Review Geelong beat Doggies by 5 points and break their hearts.

Remove this Banner Ad

... funny... how many throws did the Cats get done for this eve??... :rolleyes:
We obviously didn't pay the umpires enough to turn a blind eye to them

What's the going rate that the Bulldogs pay per throw?

That was riveting.
Match of the year to date without question.
A tough win against Serious Opposition.

Full credit to the 7000-strong crowd (and Ch7's sound production) for providing plenty of atmosphere.

I can't deny I enjoy watching the Dogs in action - they have an oddly diverse group who cohere to unlikely effect.
For a period in the first half tonight they looked scary good - and yet they found another gear in the third, and did not wilt one little bit in the Last.
Great Opponents.

The loss of Mitch Duncan early hurt, we could have used his artistry by foot on a night in which our finishing skills routinely lacked polish. Shaun Higgins tried, but was a pale replacement - we ultimately won thanks to Gary Rohan's set shot; but I also thought we generated more consistent chances than the Dogs did overall, and I thought we were the better team on the night - just.

Narkle and Parfitt have shown an inherent understanding of the ol' 1-2 that the Guthrie brothers could do well to study.
Narkle's return was a reminder of his talent and also of the fact that you can usually use an extra class midfielder, regardless of roles and structures.
Say what you want about Q. Narkle and his future at the club, what cannot be questioned is the fact that he is proud and has never dropped his head or pouted; he comes in after a long layoff and generally performs admirably. Tonight no exception.

We saw the best Luke Dahlhaus game for the year, such as it was.
It was putrid to the eye, but largely effective in the slippery conditions.

I went into the game anticipating a mighty duel between Jack Henry and the entertaining Aaron Naughton, but while the contest had it's moments, Jack Henry provided nearly all of the highlights; nerveless in the air despite a couple of glaring errors.
Naughton went off injured thanks to Jed Bews sheer hardness. Bews was pretty good tonight btw.
Like Henry, Naughton has my admiration for his fearlessness in the aerial contests; he came up against a kindred spirit tonight.

The Bailey Smith vs Isaac Smith duel proved even better 1v1 duel than the one I'd been anticipating; two genuine wingmen, one a veteran and the other a modern exponent of the role. Each contributed well, I thought Isaac's first half was huge but Bailey fought back very well.

Did Tom Stewart play on Josh Bruce?
Stewart made a couple of very uncharacteristic blues early on; thereafter he was more comfortable in the air than Qantas.
Bruce kicked made the most of his limited opportunities, but Stewart was as repellent as a can of Mortein.
Before I forget: Brian Taylor is the worst commentator I've ever heard.

Jeremy Cameron's pace combined with a high level of skill is a pretty irresistible combination; he was held for long stretches tonight but when he bobs up he makes it count.

Great win; I am reasonably sure I saw a statistic a while ago that had Geelong at the top of the tree when it comes to games won with a kick after the siren; I'm lucky enough to remember at least 7-8 without too much trouble (and a couple gone the other way).

Last edited:
All the talk will be about Rohan and I understand that but Stewart was ridiculous tonight. No way we win that game without him tonight.
Also felt like we gave left their wings far too much space tonight, in particular Hunter, which is a bit off on our skinny ground. Something to work on.

Ladies and Gentlemen I present to you the new World Record Holders
E4KojyCVIAgFgxC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back