Autopsy Round 15, 2022: Hawks mauled by Dogs

We need to get Tom, Worps and JOM watching Libbers centre clearance work on repeat clockwork orange style.
He’s one of the best I’ve ever seen.

Was best on by a mile last night and we had no answer for him.
Goes to prove you don’t need a big bodied mid just the application and desire, oh and an inane ability to read the drop of the ball helps too.
Only problem is Worpel struggles too often and not consistent enough when he’s in there with JOM and Tom

I don't know who does the best players in the official match report, but Reeves, Impey, Worpel and Breust were in our best players apparently.

Not Moore though.

I preface this by stating I’ve not seen much of this game after quarter time as I was at a gig at the Northcote social club, but I will say that I got a text from a Carlton mate late in the game and our exchange went like this…

CM: “stating the obvious, but you still have to defend”.
Me: “I’m out, but I just saw the scores. Their biggest strength our biggest weakness. Not surprised.”
CM: “you’ve got a long road ahead. I don’t know your list well, but you were only missing 3 players from you best 22”.
Me: “I think we had Frost, Day, Wingard, BigBoy, Ward, DGB and Gunston all not playing.”
CM: “wow ok, that’s a big difference to your team if they play”.
Me: “we need more mids though. No doubt we got smacked out of the middle”.

Then I log in here and see, as suspected, most people commenting on just how poor we are in the middle because it’s such a common theme in every autopsy.
I was kinda surprised on reflection to note that not one of our first round picks from the last 3 years was out there.

I did see some of the last quarter, funnily enough when we kicked a string of goals, so maybe I’ll sit through the game tomorrow. All in all, I still like a lot of what we are doing, if we could just insert another two genuine clearance winning mids into the middle somehow, that would be great.
Autopsy threads are rinse and repeat , could pretty much copy/paste and use every game .
Its correct though .
I do see light at the end of the midfield tunnel though .....12 months ago I did not .

I think we can turn it quickly in footy terms say 12-18 months , but need to nail this draft and hopefully land a very good FA mid/wing imo.

Obviously our midfield was smashed. The TOM, JOM AND Worps core failed again, as we all knew it would.
Our midfield actually looked better when McDonald and Moore etc got a chance in there. Nash and newcombe are probably our two best clearance mids.

One concern I have is CJ. I love his dash and dare, but he seems to be trying to take everyone on, rather than looking at the first option, and runs himself into trouble a lot. By being more focused on who’s following him, he’s not actually looking forward on who to kick it too. Would be a terrible guy to try and lead too.

We need to get Tom, Worps and JOM watching Libbers centre clearance work on repeat clockwork orange style.
He’s one of the best I’ve ever seen.

Was best on by a mile last night and we had no answer for him.
Goes to prove you don’t need a big bodied mid just the application and desire, oh and an inane ability to read the drop of the ball helps too.
That high free kick and goal from the dogs forward (can’t remember who) was fair dunkum the most obvious duck I’ve seen. Clear HTB

Autopsy threads are rinse and repeat , could pretty much copy/paste and use every game .
Its correct though .
I do see light at the end of the midfield tunnel though .....12 months ago I did not .

I think we can turn it quickly in footy terms say 12-18 months , but need to nail this draft and hopefully land a very good FA mid/wing imo.
How good would it be to have a player that can win a centre clearance with consistency?

Clearance winning mid is our biggest need.

The dogs were so much better at contested ball when they ramped up intensity in 2/3rd. We couldn’t match their hardness, cleanliness at ground ball and spread. Just highlighted the massive gap in our midfield between good and real quality.

How good would it be to have a player that can win a centre clearance with consistency?

