Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMU Mustangs, Matildas
As we go into the penultimate round of the home & away season, spare a thought for Ticky009 who's recovering from surgery. Let's hope the boys give you something to smile about today, Tick!

Now, on to the game.

Funny old fixture this one. It's deadly important that we maintain the killer instinct and keep momentum in the final weeks of the season. Having said that, we really have very little to play for as, barring something extraordinary happening, we finish 6th no matter what.

One of the most important things come finals is a club’s injury list and up til this week ours has been the envy of the competition. That may be beginning to fade as Horse has rung some big changes for the Kangas. Resting Buddy could well mean the big fella’ll need 8 or 9 grand final goal to reach the thousand. Stephens is gone and probably gone for good. While the big surprise is Jake Lloyd who's having a very rare week off. I can't remember the last time Jake missed a game.

Just as disappointing for Swans fans is the absence of Millsy for the second game in a row as he battles an Achilles strain. And with only two games left til September there’s still no call up for the Chad. Time is running out for the Swans' board favorite.

In better news, Braeden Campbell pulls on the boots this week for his first senior game since late April. Lewis Melican is back to add another big body in defense. While at the other end, Hayden McLean gets the chance to build on his breakthrough season in Buddy's absence. There's been complaints about the omission of Logan McDonald this week but let’s be honest - McLean's rarely let us down year. Hopefully he can slot a few more goals today.

I don't need to tell any of you guys what a delight it's been to watch the team over the past couple of months - 5 wins on the trot in one of our toughest runs in the fixture. I suspect I wasn’t the only one starting to dream big. Then we get a bit of a wake up call against the Saints last week. It might well be a blessing in disguise and either way, you can't question the character of the team given their extended stint away from home. It's been one crazy season.

Was it a mere blip? Was it the loss we had to have? As one poster put it this week, perhaps more important than the loss is the team's response. Today the boys get their chance to do just that.

North Melbourne

The Roos were the early season basket case. They didn't just lose their first 8 games, they kinda got hammered. It was only a round 9 meeting in Tassie before they snuck a win against the hapless Hawks.

Since then, North have proved to be the competition's big improvers. They've been consistently competitive, beating the Suns, West Coast and Carlton as well as pinching a draw against the Giants.

And while they still remain bottom of the table, things have changed in recent weeks and North are a team playing well above expectations. David Noble has got the boys up and about. Veterans Ziebell, Tarrant and Goldstein have been refreshed by the youthful brigade of guys like Zurhaar and David-Unieke. Jaidyn Stephenson's been a handy recruit and the Roos have found a quality replacement for Ben Brown in Nick Larkey. 199cm Charlie Comden will debut for North today.

For a team that took a while to get going, North have won 2 of their last five. In Power ranking terms they're definitely a team on the rise. Roos fans will be buoyed by the lure of a number one draft pick to join their youthful squad which is closing out 2021 with plenty of promise. And they have absolutely nothing to lose.

North will fancy a challenge against the 6th placed Swans. And history suggests they normally give us a run for our money. The Swans are 3-2 in our past five outings.

There may not be much to play for, but Horse stressed this week the importance of keeping the best team we could on the park. To me that suggests the boys know how important it is to finish the season with our foot to the floor. North may be the big improvers but only one of these two teams is fine tuning for a tilt in September. I reckon we get the job done.

Swans by 21 points.

Last edited:
Thanks discotobo for our game day thread. Feel better soon Ticky009

Aye. Wish you a speedy recovery Tickerama!

Great game day Review discotobo . Noble has done a terrific job at North so far (with the old firm of Blakey and Roos in the background.. Even though they will finish bottom they have been the season's big improvers along with the Dons and the mighty Bloods.

I reckon we win this by 17.

Today is a chance for a couple of players to show they belong in the team to play GWS come finals.

Wicks, in particular, needs to have an impact.

Rowbottom needs to spend more than 60% of game time on the ground.

And McLean needs to crash packs and demonstrate why he deserves to be in front of McDonald and Armatey.

We are playing the wooden spooners & although it makes no difference to ladder position, a loss would be a real confidence killer.

Swans by 6 goals, with Heeney kicking 6.

I feel super nervous about this game. I dont know why. I should be confident like i was against the Dogs. Feel like we peaked a little early but hoping we can regroup and push hard these last 2 rounds into finals. The kids would be getting tired which is totally understandable and i dont harbour big expectations because of this, but god i love seeing us win!!!

Today is a chance for a couple of players to show they belong in the team to play GWS come finals.

Wicks, in particular, needs to have an impact.

Rowbottom needs to spend more than 60% of game time on the ground.

And McLean needs to crash packs and demonstrate why he deserves to be in front of McLean and Armatey.

