Have we just witnessed the quickest rebuild in AFL history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hickey has been recruit of the year, their draftees (Gulden, Campbell and co) remind me of the Port trio (Rozee, Butters, Duursma) a few years back for impact, some real improvement from the likes of Wicks, Dawson etc - and they are playing good, hard, attractive football. Has been a really impressive performance this year. Helps when you can get someone like Buddy back on the park too !!

Hickey has been recruit of the year, their draftees (Gulden, Campbell and co) remind me of the Port trio (Rozee, Butters, Duursma) a few years back for impact, some real improvement from the likes of Wicks, Dawson etc - and they are playing good, hard, attractive football. Has been a really impressive performance this year. Helps when you can get someone like Buddy back on the park too !!

Agree entirely with Hickey. He is our most important player in 2021 as well. Come finals time I would rather be without Buddy than I would Hickey. Without Buddy we can still win, without Hickey we are screwed. He is also a really likable player for some reason, almost like Spangher.

As for the Swans the team has been targetting players who are naturally attacking with good foot skills for a while now. Guys like Warner, McInerney, Dawson, Gulden and Campbell have transformed the side into a much more attacking one, a team willing to take risks and break open the play, something we have not really had since Kennelly, Shaw and Mattner all retired years ago.

Blakey has also gone back recently as well and fingers crossed he is looking great in defence at the moment. Still needs to work on becoming a better one on one defender but he is quite attacking when he gets the ball and rebounds it out of defence quickly and usually accurately.

God I hate that word.

no we haven’t. Because they haven’t rebuilt. They’ve just continued doing what Sydney does, which is to constantly develop new players alongside established, credible, good strong older teammates and aimed to be as strong as they can be rather than accepting some undefined time period in purgatory trying to ‘create’ a new team

Agree entirely with Hickey. He is our most important player in 2021 as well. Come finals time I would rather be without Buddy than I would Hickey. Without Buddy we can still win, without Hickey we are screwed. He is also a really likable player for some reason, almost like Spangher.

As for the Swans the team has been targetting players who are naturally attacking with good foot skills for a while now. Guys like Warner, McInerney, Dawson, Gulden and Campbell have transformed the side into a much more attacking one, a team willing to take risks and break open the play, something we have not really had since Kennelly, Shaw and Mattner all retired years ago.

Blakey has also gone back recently as well and fingers crossed he is looking great in defence at the moment. Still needs to work on becoming a better one on one defender but he is quite attacking when he gets the ball and rebounds it out of defence quickly and usually accurately.

Think the recruitment and development has been good for a while, you just didn't get a lot of luck with injuries.

I've always liked Blakey for some strange reason, hope he continues to improve....

Think the recruitment and development has been good for a while, you just didn't get a lot of luck with injuries.

I've always liked Blakey for some strange reason, hope he continues to improve....

We were trying for ages to get run and attack from defence as well, which is why we recruited Ling and Stoddart. Stoddart got delisted and Ling has been injured a lot and even when he wasn't didn't show a huge amount but ran and attack has been a goal of the Swans recruiters for some time now.

Desperately need another tall defender and a young inside mid though, a young ruckman would not go amiss either.

Sydney.
Were cooked at the end of 2018.
Rebuilt over 2 years (2019 and 2020).
Now they're back in the finals and a chance to finish top 4.

Brisbane last in 1998, prelim final in 1999 and unlucky to run into North on their side of draw. If they had been lucky to get Essendon like us, would have been second for season.

When you are gifted talented kids through AFL hand outs it's much easier to stock pile talented kids.

Yeah I mean as opposed to being gifted talented kids because your team has spent season after season shitting it’s pants and getting priority picks or a raft of top 10 selections like a whole heap of other teams.

no Sydney are the team that have been given a tonne of unearned help

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I mean as opposed to being gifted talented kids because your team has spent season after season shitting it’s pants and getting priority picks or a raft of top 10 selections like a whole heap of other teams.

no Sydney are the team that have been given a tonne of unearned help

When you lose a GF and get the 2nd best kid in the draft that helps.

