Live Event 2021 AFL National Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Where does all this leave Jackson Callow?
Most would say as our long-term FB.

I'd say, as good as Kozi was in the fwd-line this year, I'd suspect he will end up as our FB and Callow as the FF.

Either way, Callow will now have a few years to prove he is a premiership-quality KPP.

Last edited:
Does anyone know whether all list spots now filled, or is there room for an SSP?

Getting Ned Long is awesome!, but I'm still hopeful Ronald Fejo Jr gets a shot.
We have made room.

We have made room.
Exactly why the preseason draft was so damn short, everyone is super keen to keep list spots open.

~12 clubs took the single pick, with 9 of the first 18 just being re-rookies and only 10 of the 23 selected actually being new to the AFL system.

Last edited:
I tend to agree. Our list still definitely has holes in it but I'm really optimistic about a finish in the 6-12 range

I mean we could, but we’re also every chance to finish bottom three…and would it be the worst result in the long run? Every side needs a proper rebuild. One more good run at the draft and let’s have at it.

Fox Footy WTF - how do some people keep their job?
What are you taking about?

It shouldn’t be surprising to see a Sam Mitchell led side have a bit of edge about it and that’s what the Hawks did on Thursday night, playing a slightly antagonistic role to both Carlton and Essendon, who were interested in MacDonald and Serong respectively.

Some savvy pick swaps saw the Hawks leapfrog both the Blues and the Bombers to pick up those two and leave their AFL rivals on the back foot.

I like the idea of having another Condon on the list.
I loved watching Anthony as a kid back in the 90s.
Alex has accepted a basketball scholarship with AIS
Highly unlikely that he’ll play footy again
Very good chance he’ll make it to US

An even chance to be worse next year than this?
Odds on you're wrong.
We just turned over literally half our list in the last 12 months replacing almost all of them with kids, and are bringing in a new coach with new game plan that will take time to gel.

On the positive side we have senior players returning and the league outside the top few clubs, has never been as even as it is now. It could really go both ways.

I’m as hopeful as anyone here but I won’t be too disappointed either if we do finish bottom 3. It’s part of the process.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How would we rate our draft period out of 10?

no idea but im excited by all of them. cant help but think Sam has asked for a new midfield & we can see what traits he wanted to marry up with gameplan.

if next year is ugly theres a guy called Warlord or something who goes ok

8.5/10

We just turned over literally half our list in the last 12 months replacing almost all of them with kids, and are bringing in a new coach with new game plan that will take time to gel.

On the positive side we have senior players returning and the league outside the top few clubs, has never been as even as it is now. It could really go both ways.

I’m as hopeful as anyone here but I won’t be too disappointed either if we do finish bottom 3. It’s part of the process.
The new coach with new on-field focus, the return of senior players that weren't available in 2020/21 & the rise of our youngsters is why 2022 we'll be better next year than this, IMO.

Not too many of the players we've lost were regular contributors or players we wanted to be playing. I'm sure we'll miss them around the Club, but not on-field of a weekend.

The new coach with new on-field focus, the return of senior players that weren't available in 2020/21 & the rise of our youngsters is why 2022 we'll be better next year than this, IMO.

Not too many of the players we've lost were regular contributors or players we wanted to be playing. I'm sure we'll miss them around the Club, but not on-field of a weekend.
What teams wont improve? Or stagnant
I mean we could, but we’re also every chance to finish bottom three…and would it be the worst result in the long run? Every side needs a proper rebuild. One more good run at the draft and let’s have at it.
What teams wont improve? Or stagnant from this year? I think North will win a few more games. Adelaide are on the improve. An extra year of the suns developers could see them rise.... we could very well stagnant which may see us bottom 3....

What teams wont improve? Or stagnant from this year? I think North will win a few more games. Adelaide are on the improve. An extra year of the suns developers could see them rise.... we could very well stagnant which may see us bottom 3....
Eagles,Cats,GWS will slide
Tigers,Saints will Stagnate
Pies will be lucky to hit the scoreboard next year

I'll be surprised if Adelaide, Gold Coast and Collingwood aren't occupying bottom 4 positions.

For the record, I predicted an 8 win season for us in 2021. We finished with 7 and 2 draws (so 8 wins on points).

Next year with a new game plan, kids being blooded and the return of some stars, we should be aiming for 8 wins at a minimum. I'm looking for us to have a 9 win season and finish around 12th. If we are bold in next years trade period and draft and set a nice platform with consistent performances in 2022 then it isn't unrealistic to be thinking a finals push can start from 2023 onwards.

I hope you’re correct but history shows that there is always an adjustment that comes with significant change, and the changes will be significant.

Sam’s been given the keys to play the long game and take as much time as needed, so with a focus on 3-5 years away, I wouldn’t be surprised to see us take a step back to go forward. As long as we can see what we’re building, I’ll be happy.

Wet Coat
Saints
Geelong
Suns
GilWS

Other clubs will improve at a slower rate (Adelaide, Footscray, maybe Collingwood & Richmond, both of whom could slide).

We have the most scope for organic improvement on account of who we getting back, the development of young players in 2021 & the coaching change we've made.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back