We are playing the wooden spooners & although it makes no difference to ladder position, a loss would be a real confidence killer.

Swans by 6 goals, with Heeney kicking 6.

:oops:

While at the other end, Hayden McLean gets the chance to build on his breakthrough season in Buddy's absence. There's been complaints about the omission of Logan McDonald this week but let’s be honest - McLean's rarely let us down year. Hopefully he can slot a few more goals today.

Really? Maybe "let us down" is overly dramatic, but I can only remember one or possibly two games in which McLean was effective and genuinely contributed. He's been completely anonymous in most of the rest. Sadly he seems like a pretty limited played and a significant downgrade on Amartey (who looks to have more of an upside), though I'd love to be proved wrong.

I'm kind of split on Mcdonald. He was fairly impressive in the first couple of games, but had a worryingly precipitous decline thereafter. Hopefully it's just the first year yips.

not big on predictions these days ... but this is more about the season overall ...
i think after last week, this game will tell us whether the swans have hit their peak in a very promising year of development or whether there's even more to come in this remarkable season
it's about the mindset as much as anything else ... we actually don't need to win, we will be playing finals, which is a fantastic achievement whatever else happens ... but are we going into finals for the experience or can we make a noise?
i think we win well tonight, a good start after a very flat game against saints, and go right on with it to launch us into the gold coast payback game and a genuine crack at week one of finals ...
hickey and mids dominate, forwards will have a big night ...
let's go!

Last edited:
No injuries
Lead at every change
Lead extends at every change
Players with question makes (Melican, McLean, Rowbottom etc) all perform

Please and thank you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't surprise me if this is a close-run game. Without Bud up front, Lloyd down back and who knows if Mills will play in the middle. Plus the replacements are all either young (Campbell/McLean) or haven't been able to get a decent run recently with injury (Melican). North are going alright and we've basically sewn up 6th spot (we can't fall and Brisbane in 5th are significantly ahead on %) so it wouldn't surprise me if it's a bit of a struggle tonight.

I'll be particularly interested to see how rebounding out of defence goes without Lloyd and who steps up to dominate that part of the ground. If this game meant more, I reckon they might shift Dawson there to handle it but because it isn't as cut-throat a result, maybe they'll stick with what we have there in McInerney, Rampe, Blakey. I suspect Campbell will play further up the ground on a wing/HF like what Stephens had been last week.

EDIT: Mills definitely not playing, my mistake

Last edited:
having our place in the finals and ladder position guaranteed is such a fantastic result.
having two games to fine tune for the finals is such a fantastic opportunity
I suspect, if our place in the finals was on the line, all of Mills, Buddy and Lloyd would be a good chance of playing. Good to have the opportunity to rest them. Great to see Campbell and Melican back
Swans by 6 goals

Great and unexpected season by all concerned! The boys have played out of their skins mostly with a few random dips in form (pretty much what you expect from extreme youth), and the coaches and staff have done a marvellous job to support them!

A win would be great, no injuries...perfect!

Swans by 42

GO BLOODS!

No injuries
Lead at every change
Lead extends at every change
Players with question makes (Melican, McLean, Rowbottom etc) all perform

Please and thank you
Nicely ordered, I'll have the same please!!

Dead rubber for us North are playing top 8 quality football expecting Larkey to kick a bag.

Please no injuries
True, but all players (who have played reserves at some point this year) should be looking over their shoulders to hold a spot in a finals team that can put 4 quarters of pressure on the opposition which is what is required to win a final let alone 4. Many failed last week. Some are already out, & there will be more to follow with this final test against the bottom team. No way we lose this if we are a serious finals threat. the dead rubber has come & gone against the Saints, now team selection for finals begins today.

Melican to my eye takes multiple weeks to get going once he's fit. He seems to need a stretch of games to find his form, confidence, fitness, or the combination of whatever it is that makes him play well. Not sure how many weeks he's played in a row at VFL level scratch match level.

I hope I'm proven wrong tonight and he plays a strong game like he did last time we saw him against Geelong marked up on Jeremy Cameron. If he plays a cracker I can absolutely see him retaining his spot next week and in finals at the expense of Fox (as unfair on Fox as that would be).

Don't forget some of our fringe players in this game and next will feel like they're playing for their places in the team or even their careers, so don't be surprised if Melican or McLean or someone else plays a blinder.
I'm in two minds - are we in relax mode because we have made the final 8 or as you said we have something to prove?

Bloods by 31 points

#GoBloods #bloods #ProudlySydney

I am fully expecting the fringe players (McLean, Melican, Campbell and even Wicks) to put in blinders today. That should be enough of a booster to inspire the rest of the boys to lift in a game that essentially amounts to a dead rubber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back