Autopsy I swear there was a patch of footy where we hit like 8 short kicks in a row in the third quarter - Autopsy vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

And right on cue, the knee jerk reactions calling for everyone from the coach to the canteen ladies to be sacked. Did people seriously see no positive signs in this game? In a game without our best rebounder, three of our best midfielders, and our best key defender? Some of you need to look up the definition of rebuild. And maybe tack on a 'hardcore' at the front of the search bar for good measure

It’s wilful.

Everything is bad and always will be.

Powell doesn’t make sense unless he is ‘being managed’.
Managed seems right to me too. Here's a bloke whose body let him down last season / wasn't ready for consistent afl level footy. Perhaps we learnt the lesson and we are wearing the pain of not playing him for full minites in games at afl intensity for the longer term benefit of the Club. I'd still keep him in the senior team on managed minutes. He's definitely good enough. His 63% tog was better value than a handful of others today.

A few observations:

We were competitive for 2 and a half qtr but still lost by 70,
Didn't take out chances when they were there, should have kicked at least 5 more goals.
Some of the personnel are not good enough but that's all we got at the moment, Atu, Mahoney, Taylor, Hayden, etc.
Then Senior players with terrible foot skills, Tuner, Lmac, Walker, etc.
Unpopular opinion I'm sure, but i don't think we lose much at all if anything by having Jed play instead of Simpkin.

Goldy was decent, and even great in patches.
LDU can certainly play.
CZ just keeps putting in.
I like what i see from Curtis, didn't get much, but i think we have one there.

we still have issues getting the ball, both contested and on the outside, and once we do we have issues on the half forward line.

I thought we were better, which is strange since the scoreboard didn't reflect that.
Can u give me your opinion on our skipper ?
Because apart from making the odd BS media appearance during the week & tossing the coin at the start of the game ….
What else does this mother farker campaigner give us ?!!!
Look at the example he gives to our up & coming kids ?!
Jack Z you are Passed it 3 times over mate , If u love our club , regard yourself as a Shinboner and as you say would do anything for this club …..
Then walk yourself out as skipper Monday …please .
Apart from Noble …. You are the next infection at our club .

And right on cue, the knee jerk reactions calling for everyone from the coach to the canteen ladies to be sacked. Did people seriously see no positive signs in this game? In a game without our best rebounder, three of our best midfielders, and our best key defender? Some of you need to look up the definition of rebuild. And maybe tack on a 'hardcore' at the front of the search bar for good measure

Genuinely curious, what were the positive signs you noticed during the game?.

People need to calm doen ffs - i think tehre were some positive signs today that we can build on. We dont have a forward line - Larkey works hard but is frustrated and adds nothing. Yes the kicking in not great but he had his chances. We look better with Anderson tehre who was better than last week. Atu not sure what we are trying to get from him he is lost. Thomas disappointing. mcDonald disappointing, thought Yound did well but needs to cut his errors out of his game. Scott ok, Corr poor again, Stevo terrible, Mahoney terrible, Goldy improved, LDY good.
Hold on … who the * is this Errol ?!
Or Is this a Noble early presser ?

Let's start with our 200+ game, 5+ years club captain. I love the man for his passion and endeavour....

...but when he missed targets by 10m what kind of standard is that

The kick to Allir who 10 metres on his own was …..I haven’t got words……

Felt pretty confident with Hayden down back going to a loose ball - but more than Atu, Walker and Corr

Played alright today I reckon, he’s getting better. Not getting caught as often, not making mistakes as often and giving away frees, managing to connect his disposals to the desired target more often. There’s clear improvement there, its not explosive or game-breaking but its there. I feel the same way about Scott and yet people here say he’s terrible.

Hayden needs a good clear run of it, never has had one Without injury stopping it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We played solid competitive football for a half today, but that first quarter was shocking and the final quarter was worse.

Ziebell needs to be dropped he has been deplorable for five weeks.
Mahony needs to be dropped he looks bereft of confidence.
Corr looks to have lost his confidence as well, but I'm not sure we can afford to drop him with McKay out.

Turner may not be our most skillful player, but he is the most competitive and combative player. Hard to drop him when he gives 110% every game.
LDU played a great game, but it was a bit of a lone hand.
Anderson was better and should improve ever further in the coming weeks, but we looked very thin in the middle.
Powell looked great whenever he touched the ball, hopefully he stays in and gets a run of games so we can see what he has to offer in the future.

