List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the long post....

I think the delistings will heavily depend upon what the coaches think about Paddy, O'Connor and Gould.
What do they think about Paddy's concussion issues, his suspension and his response to it, how hard he trains and how fit he can become if picked up.
For O'Connor it will be about how fast he is improving and his work ethic in trying to improve and figure out the game.
Gould will have questions over his size, fitness, why he has struggled to stand out at reserves level and what sort of players he can play on given his poor change of direction, can he play as a true KPD at 191cm or will he only be able to play on medium forwards.

Brand doesnt seem to have the coaches favour but if we arent picking up Paddy might be kept for depth with Melican so often injured.
Ling's injury history and lacklustre reserves form will probably see him gone - small chance to be kept as defensive backup if there isnt much confidence in O'Connor and Gould.
Carruthers as a small\medium defender could go or stay as first year rookie list players dont always get much of a chance.
O'Riordan I think has hit his ceiling and isnt quite good enough to be best 22. Would tell him to look for another team and if no one wants him would look to switch him to the rookie list as decent backup.
Ronke hasn't been able to force his way into the seniors but hasn't been bad at reserves level so similarly with O'Riordan I would look to delist and then rookie him as backup.
I dont think there is much value in keeping Gray or Clarke going forward, we would have to be having a very bad time with injuries for either of them to get a call up.
Mclean is an interesting one as he is a 3rd year rookie so needs to be elevated to the senior list to be retained. Played some good games in the seniors but overall struggled to make an impact before being replaced by Amartey. Depending upon trades, free agents and draftees could see his spot under some pressure.
Sinclair is done as an AFL level player, I would be looking to replace him with a fringe, ideally cheap, ready to go backup ruck and only keep him if we absolutely have to.
Bell seems to have the coaches backing even though his stats arent generally great, so he must be doing something right. Having said that his opportunities may dry up depending upon who we pick up over the off-season which could see him be a more unlikely delisting.

I feel that despite performing beyond expectations this year that there is some dead wood that needs to be cleared out of the list to make room to pick up some more potential gems that will see us dominate the competition for the next decade or so 🤞.
I can't argue with any of that.
Sheather you left out who is doing very well.
McAndrew is a long term prospect.
Naismith will be managed and moved on. 30 next year and played 30 games.

Next year
Forwards
Reid 31
Buddy 35
McLean a bit one dimensional
ideally we get another KPF

Defenders
McCartin needs help with the big boys
Melican is always injured
Brand is not wanted
ideally we need a big arse key defender

Mids
You always need more

Ruck
Naismith-see above
Sinclair-best is behind him but has been a warrior
Hickey-see Jesus Christ
McAndrew- hopefully son of god
We need one more developing or better ruck

Sorry for the long post....

I think the delistings will heavily depend upon what the coaches think about Paddy, O'Connor and Gould.
What do they think about Paddy's concussion issues, his suspension and his response to it, how hard he trains and how fit he can become if picked up.
For O'Connor it will be about how fast he is improving and his work ethic in trying to improve and figure out the game.
Gould will have questions over his size, fitness, why he has struggled to stand out at reserves level and what sort of players he can play on given his poor change of direction, can he play as a true KPD at 191cm or will he only be able to play on medium forwards.

Brand doesnt seem to have the coaches favour but if we arent picking up Paddy might be kept for depth with Melican so often injured.
Ling's injury history and lacklustre reserves form will probably see him gone - small chance to be kept as defensive backup if there isnt much confidence in O'Connor and Gould.
Carruthers as a small\medium defender could go or stay as first year rookie list players dont always get much of a chance.
O'Riordan I think has hit his ceiling and isnt quite good enough to be best 22. Would tell him to look for another team and if no one wants him would look to switch him to the rookie list as decent backup.
Ronke hasn't been able to force his way into the seniors but hasn't been bad at reserves level so similarly with O'Riordan I would look to delist and then rookie him as backup.
I dont think there is much value in keeping Gray or Clarke going forward, we would have to be having a very bad time with injuries for either of them to get a call up.
Mclean is an interesting one as he is a 3rd year rookie so needs to be elevated to the senior list to be retained. Played some good games in the seniors but overall struggled to make an impact before being replaced by Amartey. Depending upon trades, free agents and draftees could see his spot under some pressure.
Sinclair is done as an AFL level player, I would be looking to replace him with a fringe, ideally cheap, ready to go backup ruck and only keep him if we absolutely have to.
Bell seems to have the coaches backing even though his stats arent generally great, so he must be doing something right. Having said that his opportunities may dry up depending upon who we pick up over the off-season which could see him be a more unlikely delisting.

