Training Pre Season 21/22

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL website had an article the other day on who's doing well from each club and RCD and Prestia were the ones highlighted.

Hopefully that's a good sign.

Anyone seen any pics of him this pre-season? Has he bulked up at all? Or at least gotten that lean definition that the Tiges seem to prefer?

I do like RCD. I think as a kid he was a very good ball winner / distributor. Good hands and able to dish the ball out. He's had a number of development years and should be coming into his own this year.

Anyone seen any pics of him this pre-season? Has he bulked up at all? Or at least gotten that lean definition that the Tiges seem to prefer?

I do like RCD. I think as a kid he was a very good ball winner / distributor. Good hands and able to dish the ball out. He's had a number of development years and should be coming into his own this year.
Still remember him streaming downfield and kicking two long bomb goals on the 19 VFL gf. He has a few strings to his bow, can play inside and outside. Hoping for good things from him this year.

And how many positions were open for Garth or any tall for that matter compared to a mid in a team?
Not to mention generally that unless your a highly gifted tall then they do take longer.
And its not the skill aspect that keeping RCD down.Its his endurance.
Now if Lambo can't get rcd into shape then he's goneski.
Firstly Garth & RCD are both the same height
2nd as you mentioned its not skill thats keeping RCD out - We knew that he would take time due to this
Regarding Lambo getting him ready - Not going to happen over night and due to covid nothing has been easy on the new kids
and that has alot to do with his ability to transition to AFL without extended games.

Midfield of Cotchin , Martin , Bolton , Graham , Lambert , Prestia , Edwards was never going to be an easy get for a kid and he is not the only player thats had limited chances last 2 years just about every single young mid apart from Graham has had limited chances last 2-3 years

Kid has 2 more years imo

This year is a transition from our old 2017-20 style to a new modified style, at the same time as we are transitioning from Cotch et al to our younger guys. RCD is central to whether we have a smooth transition. Because he offers us that inside grunt and outside burst power + some genuine skilled quality. But alongside him we do have Martyn and Ross at the minimum for inside mids this year.

If we get this right and our younger guys step up and our new game style (we can't play the same crap as last year with SHocking's rules) then we will go top 4 and have a genuine shot at the title. Explicitly, if we can get control of contested situations and force pressure on the opposition then we will do very very well in 2022. And I reckon we need RCD etc to take a heap of that load.

2nd as you mentioned its not skill thats keeping RCD out - We knew that he would take time due to this
Regarding Lambo getting him ready - Not going to happen over night and due to covid nothing has been easy on the new kids
and that has alot to do with his ability to transition to AFL without extended games.

Midfield of Cotchin , Martin , Bolton , Graham , Lambert , Prestia , Edwards was never going to be an easy get for a kid and he is not the only player thats had limited chances last 2 years just about every single young mid apart from Graham has had limited chances last 2-3 years

Kid has 2 more years imo
If he hasn't improved his endurance by seasons then we might have too think of a new role or cut him.

I tend to think he's training there so he can learn the leading patterns etc for if he's needed there. If he is needed there at some point he's going to need to be ready for the change. A track watcher over at OER tells us F50 entries are a focus this summer (sure as hell we all know they need to be) so he's got to be across that if he wants to be able to play the role, again if he's req'd this yr. I could be wrong but that's how i'd guess we are planning his training. it'd make no sense to send him there if he's not trained with the other fwds re: how they want it all to work with leading, when to fly or not etc so they don't go spoiling each other.

Makes sense. I am not overly against Balta swinging forward and being an x-factor - i actually love coaching like that & it shitted me to tears watching last year while Stack played down back for so long. The second we moved him forward out fwd line had more bite. I don't think there is much hard in doing things like that across the board, especially in games where the result either way looks to be set. As we saw with Castagna & Rioli - keeping blokes in the same role for 4-5 years straight can have its problems too.

As always, the truth or "best scenario" tends to lie somewhere inbetween

Dusty and Prestia’s preseason heading in the right directions. Hoping to to hear some good performances from our newbies in the match simulations

The feedback from training all sounds pretty fantastic, especially that of Dion. 18 games over 2 years was a very concerning reality for his future years, but its sounding like his 1st full pre-season at punt road might be career changing. In saying that though, if he still goes down with a lower body injury despite that awesome pre-season - then we need to really be prepared for a decline.

Its also great to hear RCD is making a strong impression on the track - got to think he may have finally developed a tank. The other guy that i think. has a sneaky good chance of making a huge leap this season is KMac - sounds like he may have hit the elite level of being a 2 way runner, which will be a HUGE benefit to our wing concerns.

That was what killed us last year - not so much that so many top end players got injured, the problem was despite that none of our next tier players appeared to make the leap to fill the void. Our once incredibly deep list appeared to have a huge hole in the middle of it.

