Votes: 62 84.9%
  • England

Votes: 11 15.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smith but I thought he should have a crack at his off-spinners against the left handers.
He was bowling the leggies so when it hit the rough it would threaten the stumps rather than if he bowled his offies if anything hit the rough it would be way outside off.

Being at the game on day 5 I didn't think the light was even that bad for the 3rd last over but I'm not having to face up I suppose.

Correct.

This rule is interesting. Best explained by examples.

Let's say, on day 5 of a test, there are a minimum of 90 overs scheduled and stumps is due at 6pm (let's say this is the latest time stumps can be taken).

On the final say of a test match, there are a minimum of 75 overs scheduled, plus the minimum 15 in the last hour, on a typical non rain interrupted day.

When the "last hour" starts, depends on the state of play - I.e. how many overs have been bowled, and the time, but so as to allow the minimum number of overs to be bowled.

So for example, in the subcontinent, where a lot of spin may be bowled:
1. 90 overs minimum for the day
2. Stumps scheduled for 6pm

Because a lot of spin is bowled, the over rate is quick. So, let's say, at 5pm, 85 overs have been bowled. The last hour would commence at 5pm, and there would be either 15 overs bowled, OR stumps is taken at 6pm (Whatever comes later). Say at 6pm, only 12 overs of the 15 have been bowled, play continues to finish the final 3 overs. Conversely, say the 15 overs have been bowled at 550pm, you can squeeze in as many more overs as is possible before stumps is taken at 6pm.

Let's say we have an example where the pace bowlers are bowling in Australia, so the over rate is slow. Come 5pm, only 70 overs have been bowled. Remember we need to get a minimum of 90 for the day and the 'latest scheduled time for stumps' is 6pm.

The last hour does not start, because we need to bowl 90 for the day. So, once we reach 75 overs (say at 520pm), the last hour starts. We now have 15 overs remaining (which may take 1 hour, slightly more, slightly less - the time is now irrelevant. The 15 overs must be bowled). This is the SCG example the other day. Stumps was due at 6pm. But the minimum overs for the day was not going to be achieved by that time. Stumps ended up being about 640 or something like that.

This rule deters time wasting. There is little point wasting time in the last hour, because the batting side will face 15 overs. The only benefit of time wasting in the last hour is if there is:
1. Weather (rain around or bad light - which can see the spinners brought on, or if really bad, stumps called)
2. If you have a situation where more than 15 overs will be bowled in the final hour (e.g our subcontinent example above), where wasting time might help reduce an over or two AFTER the minimum 15 you have to face.

The 2008 India test at the SCG where Sharma came out with 2 left handed gloves is an example of futile time wasting, because there were a minimum number of overs that had to be bowled (the scheduled time for stumps had already passed and there was glorious sunshine- those last few overs were going to be bowled no matter what).

Sorry for the long post. But an interesting rule worth some examples.
Excuse my ignorance as I have not been following Cricket for a while but why do they still have the option to go off for bad light at grounds where there are light towers?
Why can't they just turn on the lights?
Is there something against the rules by turning them on?

Excuse my ignorance as I have not been following Cricket for a while but why do they still have the option to go off for bad light at grounds where there are light towers?
The umpires can ask for the lights to be turned on to assist. However, the umpires use light metres to take a reading of the light (generally at the beginning of the test - day 1 or 2 when there is poor light). If they determine the light is too poor for play to continue, they will go off until it iproves, or if it does not, it will be stumps.

That initial reading at which the light is deemed unfit for play is the baseline for the rest of the match. If the light falls below that threshold (even with the light towers on), the umpires will go off.

Obviously in day-night tests this is not an issue :)

The umpires can ask for the lights to be turned on to assist. However, the umpires use light metres to take a reading of the light (generally at the beginning of the test - day 1 or 2 when there is poor light). If they determine the light is too poor for play to continue, they will go off until it iproves, or if it does not, it will be stumps.

That initial reading at which the light is deemed unfit for play is the baseline for the rest of the match. If the light falls below that threshold (even with the light towers on), the umpires will go off.

Obviously in day-night tests this is not an issue :)
But they didn't go off.
They just made them bowl spin instead of pace....
Neither here nor there...

They do turn on the lights but when the light from the light tower takes over from the natural light, a red cricket ball gets like a tail on it when it is moving and you can't see it properly at speed. That's why they don't use a red ball in day-night matches.

Being at the game on day 5 I didn't think the light was even that bad for the 3rd last over but I'm not having to face up I suppose.
I wondered about that.
Didn't they have the lights on? If not, why not?
It didn't look dark on TV, but that's no real sign because they can adjust the cameras' exposures. You were there.

Also, I thought if the quicks were on, they'd be instructed to keep the ball up; no bouncers or Game Over ...?

I wondered about that.
Didn't they have the lights on? If not, why not?
It didn't look dark on TV, but that's no real sign because they can adjust the cameras' exposures. You were there.

Also, I thought if the quicks were on, they'd be instructed to keep the ball up; no bouncers or Game Over ...?
The lights were on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They do turn on the lights but when the light from the light tower takes over from the natural light, a red cricket ball gets like a tail on it when it is moving and you can't see it properly at speed. That's why they don't use a red ball in day-night matches.
Is this a verifiable fact?

Why can't they switch it then and keep the lights on.

Why can't they switch it then and keep the lights on.
Because a pink ball behaves fundamentally different to a red one. There would be a level of unfairness to it if one team gets to use a different ball.

Because a pink ball behaves fundamentally different to a red one. There would be a level of unfairness to it if one team gets to use a different ball.
Scientists have also tried to squash the theory that the pink ball swings more than the red. This action would most definitely favour the bowlers, especially James Anderson who has often been dubbed the ‘King of Swing (bowling)’.

I love Ed Cowan's suggestion to move Labuschagne up to open in place of Harris, with everyone else shifting up one spot to make room for Head at 5.

Labuschagne has the right temperament to open, and is pretty much already doing it with Harris often getting out early. He's a beautiful leaver.

Also means Smith doesn't have to wait as long to come in. He seems to play better when he comes in earlier with more responsibility to perform.

I love Ed Cowan's suggestion to move Labuschagne up to open in place of Harris, with everyone else shifting up one spot to make room for Head at 5.

Labuschagne has the right temperament to open, and is pretty much already doing it with Harris often getting out early. He's a beautiful leaver.

Also means Smith doesn't have to wait as long to come in. He seems to play better when he comes in earlier with more responsibility to perform.
Kahawaja is capable as opener if Lab's doesn't want to move up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back