I feel that despite performing beyond expectations this year that there is some dead wood that needs to be cleared out of the list to make room to pick up some more potential gems that will see us dominate the competition for the next decade or so 🤞.

Great post especially about decisions on defenders going forward. I agree with many of your thoughts. We are really short a KPD. Rampe's powers are in slow decline and I sense he is being heavily umpired.

Paddy is classes above Brand and Melican in all aspects. The key issues are health related. I hope he has shown enough to be drafted in on minimum chips.

In addition to being injury prone, Melican lacks game sense and is unreliable. It is a pity he is contracted but who knows other Clubs might have an interest. Unhappily he stays which means Brand goes.

I share your doubts about Gould. He is not tall enough for a KPD and not agile enough to play on a smart third medium tall.

O'Connor has shown bits and is worth keeping as a project player. If it were between Gould and BOC I would go the latter.

What we don't know is what the coaches are asking players to work on and how they have explained their expectations.
Of the listed VFL guys only Sheather seems to have displayed significant improvement and appears to have room for much more.
Campbell will be fine as his body adapts.
Ling and Gould APPEAR to be disappointing and might be vulnerable.
O'Connor at this stage looks a possibility.
COR has hit his ceiling but is decent depth who can play at AFL level.
Gray will likely never play AFL seniors again.
Clarke, Ronke and Taylor are barely AFL standard in roles.
Bell is AFL standard in a role.
Sinkers is probably due to retire but might be offered another year if we can't find a suitable backup.
I can see us delisting a few guys that we might be prepared to re-rookie if we can't get suitable replacements. Sinkers for instance. Gould? COR? Ronke?

I had expected to see more players resign over the last few weeks. We're either seriously strained for cap space or are cooking something for it to take this long.
We have a lot of contracts finishing this year. Must be a nightmare working out the money pool for them, who will be delisted, how many draftees, any trades in or out.
Then how to divide up the money pool.
Tough job!
Where Gardiner earns his $.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are serious about our future then we would make Hewett a priority and do whatever is necessary to re-sign him. I know Mills is touted as the next big thing in our midfield and is two years younger than Hewett, but Hewett himself is only just in his prime now and I see no reason he can't be every bit as good as Mills.

In fact when Mills returns, it shouldn't be Hewett's role that is impacted. JPK or Parker can either spend more time forward or take the defensive mid role and we can let the two younger mids control proceedings out of the centre.

We have a lot of contracts finishing this year. Must be a nightmare working out the money pool for them, who will be delisted, how many draftees, any trades in or out.
Then how to divide up the money pool.
Tough job!
Where Gardiner earns his $.
If we are serious about our future then we would make Hewett a priority and do whatever is necessary to re-sign him. I know Mills is touted as the next big thing in our midfield and is two years younger than Hewett, but Hewett himself is only just in his prime now and I see no reason he can't be every bit as good as Mills.

In fact when Mills returns, it shouldn't be Hewett's role that is impacted. JPK or Parker can either spend more time forward or take the defensive mid role and we can let the two younger mids control proceedings out of the centre.

Very rare that players this deep into a season stick around if they are unsigned.

Need to do everything we can to keep this group together, not interested in bringing anyone in

Very rare?

Geez the whole competition is in big big trouble then….. must be a lot of player movement this year…!

Its ironic that we might be struggling to re-contract players because we might be paying overs to keep Sydney based players like Heeney 800 k plus The main concept of having an Academy was aligned to player retention. We are now having to potentially pay more to retain Academy players ,which makes it harder to sign up the likes of Hewett and Dawson.