Young does looks okay most of the time, but every game he throws in one or two absolute howlers that cost us goals. He is fearless and worth persisting with, but he needs to learn not to make those lazy plays in the defensive 50. If he is still doing it regularly at the end of the season he may no longer have a career in the AFL.

Not sure what to do with Stephenson, the guy is a talent, but I feel he isn't confident in his abilities at the moment. If he played with the commitment and determination of Turner, he would be a superstar, but I fear he maybe another wasted talent.

And our forwards need to partake in some goal kicking practice, too many easy goals missed.

Last edited:
It's pretty damning when a showing this poor is still our best of the last five weeks - effort was broadly there for more than half the game, still nowhere near enough of it but we were able to keep relative parity with them when the team as a whole committed to applying pressure and generating turnovers. Of course, that only meant that when we did create the turnover, we had no clue what to do with it, and usually ended up kicking to their spare defender, or handballing to teammates under more pressure than the ball-carrier and thus clogging ourselves up when we had players loose, or just blazing away to open space because there's no-one available in a good spot.

We did better than that a couple of times - made sideways options if we didn't have anyone forward, short kicking to leading targets, a few things like that which showed a glimmer of a pulse after a month of flatlining. But, in addition to some poor decisions made in attack, our structures were just as exposed defensively the moment our effort slackened even a little: we still don't show any signs of being able to guard against our own turnovers, which should really be the cornerstone of any gameplan that encourages us to attack through the corridor, and as a result the back six never seemed to be in great shape.

Flickers of encouragement, but ultimately this was just yet another 50+-point belting, in a home game, against (on exposed form) a fairly mediocre side. Not helped by the loss of three of our core midfielders this season before the game, but I also didn't think that was the main source of our problems today. What we demonstrated for the second and third quarters was basically the minimum benchmark for a competent football side - a couple of errors but consistent effort allowing us to absorb enough opposition pressure to break even - and that needs to be a given for the rest of the season.

Genuinely curious, what were the positive signs you noticed during the game?.
The fact that we fully matched a prelim final team from last year for half a game sticks out to me. Few moments where the gameplan came together and we actually transitioned the ball without a skill error. LDU showing the ridiculousness of the people calling for him to be traded. Zurhaar seems to be back in form even if he's a selfish w***er some of the time. Powell had several moments of quality. A lowering of expectations on this board is in order methinks. We seem to want the above every quarter. Yea well tough t***ies, that's not how being s**t works

Jack “I’m about actions, not talk” Ziebell, 11 disposals (3 turnovers) 2 tackles. Leading from the front again skip!.

There’s absolutely no desire form any of them to have the ball in their hands. None of the mids work hard enough to get enough of the pill. Piss poor football team.

We’ll be 20 goals down at half time next week, and that’s with the Demons in first gear.
JZ needs a couple of weeks off to think about whether he wants to continue to lead this team.

Sits in the forward pocket doing sfa, not laying tackles, not kicking goals, not doing anything at all - the game has well and truly past him by.

This team needs some real leadership and it hasn't come consistently from JZ for years now.

There's a reason the game plan was questioned. When we bring it fast through the corridor, as per the game plan, Nobles' defensive press hamstrings our movement.

Port turn it over, we break fast through the corridor.

screen-20220514-165529_exported_965.jpg

Larkey has no one ahead of the footy. So he kicks to Ziebell on the wing (bottom of screen) who holds play up so Larkey can get down there. No time to hook lead so a fast break results in Ziebell bombing it to Larkey in the F50.

screen-20220514-165529_exported_4301.jpg

There’s plenty of positives, but the negatives are a massive concern.
-Basic skills are a massive worry.
-Lack of intensity another huge concern.....some blokes look deadset frightened.
-How can we be that far off fitness wise
-Positional set ups and match ups?

When we get the game, or minutes of the game, on our terms, we can look electric.

We've killed the crowd for next week. If was Gaso or Spider et al l really wouldn't bother.

May 21st will be rock bottom.

Mate, I'm actually coming down this week. 1st game since Round 1.

I'll be outside gate 3 at 3.30 if you all want to catch up. I'd love to see all you BF boys and girls. You can then line up and take turns kicking me in the balls cos that is going to be less painful than watching the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back