Autopsy Round 21, 2021: Hawthorn smack Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn are currently working out a contract extension for Morrison.
Has had his best season with us. Wasn't meant to be back this soon after his bad hammy strain but played a level above in the VFL and came straight back in.

Wasn't his best game today but was also his first full length hit out for almost 2 months. Our wing stocks look decent with Phillips, Morrison, Bramble and a developing Downie.
Has he had his best season for us?
Could be wrong but hasn't played too much and when he has played, looked average at best
Not meaning to hate on the guy as I saw potential a few years ago, but I don't see him being good enough to hold down a spot in a good team (hoping we will be in a few years)

Since the bye:
9 games
4 1/2 wins. Beaten Sydney, GWS, Brisbane (3 top 8 sides and also drew with Melbourne making 4), Collingwood.

Next year: Day, Sicily, CJ, Gunston, Jarman will return.
We are not as bad as many think.

We'll find out the answer to that in 2022, but as things stand we've had back to back bottom 4 finishes.

Could be wrong but hasn't played too much and when he has played, looked average at best
Not meaning to hate on the guy as I saw potential a few years ago, but I don't see him being good enough to hold down a spot in a good team (hoping we will be in a few years)

Averaging career high disposals and played the first 10 games. Injured in round 13 after starring in the first quarter against the Swans.

His first month in particular was probably the best form of his career.

I don't think he is guaranteed best 22 next season if Downie comes on but he's certainly earned his place.

I to do not like saying it but Harry plays that little bit short of what is needed. Just lacks the necessary polish. Lovely fella, but I don’t think so.

Scorecard for the marginal players:

Hanrahan 3 - could not get a handle on the ball and missed a couple of difficult overhead marks. Covered some territory but not really used in the rotations. Should be given another opportunity but no cert for 2022.
Nash 7 - not quite as influential as last week but 20 possessions, 4 clearances, 5 tackles and a goal is a decent afternoon's work. Clean tackles, quick hands and footy smarts. Clearly has a future.
Howe 7 - not sure he is marginal these days. He has had a consistent year, gets to the right places and has good skills overhead and by foot. Can be a bit slow in his decision-making but he has managed to cut out the clangers that were once a regular part of his game. Could well be best 22 this year.
Moore 9 - does he remind anyone else of Brent Harvey? Undersized but does everything well - has a turn of speed, a terrific tank, good overhead, nice kick, quick brain and wills himself into the contest.
Ceglar 4 - his second efforts are fantastic - everything else is hit and miss. On his day, he is our best tap ruckman and a dangerous resting forward but his day is occasional.
Hartigan 4 - A for effort but way too many unforced errors.
Kositzche 5 - seems to have found his radar again, love his leg-speed but he does not impose himself.
Lewis 4 - challenging TOB for he "almost" title. Has a presence but needs to hold on to the big contested grabs and frighten defenders.
TOB 6 - held his marks and efficient by foot - worth another year,
Morrison 4 - struggled in the first half but a bit better in the second. Should improve.
Brockman 2 - limited opportunities but had a go.
Bramble 8 - fluent, attacking game - makes excellent use of his leg-speed and his disposal by foot is better than average.
Harsh on Ceglar with a 4 held his own or maybe even beat Grundy, 7 for me.

If we have found two, it has to be Dylan Moore and Lachie Bramble. Fabulous improvement.
Moore is now a reliable, dangerous small forward and Bramble a running fine user of the footy. Both great finds I never expected but proves it can happen.

Yep 20 possessions, 6 marks and 8 clearances is a fair day work for a ruckman

Poor Cegs often gets marked harshly on this forum.
There has been talk of trading him, not sure why we would do this. Last time i checked we don’t have any better options at BH.

great back up ruck and can hold down the no. 1 spot like today when called upon. Keeper for me

There has been talk of trading him, not sure why we would do this. Last time i checked we don’t have any better options at BH.

great back up ruck and can hold down the no. 1 spot like today when called upon. Keeper for me
Big Boy isn't getting any younger so as you say at the very least he is a great insurance for our ruck stocks.

If we have found two, it has to be Dylan Moore and Lachie Bramble. Fabulous improvement.
Moore is now a reliable, dangerous small forward and Bramble a running fine user of the footy. Both great finds I never expected but proves it can happen.
The Irish kid showed a bit too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like watching O'Meara and Wingard play at their best. O'Meara has had a lot of good patches this year. Still isn't someone that other teams lose sleep about, but he's a beast in the middle when he's got the right support.

Lachie Bramble is really great. Just makes things happen and doesn't waste it. Good decision maker and skill has improved a lot in a short amount of time.

Moore is the surprise packet. So often he wins a contest where you'd be happy for him to halve it. Just keeps at it. Tenacious and brings other people into the game well.

The List has a lot, lot of work needed. Again I say, it is not about being a little more competitive……it is about Premierships. This is far from a premiership List. Let’s be aggressive and build one. This week it looks like it will take three years. Next week it will look like five years.

That is what the HFC does.
In my opinion if we nail this draft (3 picks in the top 25), another 4 or 5 of our fringe players step up out of the blue (like Kosi, CJ, Moore and Bramble have this season), our 6 national draft picks (hardly played yet) from the last 2 begin to emerge as quality players (Day already has), the return of Sicily and Gunston, players step up a class (Scrimshaw goes from B to A grader) we can play finals as soon as next year, definitely 2023. Becoming a premiership contender is so hard to judge, the Dees emergence this season as one was hard to predict. What I will say in terms of the current contenders is that for the Hawks, there is a hill to climb to the top not a mountain.
Most important list needs in my opinion:
1. Key defender to play on the gorillas to replace Hartigan beyond next season
2. Classy Inside/outside midfielder e.g Callaghan
3. Speedy, ball carrying outside midfielder/wingman e.g Sinn
Confident with Reeves in the Ruck and Lewis and Kosi can hold down the key forward positions moving forward. They are young, developing nicely and don’t need to be the next Franklin or Roughead.

Yep 20 possessions, 6 marks and 8 clearances is a fair day work for a ruckman

Poor Cegs often gets marked harshly on this forum.
Yep.

Some on here ride him as though he has caused Covid 19.

I have watched BB live 5 times this year and IMO he is nearly burnt to a crisp, Cegs has to stay on our list.

The game had the intensity you'd expect from two bottom 4 sides with three weeks to go, but positive signs from developing players:
- Bramble, Scrimshaw, Moore excellent
- Nash continuing to show good signs in the middle.
- Kosi kicked 3 despite not having a great day. That's promising

Mitchell clear BOG. He just loves the Pies.

Robert Harvey won't be getting the Collingwood job.
No actually the intensity was quite high so I disagree.

For those getting caught up in draft position from what I have read this seems to be the year where if you're not holding #1 it probably doesn't really matter. Couldn't give a toss as long as we keep winning.

I appreciate this is not the right thread, and I stress I would be saying exactly the same if it was a Hawthorn player, but the sanction dished out to Taylor Walker is an absolute disgrace. Utter disgrace. Totally sad. It should have been doubled as a minimum and if we see Walker again I will spew up !!!!
I don't think there's too many who would disagree with you.

Harry Morrison’s month prior to the hammy when the teams form was terrible he was really good. So I don’t agree with you

Yep.

Some on here ride him as though he has caused Covid 19.

I have watched BB live 5 times this year and IMO he is nearly burnt to a crisp, Cegs has to stay on our list.
Seems like he is likeable fella and good clubman as well.

You need players like Cegs on a list. He will never be a star but he puts in and will give his all (and on occasion will suppose with his performances)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back