Has Lance Franklin surpassed Wayne Carey as the greatest key forward of the modern era?

Has Lance Franklin surpassed Wayne Carey as the greatest key forward of the modern era?

• Yes – already

• Not yet – but he will

• No – and he won't

• Someone else is the best

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

If we're sitting here in 2020 and 33-year-old Franklin is still one of the absolute top-liners, having played 300+ games for 1000+ goals, I think it'll be almost impossible to dispute his status as top dog.
Well, it took an extra year or so but he's pretty close to 300+ games with 1000+ goals.

Is there any argument that he's eclipsed Carey due to his longevity.

I mean, he's 34 and still kicking a touch under 3 goals a game this year, at an age when Carey was well past it. He'd be in the top 3-4 in the Coleman if he hadn't missed a handful of games.

Well, it took an extra year or so but he's pretty close to 300+ games with 1000+ goals.

I mean, he's 34 and still kicking a touch under 3 goals a game this year, at an age when Carey was well past it. He'd be in the top 3-4 in the Coleman if he hadn't missed a handful of games.

1. Carey peak performance 1992-2000
2. buddy’s peak performance is from 2007-2021. People forget he was the captain of the AA team in 2018 the last full season of football he played he hardly played 2019 and not at all in 2020
3. Buddy’s best 5 years compares favourable to Carey’s
4. He will finish second in Coleman medal - if he didn’t miss 4 games he would easily win it.

2. buddy’s peak performance is from 2007-2021. People forget he was the captain of the AA team in 2018 the last full season of football he played he hardly played 2019 and not at all in 2020
I don't think people forget. More accurate to say no one cares about that.

Being AA captain is perhaps the most meaningless accolade one could offer to support Franklin's claim.

At more or less the same age Carey was averaging 2 goals a game - in one of those seasons 8 Adelaide players kicked 20+ goals, in the other he was sharing the forward line with Scott Welsh of all people and not as the goal kicking spearhead. Considering his career average was 2.6 goals it wasn’t as though Carey was just a shadow of himself at Adelaide. Considering what had happened and the fact that he was in a completely new team I don’t think it should be dismissed so quickly

I don't think people forget. More accurate to say no one cares about that.

Being AA captain is perhaps the most meaningless accolade one could offer to support Franklin's claim.

change it to All Australian then, I don’t disagree with you on captain. But AA honours when only 22 of the league make it is an amazing achievement

I was going to say "Buddy's a great player, but he's not even Sydney's best forward of the modern era".

Depends on how you define modern era. I know many will say 1990 as that was the birth of the AFL, but I personally see the modern era as the year every player on a list became fully professional, so no player had side jobs to make ends meet. That happened more mid 2000's or later. Certainly when Locket was still playing there were plenty of semi-professional players still playing too.

Imagine Tony Lockett playing against modern defenders with modern zones and constantly being double or triple teamed every time his team kicked long to him...

Yea... That's what Buddy has to deal with.

How many time while he played alongside Roughead, Gunston, Breust and Hale do you think he was triple teamed? Yes things have changed for key forwards - my own team has one who would have been absolutely perfect for the game of 1980-2000 - but you don’t need to exaggerate that much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many time while he played alongside Roughead, Gunston, Breust and Hale do you think he was triple teamed? Yes things have changed for key forwards - my own team has one who would have been absolutely perfect for the game of 1980-2000 - but you don’t need to exaggerate that much

It is no coincidence that the top goal kickers in the AFL mostly played in the 80's and 90's. They (players) were not magically more talented than they are today, it was just easier to kick goals back then, a lot easier.

It is no coincidence that the top goal kickers in the AFL mostly played in the 80's and 90's. They (players) were not magically more talented than they are today, it was just easier to kick goals back then, a lot easier.

Back then they practiced goal kicking. These days they are just plain s**t.

Its embarrassing how bad so many of them are now.

Go check out the 1.5 thread. Pretty sure its more than 1/4 of games with teams being 1.5 or worse.

And its not fatigue. These are 1st and 2nd quarter stats.

Define bud as a mercurial hf flanker and he’s in a class of his own, all time

He really plays nothing like the other players who have all kicked 1000 goals. I mean one thing Dunstall, Lockett, Ablett and I presume Wade and Coventry (though I don't know with the last two) had in common was they were all excellent marks. Buddy really isn't, I mean he can be okay, but he is okay at best. He finds completely different ways to kick many of his goals, ways that Ablett, Dunstall and Lockett didn't.

Back