List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I agree, but if you look around the comp it's an almost universal thing that teams are running 4 mids predominantly through there, and then a rotating cast of other players (particularly in the case of Bulldogs who even run lesser guys like Lipinski through there.) Our 4 are JPK, Parker, Mills and then Rowbottom/Warner (those two seem to take each others CBAs.)

The problem is if we ran more through there, like Florent, Blakey, Stephens, Hewett etc., all they'd be doing is taking rotations off that fifth man (Rowbottom/Warner) which is not what we want in terms of developing our midfield. This was why I was so concerned when I heard Mills would be in the midfield because I envisioned a scenario where he and the two skippers would dominate our midfield rotations and it would be the younger mids who get less time, not more.

But who knows, second half of the year could be different. If Rowbottom can get over his injury or Warner can re-capture his early season form or an opportunity arises and Florent gets a go in there, Horse might bite the bullet and make a real change.
I'm currently arguing about this on multiple threads, but I would make Parker take that 5th role, since he's such a good player in the forward line, and if your losing contested ball heavily you can throw him in as a circuit breaker.

It'll be interesting to see if anything does change, because the next brigade of mids are really exciting, I just don't know how it'll all fall together.

I'm currently arguing about this on multiple threads, but I would make Parker take that 5th role, since he's such a good player in the forward line, and if your losing contested ball heavily you can throw him in as a circuit breaker.

It'll be interesting to see if anything does change, because the next brigade of mids are really exciting, I just don't know how it'll all fall together.

Couldn't agree more. Out of him, JPK and Mills, I think it's Parker that has the most benefit elsewhere (have always said he'd make an All Australian-level half forward.) We've got to start getting Rowbottom and Warner in there together, rather than just in each other's place.

We played him on a wing though and he looked a little lost. We can't be taking opportunities away from the likes of Florent, McInerney, Rowbottom, Warner etc who are all good contributors just to give the opportunities for Stephens to find his feet.
..... and yet we find room for Bell and Taylor.

Yes, yes, I know - they’re not true mids. But still, I’d much prefer Stephens over those two.

..... and yet we find room for Bell and Taylor.

Yes, yes, I know - they’re not true mids. But still, I’d much prefer Stephens over those two.

Because I think what Stephens needs right now is games and some continuity in the VFL. Like Blakey, just get games and form and confidence into them.

Because I think what Stephens needs right now is games and some continuity in the VFL. Like Blakey, just get games and form and confidence into them.
Understand the theory - but it’s a huge risk.

2nd year mid being offered money & a start in the AFL elsewhere (i.e Crows) .... would hate to lose him if he feels frustrated.

Understand the theory - but it’s a huge risk.

2nd year mid being offered money & a start in the AFL elsewhere (i.e Crows) .... would hate to lose him if he feels frustrated.

I agree, I hope we keep him.

But if he is frustrated to the point it's effecting his form and/or he wants out, then he's probably not the kinda person who will make a great life-long Blood. And probably not the kinda person you use a top 5 pick on, so I guess we'll find out how thorough our recruiting staff were with him.

It's all guesswork though. As of right now there's absolutely no indication he's frustrated. In fact his dad is on Twitter and his posts kinda give the vibe that he is very happy with his son's circumstances, which suggests his son is happy with his circumstances. I get that most parents aren't exactly gonna go on social media and declare their son's intentions to play elsewhere, but his dad actually goes out of his way to interact on all things Swans and he seems like he's bought into the club and it's culture.

I agree, I hope we keep him.

But if he is frustrated to the point it's effecting his form and/or he wants out, then he's probably not the kinda person who will make a great life-long Blood. And probably not the kinda person you use a top 5 pick on, so I guess we'll find out how thorough our recruiting staff were with him.

It's all guesswork though. As of right now there's absolutely no indication he's frustrated. In fact his dad is on Twitter and his posts kinda give the vibe that he is very happy with his son's circumstances, which suggests his son is happy with his circumstances. I get that most parents aren't exactly gonna go on social media and declare their son's intentions to play elsewhere, but his dad actually goes out of his way to interact on all things Swans and he seems like he's bought into the club and it's culture.
Headlines I want to see:

“Stephens Signs Three Year Deal with Swans”

Stewie Maxfield, Merv Neagle, Healy and Williams. Before that Johnny Murphy (the Carlton lad's dad) and **cough** Nev Fields.
Look at those names and none recently, Uncle. Can't prise them out of Vic with a crowbar. They'll move within Vic but not interstate. And so my point stands. Not a single gun mid recruited from VIC in his prime, and playing best 22 for at least a decade.
People can throw out names of gun mids, but the facts speak for themselves, they're not coming.

Look at those names and none recently, Uncle. Can't prise them out of Vic with a crowbar. They'll move within Vic but not interstate. And so my point stands. Not a single gun mid recruited from VIC in his prime, and playing best 22 for at least a decade.
People can throw out names of gun mids, but the facts speak for themselves, they're not coming.
Too much money to be made from third party deals in footy States, and no COLA to compete against it. Obligatory "* Fitzpatrick".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have we targetted any mids of late? Feels like most players we have chased have been defenders or forwards.

Have we targetted any mids of late? Feels like most players we have chased have been defenders or forwards.
I don't know the inner workings, so I honestly don't know. But a decade or more without a single best 22 Vic mid seems to speak for itself.

what guns have been traded for mind you if you said 2014 onwards (not free agents)? not many
Dayne Beams (x2)
Ryan Griffen
Adam Cooney
Patrick Dangerfield
Adam Treloar (x2)
Tom Mitchell
Jack Steele
Bradley Hill (x2)
Pearce Hanley
Dion Prestia
Jaeger O'Meara
Lachie Neale
Dylan Shiel
Tim Kelly

You can argue around the fringes here if you want but they're premiership players, B&F winners, captains, Brownlow medallists etc. I'm not going to defend or counter-argue any of them so go nuts.

I've left out the trades for people like Ablett, Gibbs, and Sam Mitchell at the tail end of their careers.

Dayne Beams (x2)
Ryan Griffen
Adam Cooney
Patrick Dangerfield
Adam Treloar (x2)
Tom Mitchell
Jack Steele
Bradley Hill (x2)
Pearce Hanley
Dion Prestia
Jaeger O'Meara
Lachie Neale
Dylan Shiel
Tim Kelly

You can argue around the fringes here if you want but they're premiership players, B&F winners, captains, Brownlow medallists etc. I'm not going to defend or counter-argue any of them so go nuts.

I've left out the trades for people like Ablett, Gibbs, and Sam Mitchell at the tail end of their careers.
And we traded out premiership players like Biggs, Nank and Jetta

Dayne Beams (x2)
Ryan Griffen
Adam Cooney
Patrick Dangerfield
Adam Treloar (x2)
Tom Mitchell
Jack Steele
Bradley Hill (x2)
Pearce Hanley
Dion Prestia
Jaeger O'Meara
Lachie Neale
Dylan Shiel
Tim Kelly

oh wasnt going to argue, was waiting for someone else to do the work

thats still not that many

then you can say well kelly was off to WA, Shiel Vic etc

so theres not a lot of guns to trade for, yet we talk about it on and on

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back