Review Freo Drowned in GC by Suns - Rd 9 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this game and the St Kilda game show up our biggest glaring weakness, the talent up forward. We dont have the depth or talent up there (yet, need years/miles into Amiss and co) to cover 3 first choice picks out or other parts of the team being off. This is compounded when 3 of the ones playing are coming off a COVID break, Switta and Walters are some of the few that can create goals, not just off pressure but with talent.

Fast ball movement goes a long way to covering up poor talent up forward.

For that reason, I will blame the coaches picking Banfield because it’s maddening. For the love God give Sturt a go

Though I’m not in the “we are s**t and won’t make finals” camp of dismay, that was still a shocking effort from us. Being that this is a winter sport, our wet weather game needs to improve and improve quickly. Our leaders didn’t stand up today.

Pearce, Mundy, Brayshaw, Serong- all very forgettable.

Treacy needs to start clunking some marks and kicking goals. We can’t carry forwards in the side based solely on the fact that they lay a hard tackle.

Gold Coast are a halfway decent side and this game suited them perfectly especially seeing as our blokes couldn’t adapt to the conditions.

Need to bounce back next week.

Everyone knows what happens when Blake Acres has a kick. Ball is going to have at least 30 metres elevation.
All of Blake’s kicks, on all occasions in all conditions go high to a contest.

I’m not disagreeing. Get it in quickly, bring it to ground, lock it in and grind. Not hard.

Problem was we couldn’t for the life of us compete in the air up forward. The spoils were 20-25m spoils.

Plus credit to GC to pressure us backwards.

All of that said, that simply wasn’t our brand.
Those forward spoils are underrated. Completely upset the zone and method, by forcing the ball back over the wall.

Bad day at the office. Thought to myself wet weather doesn't suit our style, I even said it in a post perhaps yesterday (?), but it proved to be the case. Not J-Lo's favourite conditions for sure, but just didn't learn from it - too much "pretty handball" attempts through the corridor, spent before we'd earnt it, lots of fumbly hands today.....horrid watching. Congrats Neil on your first goal - gotta look for the positives. Was pretty ineffective after that...

Credit to Gold Coast, they pressured us heavily knowing the conditions split it 50/50 and got clean entry off their inside 50s to score....we just couldn't gather any momentum after quarter time and resorted to dumping and hacking the ball in long hoping for the best. When Lobb isn't complimented by either Tabs or a better partner, he's easily double-teamed and neutralised. He wasn't our worst but he had minimal impact on the game because of the deliveries. Both he and Treacy seemed to have no chemistry and got in each other's way...Treacy tries hard, but his impact on games at the mo, unless the opposition are meeker like a North, is very limited. Cox's move forward - resulting in that very gettable set-shot muck up - summed us up, we were just off. Stinky off, like discarded offal.

I thought Clark, Banfield, Aish, Tucker and Treacy especially poor today, in fact I feel Banfield and Tucker are especially weak links in the team right now; either could be dropped for someone else for mine, especially Bailey - he's like a cat with 9 lives! Aside Brodie, Logue and a handful others we just looked out of sorts across the board, falling over each other, dropping uncontested marks and fumble-heaven. Eyebleed sort of stuff.

Difficult loss to digest - I feel the deck is dry and it's a different sort of game. The psychology of AFL seems to get to us when it's wet, we are our own worst enemies and handle it poorly. A loss is a loss though.

Meh, it was going to happen sooner or later.

If you'd told me 7-2 wins after 9 rounds heading into Round 10 before the season had started I'd say "start the effing car!", it was an insipid, uninspiring, ugly performance and miserable loss; but...it's not the end of the world. It's only the 2nd loss for the year, so the key now is to bounce right back get on that wagon and get ready for Collingwood. Because beyond that - it's getting a bit higher in the temperature stakes.

Metricon is our new Marvel. Utter bogey ground.

Shout out to D. King, the most anti-Freo commentator going...his bias is utter putrid. He can suck a big bag of rotten North d***s. He gets anymore gigs on our games and I'm muting the sound and sticking headphones in with some tunes on the pump......man's a complete codslap. Go and take your face for a sh*t!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was one of the worst performances from a Freo team ever.

In fact, the whole team were so inexplicably bad that I'm willing to write it off as an aberration.

Burn the tape and let us never speak of this game again.
You've blocked out a helluva lot of our footy. I don't blame you.