Last night i watched a replay of the 2019 Grand Final. Watching it I have no ******* idea how Marlion Pickett didn't translate to being a consistent clearance machine for us. I can't really remember, but last year when our midfield got decimated, did we play him on a wing or though the middle? I feel like he still spent most of his time on a wing, which seems crazy to watch that game and think he hasnt been used as a mid as much. The other observations i had was how dangerous Dan looked up forward, but also how useful Caddy was, even on the wing. Does anyone know where Caddy is at with training? ie mid, fwd group etc. Its hard to fathom that his career is where it is currently, especially since he hasn't really had a bad run with injuries etc

If he hasn't improved his endurance by seasons then we might have too think of a new role or cut him.
There is no way he won't improve his endurance, all players do, some take longer that's all. He made an impact in his games he just couldn't do the defensive running, not unusual for a late blooming big mid without natural endurance. Took Petracca until he was 23/24 until he really had the game to play midfield. He has been impressive at training, that must surely means he has improved his fitness, and they have been getting smashed evidently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cut to the chase.
How many years has RCD got left?
We've been pretty generous in terms of having him on the list.

Seriously?

RCD has already shown in <10 games that he's got all the tools to be the kind of clearance winning, hard tackling unit that good sides build their midfield around. Young inside mids with his already displayed level of talent and nouse are rare as hen's teeth.

He's still a work in progress - as we fully knew he would be when we selected him - simply because he's yet to develop a full-game, AFL level tank.

The kid has blatantly obvious elite talent.

Dusty and Prestia fit and ready for full contact preseason

Meatball is arguably the most important key to how we rebound this season, pumped to read he's had his best pre-season since joining us and very relieved to hear Dusty's progressing as well as can be expected. :thumbsu:

Player I’m most looking forward to stepping up is Stacky.
That last qtr performance v Dorks was bloody amazing and with a full uninterrupted, Covid free, distraction free pre season seriously reckon he can have a cracking year. His ball skills and agility around traffic is as good as anyone and providing he stays fit and fully committed, can’t see why he can’t have a break out year.
Odd stint around goals worth an option.

Agree with the points above re Prestia. Arguably our most important mid along with Cotchin in our flag years. Cotchin does all the tough things around the ball and Prestia's 2 way running (along with Lambert) is key to how we play...and how Dusty can be freed up.

So basically I'm looking forward to Prestia being fit for a full season, Cotch rejuvenated as he no longer has to worry about the captaincy, Stacky stepping up and becoming a full time gun playing alongside Bolton, RCD becoming an AFL player (has the talent), Lynchy staying fit and becoming one of the best KPF's in the comp, Gibcus playing games and showing glimpses of marking brilliance etc etc

Where do people think stacks gonna start this year?

I’m so excited for his year, think he can make it as an elite in any position
Think they might try him forward, with the occasional rotation wing/middle.
Don't think he yet has the motor to play middle/wing full time yet.

Kid has 2 more years imo

Easily two years. ******* Lemon, CEllis and Griffiths got forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The feedback from training all sounds pretty fantastic, especially that of Dion. 18 games over 2 years was a very concerning reality for his future years, but its sounding like his 1st full pre-season at punt road might be career changing. In saying that though, if he still goes down with a lower body injury despite that awesome pre-season - then we need to really be prepared for a decline.

Its also great to hear RCD is making a strong impression on the track - got to think he may have finally developed a tank. The other guy that i think. has a sneaky good chance of making a huge leap this season is KMac - sounds like he may have hit the elite level of being a 2 way runner, which will be a HUGE benefit to our wing concerns.

That was what killed us last year - not so much that so many top end players got injured, the problem was despite that none of our next tier players appeared to make the leap to fill the void. Our once incredibly deep list appeared to have a huge hole in the middle of it.

Last night i watched a replay of the 2019 Grand Final. Watching it I have no ******* idea how Marlion Pickett didn't translate to being a consistent clearance machine for us. I can't really remember, but last year when our midfield got decimated, did we play him on a wing or though the middle? I feel like he still spent most of his time on a wing, which seems crazy to watch that game and think he hasnt been used as a mid as much. The other observations i had was how dangerous Dan looked up forward, but also how useful Caddy was, even on the wing. Does anyone know where Caddy is at with training? ie mid, fwd group etc. Its hard to fathom that his career is where it is currently, especially since he hasn't really had a bad run with injuries etc
FWIW Prestia has already had 1 full pre season with us, the result was winning the B&F in a premiership year. Caddy i believe has been training fwd as has Stack (according to Caesars reports on PRE & a track watcher on OER). As for Caddy i never really understood why we took him out of the fwd line aside from seemingly preferring a 3rd fwd that can ruck once we got Lynch across.

He's been training fwd i believe so i'd say there. FWIW this is also his 1st proper pre season.
Yeah I know it’s his first pre season, that’s why I’m so excited for him this year
Reckon he’s gonna shine big time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back