Preview Changes: R16 vs Melbourne, Saturday July 2, 4.05pm ACST @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Club must have been panicking to put out a statement justifying selection. I don't think that has been done before.

...Murphy brings in valuable experience up forward and sets up our forward structure and Newchurch hasn't got a well rounded game.

If Murphy is anywhere near our forward line we are in big trouble. He is going at 12.5% accuracy for goal and his field kicking is shithouse.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Because you did the same thing to them. Asked a question which was not on topic with the comment you were quoting - and a question which they had specifically addressed in an earlier post.

Weird approach.
Actually no. My question was legitimate on both occasions. This is a selection thread and I asked a selection question.

CG was carrying on like he does, having cracks at posters, he brought up people having a crack at Murphys selection. But on a pure football decision between the players, he didn't make a comment. Hence my question.

You also brought up Murphy in a selection thread and given it was a choice between Murphy and Newchurch, I asked you the same question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Club must have been panicking to put out a statement justifying selection. I don't think that has been done before.

...Murphy brings in valuable experience up forward and sets up our forward structure and Newchurch hasn't got a well rounded game.

If Murphy is anywhere near our forward line we are in big trouble. He is going at 12.5% accuracy for goal and his field kicking is shithouse.

They didn't "put out a statement ". It's the normal Friday presser

The club must of copped so much heat on the Newchurch non call up they made Nicks put out a statement for it. And then he only went and dug himself a deeper ******* hole 😂. Hows about Murphy ”rounds” out his game and gets some bloody consistency.

Murphy hasn't be picked instead of Newchurch. Thilthorpe has been picked ahead of Newchurch, why are people not getting that?

Murphy has been selected for his experience and to cover, for the most part, the absence of McHenry, whilst probably also going forward as a small.

We have decided to go with an EXTRA tall, instead of replacing McAdam with Newchurch, who is a like-for-like Medium Forward.

They've picked Murphy because he can probably shift between both roles.

Nicks and the AFC have put out a presser because the the wheels of your average part-time fan/Big Footy analyst are squeaking loudly, AND THEY DEMAND TO BE HEARD

Nicks is part right. Newchurch does indeed have deficiencies and he may very well not be the long term answer. But I am much more sure Murphy isn't the answer either and we have 69 AFL games as evidence backing that up. We should be playing Newchurch when the opportunity arises in order to find out where he's at.
I'm not against Murph as a player, in fact i've given him a lot of praise earlier in the season, but right now he's straight up out of form. He was the least performed small forward in the 1's, and was correctly dropped. Then goes back and is the least performed small forward in the 2's. His goal kicking has regressed terribly, his tackle pressure is below average for a KPF let alone a pressure forward, and his impact in stoppages (which I was loving earlier) has reduced to nothing.

Promoting an out of form player whose not performing any function of his role is just such a bad look. I usually don't join the selection bashing squad, but this one was just so moronic and blatant that I couldn't hold back!

And I genuinely feel for Tariek, the kid must be absolutely furious! And I wouldn't blame him if he comes out flat as a tack on the weekend. I hope he doesn't, but would understand if he did

Murphy hasn't be picked instead of Newchurch. Thilthorpe has been picked ahead of Newchurch, why are people not getting that?

What do you mean? Walker, Fogarty, Thilthorpe and McAdam all played the Suns game.

Thilthorpe got injured and didn't get replaced by a tall the following week. We went small and had to ruck a defender as a result.

We usually play three tall forwards with or without McAdam

Murphy has been selected for his experience and to cover, for the most part, the absence of McHenry, whilst probably also going forward as a small.

We have decided to go with an EXTRA tall, instead of replacing McAdam with Newchurch, who is a like-for-like Medium Forward.

Nicks and the AFC have put out a presser because the the wheels of your average part-time fan/Big Footy analyst are squeaking loudly, AND THEY DEMAND TO BE HEARD
So Nicks lied when he justified picking Murphy over Newchurch?

With the header - Nicks explains selection decisions.

From looking at Twitter this has stirred the fans up more than actual selection last night.

That's exactly what happened

There's been a backlash online after selection plus I'm sure the club has been inundated with emails today.

