Live Event 2021 AFL National Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at all the players taken, seems we prioritised mids with elite running power or explosive athletes that can all go forward and kick goals. What stood out though is character/leadership seems really strong this year with insane work ethics a priority. (Callow, Downie and bramble quite Similiar to for running power and work ethic)

The work ethic side is the part that would heavily derisk the player meeting their potential. Also Sam has managed to remove a few of these with a lack of work ethic. Should mean pre season is seriously competitive.

I can’t think of a better time to be a first or second year mid, new gameplan, new coach, means everyone is starting from the same square - only box hill players potentially having a slight advantage and all senior mids have been put on notice because 3 coming in will likely be able to do the full pre season from day 1.

I think we will brain sides off the half back, it’s our standout strength, and Sam will want us to be far more direct and attacking.

See the Giants game with CJ, Scrim, Day, DGB and Bramble all playing their first game together, only we’ll have Sicily back and Gunston, Lewis and Kosi forward of the ball with Brockman, Moore and Butler causing havoc.

We won 7 games and drew twice in 2021 with a game plan that got torn up at the bye.

Winning 6 games would be a fail.
I think it’ll be closer to 9 but who knows!! Injuries, the draw, how much teams around us improve… so many factors. Put it this way, I’d rather see us just be competitive most games and play a good brand of football. Our list still needs work and I’m not sure winning 10+ games is in our best interest unless those wins are driven by the development of our younger players.

Round 1 you will need Frost for Buddy
Yep I think your right.

And I think Frost might be a bit of a horses for courses player whereby he needs the right match up to be guaranteed a game. It will be a good sign for our sides development and for the state of our injuries if Frost isn't getting games.

The other factor in his selection is where Sic plays. Does he go forward...would be great to see him play a season in the fwd half channeling Dermie.

Hartigan a lock for mine as the no.1 key defender. Very good with the younguns too is valued for that.

half the best 22 are already young. How much is enough?

should Sicily and impey at 25-26 be cooling their jets too? What are we teaching the kids? Winning isn’t important?
Not saying we aren’t going out there to win. Or that we don’t play older players. But there can be a difference in how you play them despite having the same number of younger players.

Like I’d like to see Ward get centre bounce time. As well as Butler and MacDonald when they play. Split some of Mitchell and JOM’s time to give them a good go.

Rather than them just playing on a flank all game. It’s not we don’t play older players but we use them to support the younger kids and try to develop them.

Rather than go all in on our older players. I see next year as a development year. Especially as the new draftees haven’t played much due to Covid.

Wow just wow, Sicily can and has played as a lockdown defender he's not just some intercept defender that plays loose, you sound like oppistion fans that always tried to downplay Gibson or simply couldn't grasp his role.

No, not at all. I'm not saying either player can't do those things. I'm offering up what their major strengths are and why they offer something different to our line up.

They absolutely can and will play in the same side for the majority of the season next year.

All that is true, but I would bet that Sam won’t be playing Tom, JOM, Hartigan and Gunston at Box Hill. As they’re the real “backbone” of the side particularly in their parts of the ground.

It’s more likely players like Phillips, Howe, Shiels and possibly even McEvoy and Frost get pushed to the side for the development of youngsters like Ward, Downie, Mitchell, MacDonald, DGB etc.
I don’t disagree at all, but a team with a strong core of kids say 5-7 players in their first or second season will struggle, and therefore shouldn’t be judged on win / loss.

How selfish ? Does he know we may need him at the Hawks ?
Geez….some kids don’t realize how lucky they are
Haha. Id love him at the Hawks.
He’s a great kid. If he makes it to US (highly likely) then he’s def made the right choice.

His dad is mad Pies & we have an ongoing dinner bet that started 2011 prelim.
Fair to say I’m in front by a little

I don’t disagree at all, but a team with a strong core of kids say 5-7 players in their first or second season will struggle, and therefore shouldn’t be judged on win / loss.
The new kids will play in the peripheral roles, but the one thing that will put us in good stead is that the other “kids” are 3-4 years into their career now, so they will not be push overs.

We got beaten by a lot of teams that people are expecting that we’ll be clearly above next year. Most of our wins post bye were against finals sides who may take us a bit more seriously next time. And if a top 2 pick is a chance we may not have the Clarko led late season surge next year.

I get the optimism - it’s preseason after all - but the can’t scrub from my mind how bad we looked at times this year. And whatever tactical changes we made post bye will likely been picked apart over summer by opposition coaches.

Clarko also rocked out pretty senior lineups most weeks. Mitchell probably going to make some changes to team and gameplan so cohesion may drop.

Prefer to keep expectations low and potentially outperform.

I would prefer Frost over Hartigan as a player everyday of the week!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Prefer neither if we had the option. A key part of the dees and Richmond’s success is having a backline and key backs that don’t need support allowing the mids to run forward aggressively knowing if it’s turned over the backs still have a chance. It’s also why Lake made such a difference - we didn’t have to throw numbers at contests deep as Lake was rarely beaten (and often just marked it).

DGB is part of the future but another elite tall back would really set us up. We have the attacking flankers but if are continually required deep as support their impact is blunted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no idea but im excited by all of them. cant help but think Sam has asked for a new midfield & we can see what traits he wanted to marry up with gameplan.

if next year is ugly theres a guy called Warlord or something who goes ok

8.5/10

If someone was called Warlord we'd have to draft him on name alone. I don't care how good he is, Warlord starts in the middle round 1.

If someone was called Warlord we'd have to draft him on name alone. I don't care how good he is, Warlord starts in the middle round 1.
Keep your eyes and ears open for any player called Mars, warlords only last so long, would rather the God of war in the middle

Last edited:
We got beaten by a lot of teams that people are expecting that we’ll be clearly above next year. Most of our wins post bye were against finals sides who may take us a bit more seriously next time. And if a top 2 pick is a chance we may not have the Clarko led late season surge next year.

I get the optimism - it’s preseason after all - but the can’t scrub from my mind how bad we looked at times this year. And whatever tactical changes we made post bye will likely been picked apart over summer by opposition coaches.

Clarko also rocked out pretty senior lineups most weeks. Mitchell probably going to make some changes to team and gameplan so cohesion may drop.

Prefer to keep expectations low and potentially outperform.

Just keep "expectations" realistic. However, Melbourne (17th to Premiers in 2 years), Richmond (13th to Premiers in 1 season), Western Bulldogs (14th to Premiers in 2 years) have demonstrated how quickly you can rise up the ladder if you keep doing the right things.

I really hope we go for Ned Long with 26, purely for sentimental reasons. Ward and Long played at the same junior footy club, which also happens to be the same club both of my offspring play for. My 16 year old is the same year level (although not the same team) as Josh's younger brother. We were all delighted here when Josh's name was called out for Hawthorn (we would have been delighted anyway, but it was extra special!)
Even better Rookie pick, that's crazy

Fox Footy WTF - how do some people keep their job?

It shouldn’t be surprising to see a Sam Mitchell led side have a bit of edge about it and that’s what the Hawks did on Thursday night, playing a slightly antagonistic role to both Carlton and Essendon, who were interested in MacDonald and Serong respectively.

Some savvy pick swaps saw the Hawks leapfrog both the Blues and the Bombers to pick up those two and leave their AFL rivals on the back foot.
What were the pick swaps. Nothing showing on AFL website.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back