the physical attributes but none of the mental ones required. Unless rules/game styles change to team defence he has a short shelf life. I only hope hope Brand has more footy IQ or that BOC comes on.
Melican will be the new Reid.
He will become indispensable and everyone will sing his praise. Watch This space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back