On the back of 5 win season and especially a 22,000 home crowd they're worried. Heck I've received more surveys in the last fortnight than I have in the 12 months previous

If Jackson doesn't get up for the Dees, they will have no recognised ruck. Their other players to record a hit out stat this season have 31 hit outs between them - Weidemann (16 from 7 games), Tom McDonald (15 from 9 games) and Ben Brown (1 from 11 games).

Hopefully we can at least win one of the stats.

Also, we have won at least one quarter in every game this year. I hope we can keep that stat going.

Newchurch

“He is very, very good in front of goal, he’s got some really big assets when it comes to his speed and his agility.

“He’s developing really well, he’s a fantastic young kid, so we’ll see when the time is right.

“But I do understand the pressure at the moment for spots and our selection committee understands people want to see Tariek.

“We want to see him as well and he’ll be exciting when the opportunity does come.”

What do you mean? Walker, Fogarty, Thilthorpe and McAdam all played the Suns game.

Thilthorpe got injured and didn't get replaced by a tall the following week. We went small and had to ruck a defender as a result.

We usually play three tall forwards with or without McAdam

It's a self-defeating point you're making there. It appears as if you haven't quite worked out squad numbers.

Yes we lost the Suns game by 47 points with Thilthorpe, and then won the next game by 60 points without Thilthorpe who, IMO, hasn't done anything to deserve a recall.

We have generally changed between having 3 & 2 talls throughout the season subject to availability AND the makeup of the teams we're coming up against.

If Thilthorpe comes in 'because we always play 3 talls', then a HF or F from last week will have to be playing out of position if Newchurch came in for McAdam.

If Newchurch comes in for McAdam, then you're saying effectively saying Thilthorpe comes in for McHenry. Which stuffs up whatever forward balance we appeared to have from last week.

Thilthorpe coming into the squad, and Murphy being able to rotate between McHenry's and McAdam roles (to an extent) with other players brings a lot better balance to the team. It's versatility and experience versus Newchurch.

Murray was fine chopping out in the Ruck role last week, better than Thilthorpe has ever done, which makes his selection even more bizarre if only to perhaps keep Lever a bit more honest down back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s so much wrong in this post that I don’t even know where to start…

They didn't "put out a statement ". It's the normal Friday presser

Do they normally package up the Friday presser and release it in a statement all over their socials? I’ll think you’ll find they don’t 😉

Bitterly disappointed.

Here is the email i just typed up:

Hello Mr Silvers,

I am writing to you tonight as a bitterly disappointed member of the AFC. I am absolutely frustrated by the baffling selection decisions from the coaches week in and week out in 2022. I am not going to sit here and think I know more about football than these people. I don't. But i need to vent as tonight's selection has made me more angry and more disappointed in my football club than ever before and i will not sit back and be voiceless anymore

Some of my frustrations:
1. Playing the inexperienced players out of position, which in turn then makes them look like they didn't play well and they get dropped again,
2. The lack of opportunity after some good SANFL form for some players (Newchurch, Worrell, Pedlar)
3. Dropping the young players after what seemed like good form (Jones)
4. Moving Hately out of the midfield after some really good form in the guts across a few games (best of his short career) once Crouch was brought back into the team
5. Playing a midfield most weeks of 185 cm slow football players. All who have rotated through there at times are good footballers in their own rights, but they are all basically the same height, speed and skill level (Laird, Keays, Crouch, Hately, Berry, Sloane etc before his injury). Easy to plan for opposition coaches IMO
6. The regression of Thilthorpe and Rachele. Thilthorpe looks a shell of the player he was 12 months ago and Rachele came into the league as the most in form first year player in the first 6 weeks and now can't get near it. Why? Maybe the first year caught up with Rachele, but that doesn't explain Thilthorpe

And tonight was the final straw. It seemed like the perfect opportunity for a young player to get an opportunity (i.e. Newchurch in this week after some amazing SANFL form) for McHenry who is injured, yet we select Lachlan Murphy, a player we have seen and know what output we'll get. I do not believe for 1 second that we are better off with him in the team over Newchurch in this situation of where the team is at development and ladder wise

When we are supposedly going through a "rebuild" some of the decisions though 2022 have been baffling to say the least. There have been some positives. Dawson is an absolute gun. Great recruit. Berry has been put in his best position and has thrived. Fogarty seems to have turned the corner. Burgess seems to have been an amazing pick up for our fitness

I want to get one thing clear. I am ok with losing whilst rebuilding..... IF there is some semblance of a plan for the future.

