List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hewett has to go this trade period if Horse refuses to play him in the mids. If nothing less than to just free up a spot in the backline for a real defender
Horses’ refusal to play Hewett in the mids is the most frustrating aspect of 2021.

He’d have been perfect to play a shut-down role on Mitchell.

I suspect we will lose him. Which would be a real shame.

We desperately need an inside mid with our first draft pick in the 2021 draft, ideally one that has a bit of pace as well but one that knows how to get his hands on the ball first.

What would be the point? Any mid we pick up is going to come in sixth in line anyway, so they won't be getting hands on it first much at all.

What would be the point? Any mid we pick up is going to come in sixth in line anyway, so they won't be getting hands on it first much at all.

Kennedy is going to be on a walking frame soon.

Plus our midfield has sort of been crap for a long time now. I have thought since the mid-2010's that our midfield really was our weak link even when we had the likes of Jack and Hannebery in the team. It just allows itself to get comprehensively beaten by the oppositions midfield far too often.

Kennedy is going to be on a walking frame soon.

Plus our midfield has sort of been crap for a long time now. I have thought since the mid-2010's that our midfield really was our weak link even when we had the likes of Jack and Hannebery in the team. It just allows itself to get comprehensively beaten by the oppositions midfield far too often.

Hmmmm I don't agree re the mid-2010's decade. They had their off days, and they also struggled against midfields with good pace and spread (funny that's still a thing five years later!) but we don't make it to any of those three grand finals without JPK, Hanners, Jack, Parker, Mitchell and ROK. And despite their weaknesses they were pound for pound the best midfield in the competition over those five years. I'm not a fan of the retrospective knocking of those guys who were such a major part of our best ever years of success.

But agree it's diabolical atm and the writing has been on the wall for years. It's interesting that many recognise the problem, but don't seem to be willing to consider the source of the problem.

2018 - Our midfield of JPK, Parker and Jones wasn't clean enough. Fair dinkum, a year later the "butcher" Jones is traded and many are ok with it.

2019 - Our midfield of JPK, Parker and Hewett was too slow. Fair dinkum, a year later Hewett gets injured and is banished from the midfield and is rendered old news.

2020 - Our midfield of JPK, Parker and Rowbottom couldn't win enough ball. Fair dinkum, a year later the undersized Rowbottom gets injured and the experienced Mills steps in.

2021 - Our midfield of JPK, Parker and Mills get beaten too easily in there. Will the plan be to evacuate Mills out of there...?

The last three or four years has just been the story of blaming and changing the supporting cast around JPK and Parker but still getting the same outcomes every year. It's high time we realise maybe it's not the supporting cast that are the problem but actually the main cast...

Alex Pearce amd parish
Can't see Pearce leaving voluntarily after Freo has stood by him for so long. If they delist him then sure he's an option.
In regards to Parrish I'm trying to recall the last time we were able to recruit a gun mid from Vic in his prime. It's been a while and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Hmmmm I don't agree re the mid-2010's decade. They had their off days, and they also struggled against midfields with good pace and spread (funny that's still a thing five years later!) but we don't make it to any of those three grand finals without JPK, Hanners, Jack, Parker, Mitchell and ROK. And despite their weaknesses they were pound for pound the best midfield in the competition over those five years. I'm not a fan of the retrospective knocking of those guys who were such a major part of our best ever years of success.

But agree it's diabolical atm and the writing has been on the wall for years. It's interesting that many recognise the problem, but don't seem to be willing to consider the source of the problem.

2018 - Our midfield of JPK, Parker and Jones wasn't clean enough. Fair dinkum, a year later the "butcher" Jones is traded and many are ok with it.

2019 - Our midfield of JPK, Parker and Hewett was too slow. Fair dinkum, a year later Hewett gets injured and is banished from the midfield and is rendered old news.

2020 - Our midfield of JPK, Parker and Rowbottom couldn't win enough ball. Fair dinkum, a year later the undersized Rowbottom gets injured and the experienced Mills steps in.

2021 - Our midfield of JPK, Parker and Mills get beaten too easily in there. Will the plan be to evacuate Mills out of there...?

The last three or four years has just been the story of blaming and changing the supporting cast around JPK and Parker but still getting the same outcomes every year. It's high time we realise maybe it's not the supporting cast that are the problem but actually the main cast...

