Player Watch Josh Rachele - Re-Signed to End of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems to be dropping his head in game the last couple of weeks. Not a dig at him, I'm sure it's just that he wants to snag another big haul of goals (or even just a couple) but I really hope he is ok above the shoulders. Someone get the word to the Texan to feed him a few.
People need to remember that he's still a kid and moving to a new state at his age is a huge change. Some players take a couple of years to settle in. My advice to him is to work hard and don't read your own press. I think this year is a big wake up call that AFL is not easy and success is not guaranteed.

Seems to be dropping his head in game the last couple of weeks. Not a dig at him, I'm sure it's just that he wants to snag another big haul of goals (or even just a couple) but I really hope he is ok above the shoulders. Someone get the word to the Texan to feed him a few.

Either he’s struggling physically or he’s up to level 3 of our patented talented kid over-coaching course.

“Ok Josh, decent debut, you’ve kicked 5, but that’s not what being a small forward is these days. I’ve got your tape here, so let’s spend a few hours working out how you managed to find yourself in the wrong spots and ended up with the ball or kicking a goal. See here where you led straight at the ball carrier who then hit you up, that’s confusing for him and us. See where Tex and TT are, in this instance we’d like to see you run at 90 degrees away from the kicker for about 30 or 40 metres and start guarding space over on that flank.”

Either he’s struggling physically or he’s up to level 3 of our patented talented kid over-coaching course.

“Ok Josh, decent debut, you’ve kicked 5, but that’s not what being a small forward is these days. I’ve got your tape here, so let’s spend a few hours working out how you managed to find yourself in the wrong spots and ended up with the ball or kicking a goal. See here where you led straight at the ball carrier who then hit you up, that’s confusing for him and us. See where Tex and TT are, in this instance we’d like to see you run at 90 degrees away from the kicker for about 30 or 40 metres and start guarding space over on that flank.”
Sadly I reckon that wouldn't be too far from the truth.

Didn't someone post the other day we concentrate on their weaknesses and lose focus on their strengths? I think thats also close to the truth.

Meddling is the greatest flaw in young or inexperienced coaches.
It's a superior coach who recognises the players who require teaching from those who need coaching.

Can you imagine a young coach telling Eddie "just spill it over the line and we'll reset with a stoppage". Eddie smiles and says to himself "fu** that! I'm having a shot MF!"

Freak players when given the licence to try stuff end up doing....well you know the rest.

Takes experience, self confidence and maturity from a coach though.

He’s definitely got the natural talent and sense of what to do. I’m not seeing that athleticism they mentioned (Toby Greene style) that sees him as a danger in the air. If he works hard on his fitness I think he’ll become better suited to the midfield.

He’s definitely got the natural talent and sense of what to do. I’m not seeing that athleticism they mentioned (Toby Greene style) that sees him as a danger in the air. If he works hard on his fitness I think he’ll become better suited to the midfield.
I also see his future as a classy goal kicking mid that can rest fwd. Think the media have called it the "striker" role.

I reckon with more midfield time towards the end of the year would get him out of this slump. Teams have caught on he's the only other small kicking goals next to mcadam.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bring Ned in this week then. Murphy and Ned dont usually impact the scoreboard and it will mean we are less likely to win than having forwards who are goal kickers so should see the hawks move above us potentially strengthening our draft hand...silver linings and all

Out for 2 weeks with a hip injury. Apparently he has been managing the hip for a few weeks now.

The "he has been coached out of form" crazies will have to turn their attention elsewhere for the moment.

option A was clearly playing an injured player despite there being absolutely no need to. I'm not sure this absolves a pthe dickheads ruining the show at our club.

option A was clearly playing an injured player despite there being absolutely no need to. I'm not sure this absolves a pthe dickheads ruining the show at our club.

Thats a fair and valid criticism and I don't think this absolves anybody at the club. But for the life of me, with our club F*cking up so many things I just don't understand why you feel the need to create imaginary situations to be upset about.

But to the Rachele situation - I hadn't read any reports of him not training. It seems to be a key thing with Burgess having players become resilient through playing through niggles and training and something you seemed to support a year ago.

I think it's more likely we'll see better from our players more consistently. No more being Mollycoddled through the week so you can limp 'bravely and selflessly' through a game whilst fit kids are champing at the bit for an opportunity. If you're fit enough to play then you're fit enough to train hard during the week. And if you're not fit enough to do that, then you're in rehab until you can.

Burgess' benefit isn't just his technical knowledge, it's going to as much be about the culture change that comes with him. When you employ rookies and incompetents into roles they just fall in line with existing cultures. You need guys like him (and Balme would have been amazing) coming through periodically to break down failed philosophies.

Something about this particular situation you disagree with now?

Last edited:
why are they playing a kid if he is injured!!!
It was more likely a niggle where he was able to train ok previously but not 100% during a game. Now it’s been further knocked up during the Dees match, which is forcing him to be rested more.
The niggles on his thigh/hip would also likely explain why he hasn’t been as accurate as in his earlier games, and why he’s been looking more dejected/frustrated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back