Autopsy Hinkleys hobos vs the oldest team in the universe

Remove this Banner Ad

i would love that to be true. but by the same token. keep it to what you can control. but lets not romanticize the afl as an even/ fair comp.
it it ruled by powers far beyond our control.

It’s exactly what he said…

Voted then brought lunch and didn't watch any of it and frankly I'm not even upset slightly , I played rocksmith between checking scores

Shortly after the awful SPP HTB decision, I switched to Dogs-Suns while doing that “of course” eye-diversion to our game’s ticker in the bottom-right corner.

I would almost always watch our dire away games from start to finish in 2011/12, and in recent years.

So what’s the difference? My early hypothesis is that 2022 feels like watching replays of a ton of similar games we’ve lost, so why bother? We know how it happens and how it ends.

Yesterday reminded me a lot of 2015 when Port played Geelong mid-year with high expectations to revive the season, laid an egg and the rest is history. Same thing happened yesterday. If Port had won they would have been back at 5-5 with all expectations being to make finals with a likely belief that they could still go deep in September. But when the pressure was on, the team crumbled just as they so often have under even the slightest of expectations under Ken's tenure as coach.

The most frustrating thing for me was that as the pressure was amped up by Geelong, the players resorted to the default bomb it into the forward 50 without actually looking for a target. They've learned absolutely nothing over the last month and yesterday reaffirmed that notion.

Two games against Richmond, Sydney, Geelong again, Freo in Perth, and Melbourne in the NT. They can only lose 3 more games this year to have any chance of making the finals. I see them losing at least 4 of the aforementioned games. And if they were to miss finals this year one can only assume that Hinkley will finally be gone.
That’s the hope and best case scenario. As others have said, the return of Dixon isn’t helping yesterday’s problems. We were smashed in the contests and had no run.

Over the last 20 years, its rare for any travelling team to win at Geelong.

At the start of the season you'd put this game down as a loss.

Where we've stuffed up is losing to Adelaide, Hawthorn and Carlton in the first 5 rounds. At the start of the season you'd pencil those in as wins.

We clearly don't know what's good for us, so we should stop whingeing and trust that the decisions made by those in charge are in the best interests of the club. In other news, I just saw a pig fly by my window.

I love watching PAFC win and dominate oppositions but I'm realistic and appreciate we all have our time in the lower half. In the tougher times, it is watching the exciting youth develop, mature or show flashes of brilliance as a sign of things to come.

Unfortunately we have neither.

We don't dominate, we coach our youth into the grey abyss of mediocrity.

Our issue is we coach our side to enjoy a business model, where I was brought up thinking PAFC existed to win premierships. The later requires a plan and the confidence to accept short term pain on and off the field.

RussellEbertHandball do you have the total distance covered for the North game? It doesn't come up on the AFL app.

Total distance covered this week was Port 193km v Geelong 278km
WheeloRatings might have it as he uses a program that downloads data from the app and other AFL sources, but his website doesn't have access to individual games just totals, but he might have the in offline.

This is his site for future reference.

Where we've stuffed up is losing to Adelaide, Hawthorn and Carlton in the first 5 rounds. At the start of the season you'd pencil those in as wins.
That just sounds like a defeatist excuse. I dont care if others choke in Geelong, we should have won on talent.

I did the stats after Freo won. This is the stats since Ross Lyon coached Freo there for the first time in 2013, he had a good record down there, and up to Freo winning there in Rd 7 are;

Adel... 0-5... overall 3-12
Bris.... 0-7... overall 5-13 Lions glory days they won down there a lot
Freo.. 3-4... overall 4-15
GC..... 0-7.... overall 0-8
GWS. 2-3.... overall 2-4
PA..... 0-2...... yesterday makes it 0-3 and 2-13 since 1997
Syd... 3-3..............21-42 inc South Melbourne days
WCE.. 0-4..... overall 8-1-17 but includes lost to Sydney there in 2021

Since 2013, Collinwood haven't played there Haw 0-1, Ess 0-1, Rich 0-1, (thanks to covid)
Carl 1-2
WB 0-6
Stk 0-5
MN 1-4
Mel 2-4

That just sounds like a defeatist excuse. I dont care if others choke in Geelong, we should have won on talent.

I know it sounds defeatist but nonetheless it's a cauldron that even very good teams rarely win at. We are not even close to being a very good team at the moment so what hope did we have.

They flogged us all over. It was like they had an extra 10 players.

I know it sounds defeatist but nonetheless it's a cauldron that even very good teams rarely win at. We are not even close to being a very good team at the moment so what hope did we have.

They flogged us all over. It was like they had an extra 10 players.
10 years in and we aren't even getting close to being a very good team.

That's the point!

Re the 10 year bit, kern's pressers after geebung games have regularly been a variation on the same theme, ie `they were too big and too strong.'

For too long the powers that be at Port have done SFA to remedy that situation and particularly the lack of genuine size in defence.
I can recall when Podsiadly was playing for the catters in a game at AO and he absolutely dwarfed his opponent Tom Clurey.
The top of Cluzza's head was about level with Pod's shoulders, he looked like a 15 year old against a grown man, and Pods has probably been retired for at least 5 years now.

Re the 10 year bit, kern's pressers after geebung games have regularly been a variation on the same theme, ie `they were too big and too strong.'

For too long the powers that be at Port have done SFA to remedy that situation and particularly the lack of genuine size in defence.
I can recall when Podsiadly was playing for the catters in a game at AO and he absolutely dwarfed his opponent Tom Clurey.
The top of Cluzza's head was about level with Pod's shoulders, he looked like a 15 year old against a grown man, and Pods has probably been retired for at least 5 years now.
Record breaking coach Ken Hinkley said in the post match presser our best football is still ahead of us. Duck off moite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Podsiadly and Clurey never played against each other. Podsiadly was at the Crows by the time we moved to Adelaide Oval too.