Fair Dinkum ?!@?
I wish our midfield was Hewett Jones and Rowbum ???

Fair Dinkum ?!@?
I wish our midfield was Hewett Jones and Rowbum ???

I never said that. I said that we have moved every magnet in the midfield around thinking we're getting somewhere, except for two magnets, and it's the two magnets that have been the constants through our midfield struggles, no matter who has come and gone around them.

No, but it is possible. Perhaps pick 12 is more realistic. I could see us finishing 7th or 8th.
So you don't expect it, but ... You think we will have a pick in the 10.

I just don't think we are likely to draft a player who is great at gettig first hands on the footy and then bursting away from the contest within one or two seasons with a pick 10 to 15 because they are as rare as hens teeth and the best players in the competition.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jones played in the midfield for a year? Gosh dunno why he left to go to st Kilda to play in his preferred position then. The alternate reality strikes again

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I never said that. I said that we have moved every magnet in the midfield around thinking we're getting somewhere, except for two magnets, and it's the two magnets that have been the constants through our midfield struggles, no matter who has come and gone around them.

Spot on. At least Parker can run.

Can't see Pearce leaving voluntarily after Freo has stood by him for so long. If they delist him then sure he's an option.
In regards to Parrish I'm trying to recall the last time we were able to recruit a gun mid from Vic in his prime. It's been a while and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Yep. No way either is leaving.
No way Pearce is being de listed.
Absolute gun.

Stewie Maxfield, Merv Neagle, Healy and Williams. Before that Johnny Murphy (the Carlton lad's dad) and **cough** Nev Fields.

I think Mills, Rowy and Chad are all capable clearance players.

I think I'd like another player capable of exploding from the clearance.
Treloar would have been ideal at this role.

I'll get shot for this but if someone offered us a first round pick for LParker I'd take it.

Hewett or Florent should be the fourth. Pace isn't that important in the midfield. Bulldogs run Bontempelli, Macrae, Liberatore, Dunkley, Smith, Hunter and Treloar through there. Treloar and maybe Smith are the only ones you would describe as "quick". Granted you don't wanna be as slow as we currently are, but we just need clean players who can make good decisions and at least have the initial burst of pace or agility to turn a stoppage in our favour. Even if Mills & Hewett didn't, Florent, Rowbottom and Warner definitely would.

Hewett or Florent should be the fourth. Pace isn't that important in the midfield. Bulldogs run Bontempelli, Macrae, Liberatore, Dunkley, Smith, Hunter and Treloar through there. Treloar and maybe Smith are the only ones you would describe as "quick". Granted you don't wanna be as slow as we currently are, but we just need clean players who can make good decisions and at least have the initial burst of pace or agility to turn a stoppage in our favour. Even if Mills & Hewett didn't, Florent, Rowbottom and Warner definitely would.
Yep. Quick doesn't mean quick. These days they use the word "drive".
That ability to take three steps and find space to make a clean disposal .
Warner can do it.
Big difference between a scrappy clearance and a clean clearance.
I feel like Parker's clearances are mostly scrappy.

A few posts back you said 'pound for pound , the best midfield' .. Parker and JPK were constants then too.
The midfield is rebuilding. Theres not room for all of Parker, JPK and Hewett as they're similar type players. It seems the Swans have recognised that speed is important in the future and have drafted for that. Reckon one of those three won't be a swan next year, and as the young crew develops the remaining two will spend less time in there.
Florent is very good on his feet - our 1st pick 2016
Blakey is ver quick - our 1st pick 2018
Stephens is very quick - our 1st pick 2019
Campbell is very quick - p6 2020
Add to that Warner - very quick 2019, Rowbum p2 2018, Mills p1 2015, Gulden
And there's a lot of emerging inside / outside mids, dare I say it, A Entirely new midfield. JPK has 18 months left, Parker probably 2 1/2 years. By the time those guys retire the young mids that have been drafted are beginning to enter their prime. In the meantime Parker and JPK are leading, coaching and protecting the next midfield group.
That young midfield has a lot of different/complimentary talents - takes time (especially when we don't have the $$ to trade a $800k - $1m gun)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back