Clearance winning mid is our biggest need.
Need more than one. That’s the problem. The midfield is paper thin with one very good player (who is in his second season), a bunch of ageing and inconsistent disappointments and some hopeful kids. Playing a side full of established star midfielders like the Dogs (and they were missing one better than any of ours also) we can’t compete for 4 quarters. Other parts of the list are nicely on track (even ahead of expectations) but the midfield is several gun players short and woefully inadequate

I know he's a bit of a whipping boy at the moment but I really liked Worps tough contested handall work last night. And it might be an unpopular opinion but the midfield is better the more time he spend in the centre square, he goes missing whe he was pushed out and forced to place up forward or as a high midfielder because that isn't his game.
His centre bounces attendances directly correlate to our best qtrs of footy. Maybe I'm reading into it but a 23yr old contested player is worth hanging on to in my opinion.

He was in:
4/6 in the first quarter
3/7 in the second quarter
2/7 in the 3rd quarter
12/15 in the 4th quarter

Mitchell for example
2/6
7/7
6/7
6/15

Last edited:
I know he's a bit of a whipping boy at the moment but I really liked Worps tough contested handall work last night. And it might be an unpopular opinion but the midfield is better the more time he spend in the centre square, he goes missing whe he was pushed out and forced to place up forward or as a high midfielder because that isn't his game.
His centre bounces attendances directly correlate to our best qtrs of footy. Maybe I'm reading into it but a 23yr old contested player is worth hanging on to in my opinion.

He was in:
4/6 in the first quarter
3/7 in the second quarter
2/7 in the 3rd quarter
12/15 in the 4th quarter

Mitchell for example
2/6
7/7
6/7
6/12
Good first up post. Do you have Newcombe‘s attendance? I felt we seemed to going better with him in there. He seemed to coming off the halfback from the second quarter onwards

Need more than one. That’s the problem. The midfield is paper thin with one very good player (who is in his second season), a bunch of ageing and inconsistent disappointments and some hopeful kids. Playing a side full of established star midfielders like the Dogs (and they were missing one better than any of ours also) we can’t compete for 4 quarters. Other parts of the list are nicely on track (even ahead of expectations) but the midfield is several gun players short and woefully inadequate
Two would be great but I feel like I’m just being needy. 😂

Good first up post. Do you have Newcombe‘s attendance? I felt we seemed to going better with him in there. He seemed to coming off the halfback from the second quarter onwards
Thanks
Newcombe stats were:
5/6
3/7
4/7
10/15

Going forward I think the more time a mixture of Newcombe/Worpel and either MacDonald, Nash or someone like Ward spend in the middle the more competitive we will be In middle over time

Thought the same thing about CMac in there in the last. Seems to have what it takes. Probably not for 4 quarters yet though.

Time to start mixing it up in the guts more with the likes of Nash, CMac, Moore, Ward, Day, Duke. And less of Mitchell and Worpel.
Yep let's hope CMacs centre square minutes go thru the roof. Showed plenty in there in a short time.

Need to look at pushing CJ thru there too. The whole centre square game is about being able to run it these days and we don't have any.

Would you trade our 1st say pick 5 and second pick 23 to move up and jag Wardlaw??

Need quality and quantity.

With North in need of KPP I'm sure one of the higher rated mids will open up for us.

Yep let's hope CMacs centre square minutes go thru the roof. Showed plenty in there in a short time.

Need to look at pushing CJ thru there too. The whole centre square game is about being able to run it these days and we don't have any.
I don’t mind the idea of giving CJ a run in there either. I suppose the question is whether we commit to it. I’m not sure you can give CJ 10 mins a game and expect him to learn centre square craft. The other problem is that we still don’t seem to have any great coherence in the centre square - Doggies are the complete opposite. If the system ain’t working for the regular centre square attendees how do you introduce another newbie into it?

Thanks
Newcombe stats were:
5/6
3/7
4/7
10/15

Going forward I think the more time a mixture of Newcombe/Worpel and either MacDonald, Nash or someone like Ward spend in the middle the more competitive we will be In middle over time
As I suspected. We surrendered an advantage in the middle quarters not having Jai there as often.

Back