Past George Hewett - free agent to Carlton, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

zQRnVjAT.jpg

George Hewett

George Hewett is regularly praised in the media by his teammates and coach John Longmire for his steadfast reliability. Regardless of whether the 2013 draftee is tasked with winning the footy or blanketing a ball magnet, he has the full trust of the Sydney Swans camp. Dustin Martin, Patrick Cripps and Shaun Higgins are just some of the gun midfielders Hewett has shut down in his unheralded career as a Swan. The South Australian carved out a career-best season in 2019 en route to finishing second in the Bob Skilton Medal voting, joining star duo Dane Rampe and Luke Parker on the podium.

George Hewett
DOB: 29 December 1995
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #32, 2013 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Broughton-Mundoora (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

I truly doubt Carlton will let George front a camera again. Shows you do not have to be an orator to play footy with the great intelligence as George always did with us.

Cicero would make a great inside mid.

Cicero would make a great inside mid.

For any Carlton fans reading this.

Cicero was a senator in ancent rome and considered a fantastic orator.

For any Carlton fans reading this.

Cicero was a senator in ancent rome and considered a fantastic orator.

An orator is someone who is a skilled public speaker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This might be weird but I'm more excited for Hewett now that he's playing at another club and hopefully in his preferred/most suited position. I just didn't think he could reach his ceiling at the swans but he has more opportunity to do so at Carlton. Weird feeling but I'm excited to follow him next season.

Imo the move of Mills into the mids was the biggest blow to Hewett mid opportunities rather than Parker/JPK.

This might be weird but I'm more excited for Hewett now that he's playing at another club and hopefully in his preferred/most suited position. I just didn't think he could reach his ceiling at the swans but he has more opportunity to do so at Carlton. Weird feeling but I'm excited to follow him next season.

Imo the move of Mills into the mids was the biggest blow to Hewett mid opportunities rather than Parker/JPK.
Ask any good player. Their preferred position will always be the position where they can make the maximum contribution to their team. They trust a good coach to know that position that is. A team doesn't work if everyone just plays where they feel like it. My coach told me this when I kept sneaking forward as a kid, eager to kick me a bag to impress my Dad.

As much as I don't like him leaving , he has been very professional even after we were shopping him around last year and this trade period. I am also pleased the Swans let him go without any drama and they didn't suddenly throw in an updated contract at him or try and push for a high pick and leave him hanging until the end like Clark and Ladhams.

George joining the rest of the Blues in shaving his hair to support Sam Docherty in his cancer treatment. Class act on and off the field.

5603423E-E540-49B3-B55A-EDF80ADA1C68.jpeg

George will flourish under Voss' coaching.

And Brian Cook is a superb club executive, as he showed at Geelong.

So look out for Carlton next year. George has landed on his feet.

By contrast, 2022 will be a long year for Swans supporters.

George will flourish under Voss' coaching.

And Brian Cook is a superb club executive, as he showed at Geelong.

So look out for Carlton next year. George has landed on his feet.

By contrast, 2022 will be a long year for Swans supporters.
Dafuq, you a Carlton supporter?

I like Hewett as much as the next guy, but Carlton hasn't shown any signs of being a great team, new coaches need patience 90% of the time. Very rare that a new coach takes a team from nowhere to somewhere.

If Voss has any brains he will team Hewett up with Walsh as their key midfield pair. None of this tagging shite. What Carlton need are some clever ball users getting their hands on it and making good things happen, rather than over-rated top draft picks who still haven't moved on from when they were world-beaters in the U18s running around like headless chooks.

Hewett goes into Carlton's midfield as their cleanest ball user (I used the eye test on this, but numbers in kicking efficiency and overall disposal efficiency back this up - for the Stats Gestapo.) Hopefully they don't make the same mistake that we made of under-valuing the importance of the basics out of the centre. I would love to see him fulfil his potential as he joins an illustrious group, including Gawn, Pendlebury, Mundy, Will Phillips and Hanners as non-Swans whose individual success I am now personally invested in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back