Autopsy Round 21, 2021: Hawthorn smack Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

heck loosing! Winning culture eats draft picks for breakfast….
Scrim one of the best kicks I’ve seen and can mark. We have found a few this year with Kosie, Moore, Bramble etc.
it’s not all doom and gloom. Add Sic, Day, CJ, Breust, Gunston, Imp, Reeves, DGB and co, hit the draft and hope s Mitchell, brockman come on and we are good
Btw - surfed this morning - then had 15 cans - ripping iso day!

He's a big gorilla that gets his way physically, that's for sure. They don't come easy. I think we'll be persisting with him for another season, maybe two. Unless another cheap trade presents itself.

He does protect smaller bodies no doubt, he just isn't very good though and if we get a quality FB we'll have an unreal backline.

How many years do you plan on doing the "If we only still had Clarko" routine? I'm not saying you can't do it, I just need to prepare myself for a long game I suspect.

At least until Clarko is no longer the head coach and the one making the decisions probably.

Seems to be quite a few who think he is already gone and everything good now is the magic of Mitchell.

Congrats on the win (as usual :rolleyes: :mad:).
I was posting on our board that Ceglar is a good ruckman. Thought he easily was the best ruckman on the ground today. Dominic03 tells me's "terrible".... is that how you guys feel about him?

Ceglar is just a typical hard-working Hawthorn ruckman: no frills, all effort, never shirks a contest.

I apologise as you have been very polite, but I don’t think much of your ruckman: typical overrated Collingwood player, does a couple of fancy things, then disappears when the heat is on.

You shouldn’t be - was a very high level junior athlete - Stawell 800m winner as a teenager and was pretty handy over the spring distances as well. Tested really well at draft camp - won the sprint repeat efforts and top 5 in 2k time trial

His work rate and attitude off field is elite, been banging on about all this ever since he was drafted
Think it’s more how quickly it’s come on in game across 4qr - if his tank keeps building there’s some rare air coming.

It’s bloody exciting

Overall happy with the win but the Pies aren't much chop. Few thoughts for the game
Ceglar: Very underrated and a perfect ressies ruckman who can come in and do a job. Unlucky to not win a flag or 2
Scrimshaw: Turning into a very solid player. Good mark and foot skills
Morrison: Unfortunately think that might be him done. Not strong, fast or good foot skills. Been on the list for at least 5 years so might be time to part ways.
Lewis/Kozi: Both show so much potential but really need to kick on next year and be a threat week in week out
Nash: Up until last week was happy to have paid the airfare myself to get him back to Ireland but based on the last 2 weeks happy to give him another 1 year contract. A bull in the middle and nice quick hands

Ceglar is just a typical hard-working Hawthorn ruckman: no frills, all effort, never shirks a contest.

I apologise as you have been very polite, but I don’t think much of your ruckman: typical overrated Collingwood player, does a couple of fancy things, then disappears when the heat is on.

Thats ok. He is over rated I agree. But he is also a bit of an unusual beast who still has upside imv. His raw stats are pretty awesome. Some of what he does goes a bit unnoticed too. For example, he's our second best tackler. We need to work out how to use him better.
But he also needs to change his game a bit and focus more on being impactful with his possessions and make his tap work dominance count.

Overall happy with the win but the Pies aren't much chop. Few thoughts for the game
Ceglar: Very underrated and a perfect ressies ruckman who can come in and do a job. Unlucky to not win a flag or 2
Scrimshaw: Turning into a very solid player. Good mark and foot skills
Morrison: Unfortunately think that might be him done. Not strong, fast or good foot skills. Been on the list for at least 5 years so might be time to part ways.
Lewis/Kozi: Both show so much potential but really need to kick on next year and be a threat week in week out
Nash: Up until last week was happy to have paid the airfare myself to get him back to Ireland but based on the last 2 weeks happy to give him another 1 year contract. A bull in the middle and nice quick hands

Hawthorn are currently working out a contract extension for Morrison.
Has had his best season with us. Wasn't meant to be back this soon after his bad hammy strain but played a level above in the VFL and came straight back in.

Wasn't his best game today but was also his first full length hit out for almost 2 months. Our wing stocks look decent with Phillips, Morrison, Bramble and a developing Downie.

Hawthorn are currently working out a contract extension for Morrison.
Has had his best season with us. Wasn't meant to be back this soon after his bad hammy strain but played a level above in the VFL and came straight back in.

Wasn't his best game today but was also his first full length hit out for almost 2 months. Our wing stocks look decent with Phillips, Morrison, Bramble and a developing Downie.

The issue is, who's gonna be the A grade wing ? I think Bramble is probably the best chance out of that lot ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol omeara a fail, mitchell a fail, wingard a fail, scrimshaw a fail, frost a fail.........what a load of rubbish. Well done guys. Think you have a list that will be in contention sooner rather than later and nothing wrong with your recruiting.