Maybe the game you’re thinking of is the 2013 AAMI game and the defender you’re thinking of is Campbell Heath?

Podsiadly and Clurey never played against each other. Podsiadly was at the Crows by the time we moved to Adelaide Oval too.

Maybe the game you’re thinking of is the 2013 AAMI game and the defender you’re thinking of is Campbell Heath?
You are probably correct re Clurey but I don't think it was Heath, it was a more well known and regular player than him.

Apart from the final last year when we thrashed them.
Over all I think Scott would be way ahead. Out of 14 attempts under Hinkley we lose 10, I would call this a domination.

2013 Geelong 2.2 3.6 8.12 13.18 (96) dftd Port Adelaide 3.2 7.5 8.5 12.8 (80)
2013 Geelong 6.4 12.7 19.9 20.9 (129) dftd Port Adelaide 1.3 4.4 10.5 16.8 (104)
2013 Port Adelaide 0.4 3.6 4.10 9.14 (68) lost to Geelong 7.1 10.4 15.6 18.8 (116)
2018 Port Adelaide 1.2 4.4 7.5 7.8 (50) lost to Geelong 3.2 5.7 8.10 12.12 (84)
2017 Geelong 1.5 6.8 9.14 11.15 (81) dftd Port Adelaide 3.1 5.6 9.9 11.13 (79)
2016 Port Adelaide 5.4 5.6 7.9 8.11 (59) lost to Geelong 1.4 7.5 12.9 16.11 (107)
2015 Port Adelaide 5.2 7.3 10.3 11.3 (69) lost to Geelong 5.1 8.4 12.7 14.8 (92)
2020 Geelong 2.3 4.3 7.7 14.7 (91) dftd Port Adelaide 0.1 1.6 3.7 4.7 (31)
2021 Port Adelaide 5.1 8.2 10.4 14.7 (91) lost to Geelong 4.3 8.5 11.8 17.10 (112)
2022 Geelong 3.6 4.8 9.11 11.16 (82) dftd Port Adelaide 2.1 5.3 6.3 7.5 (47)

Last edited:
WheeloRatings might have it as he uses a program that downloads data from the app and other AFL sources, but his website doesn't have access to individual games just totals, but he might have the in offline.

This is his site for future reference.

Powerade 08 RussellEbertHandball unfortunately I do not have access to the player tracker data. All season totals on my site I do have for individual games as well, but it's just the stats you find through AFL StatsPro, not Telstra Tracker.

Over all I think Scott would be way ahead. Out of 14 attempts under Hinkley we lose 10, I would call this a domination.

2013 Geelong 2.2 3.6 8.12 13.18 (96) dftd Port Adelaide 3.2 7.5 8.5 12.8 (80)
2013 Geelong 6.4 12.7 19.9 20.9 (129) dftd Port Adelaide 1.3 4.4 10.5 16.8 (104)
2013 Port Adelaide 0.4 3.6 4.10 9.14 (68) lost to Geelong 7.1 10.4 15.6 18.8 (116)
2018 Port Adelaide 1.2 4.4 7.5 7.8 (50) lost to Geelong 3.2 5.7 8.10 12.12 (84)
2017 Geelong 1.5 6.8 9.14 11.15 (81) dftd Port Adelaide 3.1 5.6 9.9 11.13 (79)
2016 Port Adelaide 5.4 5.6 7.9 8.11 (59) lost to Geelong 1.4 7.5 12.9 16.11 (107)
2015 Port Adelaide 5.2 7.3 10.3 11.3 (69) lost to Geelong 5.1 8.4 12.7 14.8 (92)
2020 Geelong 2.3 4.3 7.7 14.7 (91) dftd Port Adelaide 0.1 1.6 3.7 4.7 (31)
2021 Port Adelaide 5.1 8.2 10.4 14.7 (91) lost to Geelong 4.3 8.5 11.8 17.10 (112)
2022 Geelong 3.6 4.8 9.11 11.16 (82) dftd Port Adelaide 2.1 5.3 6.3 7.5 (47)
Just a statistical anomaly, you white-noise generating hater.

Hinkley pointing to the stats to back up how outclassed we were all-game (as he puts it), neglecting that it was probably the second half blow out where we seemed to swing further into Hinkleyball territory than we were in the first half as the prime contributor to a lot of those stats. The man does not know how to make any in-game change other than to screw us over.

Our brilliant-minded coach went into the Geelong game with pretty much the same game plan as the Melbourne game; avoid their intercept defenders (Stewart) at all costs by going wide and short, with no real intent to score. Inevitably, as per the Melbourne game, it opened up after half time and we got smashed. Hinkley is a no trick pony, bereft of ideas and footy nous.

You are probably correct re Clurey but I don't think it was Heath, it was a more well known and regular player than him.

Let's be honest, it's basically any Geelong forward compared to any Port defender.

Our brilliant-minded coach went into the Geelong game with pretty much the same game plan as the Melbourne game; avoid their intercept defenders (Stewart) at all costs by going wide and short, with no real intent to score. Inevitably, as per the Melbourne game, it opened up after half time and we got smashed. Hinkley is a no trick pony, bereft of ideas and footy nous.
It was such a joy to watch us go wide and slow and go back and kick over the mark when we were several goals down.

Such dynamic coaching.

I'm both of the first 2. I actually wanted to beat those campaigners and we actually looked a shot at half time.

After that I just got angry that I got my hopes up.
Sounds exactly like following the Redbacks. They tease you for a short time, and then when you think they might have finally turned a corner, there's another car crash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back