Sydney.
Were cooked at the end of 2018.
Rebuilt over 2 years (2019 and 2020).
Now they're back in the finals and a chance to finish top 4.

haha they went 14-8 in 2018

2019 8-14
2020 5-12 (most likely 7-8 wins in a normal length season)

I would argue that they never bottomed out and didn't need a full rebuild

haha they went 14-8 in 2018

2019 8-14
2020 5-12 (most likely 7-8 wins in a normal length season)

I would argue that they never bottomed out and didn't need a full rebuild

It has been a reasonable change though. Here is the team that only scored 30 points in the first week of finals in 2018 and was bowled out

B Dane Rampe, Heath Grundy, Jake Lloyd
HB Nic Newman, Aliir Aliir, Jarrad McVeigh
C Harry Cunningham, Josh P. Kennedy, Isaac Heeney
HF Oliver Florent, Tom McCartin, George Hewett
F Luke Parker, Lance Franklin, Will Hayward
FOL Callum Sinclair, Kieren Jack, Dan Hannebery
I/C Zak Jones, Tom Papley, Daniel Robinson, Ben Ronke

and if you want to include the emergencies

EMG Darcy Cameron, Jordan Dawson, Harry Marsh, Dean Towers

highlighted players are either gone or no longer in the best 22.

So 10 of the 22 are either gone or no longer best 22 players, and if you include the emergencies then it is 13 of 26. That is a pretty big change in only 2 and a half years.

When you lose a GF and get the 2nd best kid in the draft that helps.

So what?
the most important hawthorn player this century was acquired because of Fremantle being utterly useless

the second most important hawthorn player this century arrived due to a combination of a) hawthorn already missing him with their first pick which they were awarded due to their own shitness in 2004, and B) richmond’s ineptitude at the time and that of the Bulldoys as well.
Oh, and after getting lucky enough to land those two, Collingwood handed them another future four time flag player and all Australian

no well done you did a lot of great work to earn those players

It has been a reasonable change though. Here is the team that only scored 30 points in the first week of finals in 2018 and was bowled out

B Dane Rampe, Heath Grundy, Jake Lloyd
HB Nic Newman, Aliir Aliir, Jarrad McVeigh
C Harry Cunningham, Josh P. Kennedy, Isaac Heeney
HF Oliver Florent, Tom McCartin, George Hewett
F Luke Parker, Lance Franklin, Will Hayward
FOL Callum Sinclair, Kieren Jack, Dan Hannebery
I/C Zak Jones, Tom Papley, Daniel Robinson, Ben Ronke

and if you want to include the emergencies

EMG Darcy Cameron, Jordan Dawson, Harry Marsh, Dean Towers

highlighted players are either gone or no longer in the best 22.

So 10 of the 22 are either gone or no longer best 22 players, and if you include the emergencies then it is 13 of 26. That is a pretty big change in only 2 and a half years.
It's been a very good list regeneration and super impressive just not a full rebuild imo

For instance our 2018 PF losing team there are 9 players that are either gone or no longer best 22 and in no way do I think we have gone through a rebuild despite falling away for 2 years. So without going through all of the teams I would think turning over between 7-10 players from a best 22 would be fairly normal

So what?
the most important hawthorn player this century was acquired because of Fremantle being utterly useless

the second most important hawthorn player this century arrived due to a combination of a) hawthorn already missing him with their first pick which they were awarded due to their own shitness in 2004, and B) richmond’s ineptitude at the time and that of the Bulldoys as well.
Oh, and after getting lucky enough to land those two, Collingwood handed them another future four time flag player and all Australian

no well done you did a lot of great work to earn those players

Yes and we payed for them. Imagine every year we won the premiership we got a kid rated in the top 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back