Bad day at the office. Thought to myself wet weather doesn't suit our style, I even said it in a post perhaps yesterday (?), but it proved to be the case. Not J-Lo's favourite conditions for sure, but just didn't learn from it - too much "pretty handball" attempts through the corridor, spent before we'd earnt it, lots of fumbly hands today.....horrid watching. Congrats Neil on your first goal - gotta look for the positives. Was pretty ineffective after that...

Credit to Gold Coast, they pressured us heavily knowing the conditions split it 50/50 and got clean entry off their inside 50s to score....we just couldn't gather any momentum after quarter time and resorted to dumping and hacking the ball in long hoping for the best. When Lobb isn't complimented by either Tabs or a better partner, he's easily double-teamed and neutralised. He wasn't our worst but he had minimal impact on the game because of the deliveries. Both he and Treacy seemed to have no chemistry and got in each other's way...Treacy tries hard, but his impact on games at the mo, unless the opposition are meeker like a North, is very limited. Cox's move forward - resulting in that very gettable set-shot muck up - summed us up, we were just off. Stinky off, like discarded offal.

I thought Clark, Banfield, Aish, Tucker and Treacy especially poor today, in fact I feel Banfield and Tucker are especially weak links in the team right now; either could be dropped for someone else for mine, especially Bailey - he's like a cat with 9 lives! Aside Brodie, Logue and a handful others we just looked out of sorts across the board, falling over each other, dropping uncontested marks and fumble-heaven. Eyebleed sort of stuff.

Difficult loss to digest - I feel the deck is dry and it's a different sort of game. The psychology of AFL seems to get to us when it's wet, we are our own worst enemies and handle it poorly. A loss is a loss though.

Meh, it was going to happen sooner or later.

If you'd told me 7-2 wins after 9 rounds heading into Round 10 before the season had started I'd say "start the effing car!", it was an insipid, uninspiring, ugly performance and miserable loss; but...it's not the end of the world. It's only the 2nd loss for the year, so the key now is to bounce right back get on that wagon and get ready for Collingwood. Because beyond that - it's getting a bit higher in the temperature stakes.

Metricon is our new Marvel. Utter bogey ground.

Shout out to D. King, the most anti-Freo commentator going...his bias is utter putrid. He can suck a big bag of rotten North d***s. He gets anymore gigs on our games and I'm muting the sound and sticking headphones in with some tunes on the pump......man's a complete codslap. Go and take your face for a sh*t!!

Agree 100% with you comments about D King being the most anti Freo commentator ever. The way he was talking up GC it sounded like they were the greatest team to ever play the game. By the way what is a "codslap"?

Wet weather screws us, but the humidity makes it far worse. Reminded me of that Cairns game between St Kilda and Port Adelaide a couple of weeks back. Just an ugly, slippery, draining slog. Fortunately we won't be playing at Metricon again this year.
Frustrating we can't adapt to it though, but yes - we're not the first that will be caught out. Fortunately Finals is played in Sept and it's mostly (!) dry. But it's an area we need some analyse on as a footy club and we need some alternative plans because what we tried today wasn't working - our guys got caught out and exposed, so it's really disappointing, but we need to shrug it off quickly and bounce back as it gets a bit more serious Round 11 onwards

Agree 100% with you comments about D King being the most anti Freo commentator ever. The way he was talking up GC it sounded like they were the greatest team to ever play the game. By the way what is a "codslap"?
I dunno, sounded good in my head :tongueoutv1: Maybe when I see King's face I want to slap it with a cod! :laughv1:

I dunno, sounded good in my head :tongueoutv1: Maybe when I see King's face I want to slap it with a cod! :laughv1:
I think it's what Selwood did to Kingy post match a few years back.

oR0mK3Q.gif

Our chase out pressure is starting to drop away a little bit , it’s still a big improvement from last year though

So flat after an 8 day break , hopefully it’s just a post bye game type of performance you get from a lot of teams but the nagging little 25yrs of disappointment pick in my ear won’t shut up ….. this is about the time cracks start to appear in non finalist / good pre season burst out of the blocks type teams

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Didn't it bucket down at half time in the Geelong game and we did ok in the second half.

How many of today's 22 have had Covid in the last month? 10?? If half of them are down in performance by 5% due to Covid that's the difference. Today's conditions were perfect for Crowden and even Blakely and let 2 of the Covid guys have an extra week to recover.

The 3 tall defenders didn't really work rounds 1 and 2 then we went with Cox, Logue and Pearce in horrible conditions today and it didn't work. Young plays tall. Chapman plays tall. Ryan has played as a key defender. Too tall down back in those conditions today, Chol was too agile.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back