But when we keep going back to players who we have seen in action and know exactly what they offer (Murphy tonight, Crouch again recently) when we have potentially better players in amazing form and we still don't select them, then I can't see what that plan is. We need to see what some of these players in the SANFL have got. And when they're in form is the best time. But the club continues to "play it safe" even though we are losing more games than we're winning anyway

And if I don't believe there is a plan, I am afraid that my membership. My wife's membership and my 2 kid's memberships will not be renewed in 2023. I just have to make a stand and not throw away my hard earned $ year after year to see the same decisions being made over and over again. Its the definition of insanity

I hope you get a chance to read this email, I understand you are a busy man. I know I am not the only one feeling this frustration, I just hope to see some change at the AFC regarding our selection policies and the way the club looks at a rebuild and developing of our young players by giving them a shot on the big stage
"Dear Glenno,
Thank you for your letter.

We value highly your detailed constructive criticism as we do from all passionate supporters like you. I assure you that the points you make will be addressed as soon as possible.

Please write again whenever, if ever, you notice any more deficiencies in what we've been doing.

Yours sincerely,
Tim Silvers
P.S. Please find attached your 2023 Membership Renewal notices for you, your wife and 2 children. You might notice that costs have gone up a little, but Coaches of the distinctive quality of Matthew Nicks, Burgess et al do not come cheaply. Thank you for your invaluable support
".

Glenno23, great try :thumbsu: :smilev1: , but I think the effects of your letter lie in the answer to this question:
If a letter falls in a forest of letters on a CEO's desk and is ignored like all the others, does it have any impact?

I actually think you’ve nailed the reasons why they selected Murphy even though I don’t agree with them

They’ve looked at Ned on terms of pressure and what we have without him and then looked at the next pressure player in Murphy to fill that void

Personally I would have rolled with in form Newchurch and just hoped that potentially a bit more offence could offset a bit more pressure … who knows , maybe with a bit more speed in forward half pressure might not drop off at all if intent is there

We will never know this week , I think an error by the coaches but agree with you that you’ve nailed the reasons

"Dear Glenno,
Thank you for your letter.

We value highly your detailed constructive criticism as we do from all passionate supporters like you. I assure you that the points you make will be addressed as soon as possible.

Please write again whenever, if ever, you notice any more deficiencies in what we've been doing.

Yours sincerely,
Tim Silvers
P.S. Please find attached your 2023 Membership Renewal notices for you, your wife and 2 children. You might notice that costs have gone up a little, but Coaches of the distinctive quality of Matthew Nicks, Burgess et al do not come cheaply. Thank you for your invaluable support
".

Glenno23, great try :thumbsu: :smilev1: , but I think the effects of your letter lie in the answer to this question:
If a letter falls in a forest of letters on a CEO's desk and is ignored like all the others, does it have any impact?
A posted cut up membership to him might have more weight

Yeah this is just all nonsensical crap.

'Murphy has been selected for his experience and to cover, for the most part, the absence of McHenry, whilst probably also going forward as a small.'

So we bring in one s**t player to cover for another s**t player? Why not bring in Newchurch to cover for McHenry? W

It sounds like you, and many other posters on this board, don’t actually understand Ned’s role. Of course we’re going to lose, but Ned’s ability to apply pressure and mitigate quality forward entries will be sorely missed

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
On the contrary; Ned's been replaced by Murphy who's another try-hard scrapper with negligible scoreboard effect :rolleyes: .

ALL AFL teams face "pressure", every week.
Melbourne create pressure about which Nicks dreams, and absorb it brilliantly. Replacing Ned with Murphy is like taking a fly off the butt of an elephant and replacing it with a mossie. The elephant won't notice, or care.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back