Game Day Geelong vs Bulldogs, Friday 18 June GMHBA @ 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier in the week we didn't know if crowds would be attending tonight, but even if it was in front of empty stands the club made it clear that there preference was to play this game at home and prioritise the welfare of those at the club over an unnecessary move interstate

And that stubbornness to stay at home has seen a small reward of 7000 members being able to attend tonight

We kept our home ground advantage, so let's keep our home ground winning streak over the Bulldogs going and make it 6 wins on the trot tonight

Have at it

If we are ever to lose to the Doggies, it might be this one.

Law of averages suggest a L at KP to the Woofers must happen at some point.

Just not this week lol

GO Catters

Going to be greasy at least. Hopefully that hinders their flick around hand passes and helps our bigger bodies.

Break even in the midfield, no small feat, and I’m confident the differences in class forward of the ball (vs respective backlines) will be in our favour.

Cats by 23.

Beat me by 11 mins!!!!

Well played

Go Catters

Thought I'd might as well do something while waiting in line for my second jab - decent line this time compared to my first jab

Recall back when we got dished on by Melbourne - I copped a bit of flak regarding my comments that O'Connor well and truly held Oliver while he was on him. I watched the game three times, watched each contest in slow mo and could not figure out where Oliver's 30 odd possessions came from. But I was laughed at. Sure enough, Champion Data in the AFL article on O'Connor today has noted that Oliver only got 17 possessions in 72 minutes of being directly manned by O'Connor.

Ill back him to tag any of the Bont, Macrae or Libba tonight. The midfield battle will go a long way to determining who wins tonight. He can't cover all three, so I am keen to see who he goes to and how effective he is.

Recall back when we got dished on by Melbourne - I copped a bit of flak regarding my comments that O'Connor well and truly held Oliver while he was on him. I watched the game three times, watched each contest in slow mo and could not figure out where Oliver's 30 odd possessions came from. But I was laughed at. Sure enough, Champion Data in the AFL article on O'Connor today has noted that Oliver only got 17 possessions in 72 minutes of being directly manned by O'Connor.

Ill back him to tag any of the Bont, Macrae or Libba tonight. The midfield battle will go a long way to determining who wins tonight. He can't cover all three, so I am keen to see who he goes to and how effective he is.

But but but O'Connor's only played 1 good half...

From his last 2 halves of football

Going to be greasy at least. Hopefully that hinders their flick around hand passes and helps our bigger bodies.

Break even in the midfield, no small feat, and I’m confident the differences in class forward of the ball (vs respective backlines) will be in our favour.

Cats by 23.
Unfortunately, I don't think the slippery conditions will affect their throws at all. If anything, the umps will probably be more lenient due to the conditions.

I hate that under the AFL over the last ten years key and unique elements of our game have been debased in the sole interest of TV markets. Tackling, the bump, handballs, standing the mark. But there is little I can do about it other than hope the umps are fair and consistent and allow us to throw the ball as well.

It will be interesting to see who they tag. I would tag Libba, cause he is the one feeding it out to Bont and Macrae. Worked for the dees. And Bont is probably harder to stop. But what do I know.
I’d like to shut down Caleb more than anything else tbh it’ll cut off their drive from the back as he uses the ball very well to set up their push forward.

It will be interesting to see who they tag. I would tag Libba, cause he is the one feeding it out to Bont and Macrae. Worked for the dees. And Bont is probably harder to stop. But what do I know.

In these wet conditions, players with the most skill become even more impactful. Bontempelli must be tagged and we try and force most of his possessions to be rushed.

Unfortunately, I don't think the slippery conditions will affect their throws at all. If anything, the umps will probably be more lenient due to the conditions.

I hate that under the AFL over the last ten years key and unique elements of our game have been debased in the sole interest of TV markets. Tackling, the bump, handballs, standing the mark. But there is little I can do about it other than hope the umps are fair and consistent and allow us to throw the ball as well.

Said it before - the game is slowly but steadily morphing befire our eyes, and in years to come it will almost be unrecognisable against its original format.

But yes, nothing we can do. It's inevitable.

Hopefully we're allowed to throw the ball with equal impunity and can adapt to whatever interpretation of the rules the umps decide to enforce today.

I’d like to shut down Caleb more than anything else tbh it’ll cut off their drive from the back as he uses the ball very well to set up their push forward.
Wouldn’t be surprised at all if Atkins went forward for tonight’s game and sat on Daniel.
Dogs have a tall forward line with a few mediums and only really have Weightman as a genuine small

(Log in to remove this ad.)

im thinking they'll go for bont because he's more similar to Martin?

Barrett on AFL website..
IF ...

I was super keen on the Cats' flag chances at the start of the year ...

THEN ...
I'm convinced now. Going into round 14, daylight between them and the next best Grand Final candidate.

Mentions Clark that it would be surprising if he doesn't get to Fremantle in 2022!

If you give up 3 first rounders for Jez Cameron and bring in Smith and Higgins at the back end of their careers : then Friday night football on the big stage, at home aginst the second placed team is your time to perform..
Get it done Jezza and Smith!
Missy Higgins you can have a rest!

A lot of talk about tagging Caleb Daniel on here. I think Likewise Tommy Stewart could get some attention tonight...
Henry to astronaught? similar athletic traits...
Hendo to Timmy English?
Kolo to Bruce....
I wonder if we'll have to get Blics down their for cover.. we've been found out agianst the big dogs recently!

I always feel like going for a very hard tag against an even and deep midfield isn't the go. But anyway I feel like the endgame with O'Connor is to see him go with the gun mids who push forward like Bont.

Lose this and top 2 is off the table and top 4 vulnerable. Would be a big flop and egg on face if we lose this when we decided to keep the home ground advantage...
Smacks of 2013 when we were so happy to get home QF against Frementle then got our pants pulled down.
Now is the time to bully the dogs!

Why would it be a flop? We might be favourites, but it would hardly be like losing to a team like the Roos or Hawks (which, by the way, we almost did). Bulldogs are a quality team this year, and I won't be surprised if the game's still up for grabs in the last quarter.

As for the 2013 reference, the real embarrassment is that we haven't come close to being allowed another home final since and actually get laughed at when suggesting we should.

Why would it be a flop? We might be favourites, but it would hardly be like losing to a team like the Roos or Hawks (which, by the way, we almost did). Bulldogs are a quality team this year, and I won't be surprised if the game's still up for grabs in the last quarter.

As for the 2013 reference, the real embarrassment is that we haven't come close to being allowed another home final since and actually get laughed at when suggesting we should.
We were never in danger of losing to norf.

I mean it’s just physically harder to handle the ball as frequently as they like too in these conditions. The game tends to be get stripped back to moving it forward and capitalising on opportunities.

I would send O'Connor to Libba, Bont is too good and will still dominate, if we can limit the ball getting to him then that will go a long way to winning the battle, feeling a big Selwood game coming tonight, will be the kind of game he loves, tough and hard. Wet weather will hinder both sets of forwards so we need to limit there smaller players inside 50 which is an area we generally struggle in, time for Kolo to lift and play a good game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back