With omeara leading, mitchell doing mitchell and all those young guys developing i reckon there is huge potential movong forward.

Now suns just need clarkspn to come here and who knows we may be competing up the top end with you hahahahah

Scorecard for the marginal players:

Hanrahan 3 - could not get a handle on the ball and missed a couple of difficult overhead marks. Covered some territory but not really used in the rotations. Should be given another opportunity but no cert for 2022.
Nash 7 - not quite as influential as last week but 20 possessions, 4 clearances, 5 tackles and a goal is a decent afternoon's work. Clean tackles, quick hands and footy smarts. Clearly has a future.
Howe 7 - not sure he is marginal these days. He has had a consistent year, gets to the right places and has good skills overhead and by foot. Can be a bit slow in his decision-making but he has managed to cut out the clangers that were once a regular part of his game. Could well be best 22 this year.
Moore 9 - does he remind anyone else of Brent Harvey? Undersized but does everything well - has a turn of speed, a terrific tank, good overhead, nice kick, quick brain and wills himself into the contest.
Ceglar 4 - his second efforts are fantastic - everything else is hit and miss. On his day, he is our best tap ruckman and a dangerous resting forward but his day is occasional.
Hartigan 4 - A for effort but way too many unforced errors.
Kositzche 5 - seems to have found his radar again, love his leg-speed but he does not impose himself.
Lewis 4 - challenging TOB for he "almost" title. Has a presence but needs to hold on to the big contested grabs and frighten defenders.
TOB 6 - held his marks and efficient by foot - worth another year,
Morrison 4 - struggled in the first half but a bit better in the second. Should improve.
Brockman 2 - limited opportunities but had a go.
Bramble 8 - fluent, attacking game - makes excellent use of his leg-speed and his disposal by foot is better than average.

Hanrahan 3 - could not get a handle on the ball and missed a couple of difficult overhead marks. Covered some territory but not really used in the rotations. Should be given another opportunity but no cert for 2022.
Nash 7 - not quite as influential as last week but 20 possessions, 4 clearances, 5 tackles and a goal is a decent afternoon's work. Clean tackles, quick hands and footy smarts. Clearly has a future.
Howe 7 - not sure he is marginal these days. He has had a consistent year, gets to the right places and has good skills overhead and by foot. Can be a bit slow in his decision-making but he has managed to cut out the clangers that were once a regular part of his game. Could well be best 22 this year.
Moore 9 - does he remind anyone else of Brent Harvey? Undersized but does everything well - has a turn of speed, a terrific tank, good overhead, nice kick, quick brain and wills himself into the contest.
Ceglar 4 - his second efforts are fantastic - everything else is hit and miss. On his day, he is our best tap ruckman and a dangerous resting forward but his day is occasional.
Kositzche 5 - seems to have found his radar again, love his leg-speed but he does not impose himself.
Lewis 4 - challenging TOB for he "almost" title. Has a presence but needs to hold on to the big contested grabs and frighten defenders.
Morrison 4 - struggled in the first half but a bit better in the second. Should improve.
Bramble 8 - fluent, attacking game - makes excellent use of his leg-speed and his disposal by foot is better than average.
Giving Cegs an4 is a little harsh.

20 disposals, 6 marks and 30 hitouts is a solid 7 at least for a ruckman.

On the back of Ceglar’s superior ruckwork, no doubt😆

Actually, it's something I wish I could look into in more detail. Nash in there and Worps out is a good first place to look. Mitchell's first hand on the ball mastery has been so much more productive with the setup of the last few weeks. It definitely seems as if the mids are playing a more team game.

He's a big gorilla that gets his way physically, that's for sure. They don't come easy. I think we'll be persisting with him for another season, maybe two. Unless another cheap trade presents itself.

For sure he has earned another year. DGB may never have the size to take the massive key forwards. I dont think we have anyone else on the way up either so we either draft and wait a couple of years or trade.

Its a shame he didnt elbow Walsh after Buddy not before. He wouldnt have got 3 weeks. Possibly just a fine !

You are a harsh task master. Wow.

Good win. Wanted the draft pick, but these wins really do instill belief for next year.

We are realising we just aren't as bad as some of these other sides. Plus the shackles are off, and we are playing with more freedom. I mean, just look what North did yesterday.

Mitchell back to his best.

Chad playing like a man possessed.

Moore turning into one of our best now.

Good day for the club.

Plus Kingy was wrong. North had a mortgage on that spoon.

The List has a lot, lot of work needed. Again I say, it is not about being a little more competitive……it is about Premierships. This is far from a premiership List. Let’s be aggressive and build one. This week it looks like it will take three years. Next week it will look like five years.

That is what the HFC does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back