Its ironic that we might be struggling to re-contract players because we might be paying overs to keep Sydney based players like Heeney 800 k plus The main concept of having an Academy was aligned to player retention. We are now having to potentially pay more to retain Academy players ,which makes it harder to sign up the likes of Hewett and Dawson.

We have had to pay more to retain someone like Heeney because other clubs showed interest and offered big money just like any other player. It is likely that we are paying less than those offers because of the fact the player is from NSW/academy aligned. So the academy from that viewpoint is still giving us a discounted local.

I dont think people need to worry too much yet. It is quite possible the club has put off negotiations while the players are away from Sydney as it makes it harder to negotiate and they probably dont want to distract the players while they are away for an unknown amount of time.

Having said that I think it would be more likely that we lose Hewett than Dawson as Dawson gets moved wherever he will have the most impact on the game showing a distinct trust in him from the coaches and on the other hand Hewett has not had a look in at midfield time until form forced Rowbottom out, Warner got injured and then Mills had to miss. Even when we were getting thrashed in the midfield earlier in the year Hewett wasnt used to try to stem the bleeding at any point. It is possible that the coaches already know he is likely to leave at seasons end and are wanting to build the midfield with the players that will be staying. It could also explain our rumoured interest in Lapinski as the inside player to replace Kennedy rather than using Hewett.

The AFL has told the 18 clubs they are revising the industry’s finances given the huge extra costs of the last few weeks.
Until there is more certainty, the league will not be able to notify clubs of the exact salary cap or soft cap figures for next year.

However foxfooty.com.au understands chief executives from all 18 teams on Wednesday were told the soft cap would be increased by $250,000 - $500,000 for the 2022 season.
That would take the number above 6.5 million but keep it below $7 million.
Before Covid-19, football department spending rose to more than $9 million.
The salary cap, which was cut by $1.4 million after the virus hit, is still being worked through with the AFL Players’ Association and won’t be known for some time.

If you were a player manager with a client likely to be of interest to various clubs, would you extend your player's contract, at this point of time, unless there was a whopping pay rise offered?

A factor that people have to keep in mind is that next year is the last season of the current CBA before the AFL and the AFLPA sit down and work out a new salary cap for the next five years. That won't be worked out until mid-way through next season going by the last CBA agreement. This prevents clubs from planning too far into the future salary cap wise as they don't have a salary cap figure to work with yet beyond 2022.

That in of itself would normally be planned around by continuing with the 2022 cap figure, except that figure has already been cut downwards from the original CBA as part of the salary cuts the AFLPA agreed for 2021 and 2022 at the end of last year. So the clubs don't know if to plan on the original 2022 figure, the current 2022 figure, or hope for the best when it comes to 2023 and beyond.

The complicating factor is that the CBA will be worked out off the back of two COVID hit seasons and there is every chance even more cuts to the salary cap beyond 2022 could take place. So I can understand clubs leaving contract talks back so long, they are most likely awaiting some certainty from the AFL what the likely salary cap will be going forward.

A factor that people have to keep in mind is that next year is the last season of the current CBA before the AFL and the AFLPA sit down and work out a new salary cap for the next five years. That won't be worked out until mid-way through next season going by the last CBA agreement. This prevents clubs from planning too far into the future salary cap wise as they don't have a salary cap figure to work with yet beyond 2022.

That in of itself would normally be planned around by continuing with the 2022 cap figure, except that figure has already been cut downwards from the original CBA as part of the salary cuts the AFLPA agreed for 2021 and 2022 at the end of last year. So the clubs don't know if to plan on the original 2022 figure, the current 2022 figure, or hope for the best when it comes to 2023 and beyond.

The complicating factor is that the CBA will be worked out off the back of two COVID hit seasons and there is every chance even more cuts to the salary cap beyond 2022 could take place. So I can understand clubs leaving contract talks back so long, they are most likely awaiting some certainty from the AFL what the likely salary cap will be going forward.

They might even look to extend the current CBA by a year to give them all more time to assess the damage covid has done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back