Preview Sydney Swans vs Collingwood Sunday 14th August @SCG - The Birds of a Feather Knock Out Boogaloo

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It certainly was, any time you win a premiership it always is.

For mine this team is better balanced than 2016 and 2014, which means good signs. I am bullish on what we can do

potentially, this side could be the best in the sydney era ... certainly in terms of scoring potential, could be as potent as the late 80s swans, but this team seems better balanced ...
this is a very good time to be a swans fan ... and yes, your exuberant optimism is echoed here

Confidence, or lack there of, is a funny thing.

After the Bulldogs win got us back on track we were doomed to lose to Fremantle. We can’t beat them at Optus.

We couldn’t afford to be complacent against the Crows after such a big win the week before. We kicked them out of the game after only one quarter.

The Giants, though. They always play their grand final against us and their midfield is full of mature bodies. This was our true test! It was also our biggest win of the year.

Then we needed to consolidate our top 4 position. We are also North Melbourne’s grand final. We held them at arms length all game, built a lead of 10 goals before cruising.

Yet, somehow, none of the other times we proved ourselves matter. Only this week matters and we can’t be trusted. I’ve no doubt, if we win this weekend, there will be a reason that we need to prove ourselves against St. Kilda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One week at a time hey

potentially, this side could be the best in the sydney era ... certainly in terms of scoring potential, could be as potent as the late 80s swans, but this team seems better balanced ...
this is a very good time to be a swans fan ... and yes, your exuberant optimism is echoed here
better balanced and getting better. Scary to think what could be. Still lots of growth from within.

Wish it was one of their better players. De Goey is one of the most overrated inconsistent players in the AFL. He has already played his good game for the month.

He's got tats though he must be good

indeed ... the key is keeping as many together for as long as possible ...
this same squad with two more years together, individual and team improvement, geez ...

this game is so important in terms of this season, because the way things have unfolded we're a genuine shot at it, but hopefully it can be seen as a stepping stone to this potentially very bright future
however ... the great sides can do remarkable, unexpected things ...

I think we'll win this easily.

Going into this round Collingwood have a % of 106.3 and are in second place with two games to go.
You have to go back to 2000 to find a team that finished top 4 at the end of the H&A season with a lower % (North Melb 4th on 106.2%)
They've got into the habit of giving away leads and fighting back, often to fall over the line.

Yes, yes 11 game winning run, full of confidence, resilience, situational planning, changing game-style etc, but luck seems to not get much of a mention.
Against Essendon, Harrison Jones lining up in front of goals to kick the sealer, hits the post and Collingwood takes the ball to the other end and kicks the winner after the siren.
Jones should probably have kicked the goal, instead of the Ess leaders standing around Jones ready to jump on his back to congratulate him, they should have set up for the kick in, ball goes unchallenged to the other end where on the boundary Elliot marks the ball in between two taller Ess players and kicks a terrific goal to win the game.
Resilience, skill, confidence etc but all would have come to nought if Essendon did their job.

As the all seeing, all knowing Damo pointed out today; Collingood ave winning margin last 5 games less than a goal, ours over 7 goals.
Collingwood have almost got into the mindset of falling behind and springing back.
It's an unsustainable game 'plan'.
It'll come undone and I think this will be the week.
Get ahead, keep the foot down and there will be no coming back for them.

How I see the game unfolding (Channel 7 commentary).

Firstly it would be remiss of us not to mention a retirement announcement this week.
Controversially left his first club to go on to become a Premiership player, captain, warrior and star at his second.
Congratulations on a terrific career Big Boy McEvoy.

Well Collingwood have fallen behind early but that won't phase them a bit, after all this is a team on an 11 game winning run.

Collingwood still well behind, but we all know their resilience and you don't go on an 11 game winning run without building confidence in yourselves.

It looks like the 11 game winning run is over for Collingwood, but they can hold their head high after their amazing 11 game winning run.
Shame to see Nick Daicos tagged. We want to see the young superstar running around strutting his stuff, not sure tagging is in the spirit of the modern day game.
But never fear Magpie fans your team is on the right track.
No doubt that the team was severely impacted by the flu bug that went through the team and then having to play interstate only compounds the problem.
One down day, due to factors beyond their control, after the team's 11 game game winning streak is perfectly understandable and there is no doubt that Collingwood will be there at the pointy end of the season along with Geelong and Melbourne battling for the Premiership Cup.

Prediction; the team that is not on an 11 game winning run to win by 6+ goals.
Hairy! Where have you been big fella? I've missed you.

Great post btw

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Confidence, or lack there of, is a funny thing.

After the Bulldogs win got us back on track we were doomed to lose to Fremantle. We can’t beat them at Optus.

We couldn’t afford to be complacent against the Crows after such a big win the week before. We kicked them out of the game after only one quarter.

The Giants, though. They always play their grand final against us and their midfield is full of mature bodies. This was our true test! It was also our biggest win of the year.

Then we needed to consolidate our top 4 position. We are also North Melbourne’s grand final. We held them at arms length all game, built a lead of 10 goals before cruising.

Yet, somehow, none of the other times we proved ourselves matter. Only this week matters and we can’t be trusted. I’ve no doubt, if we win this weekend, there will be a reason that we need to prove ourselves against St. Kilda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tbh, that's exactly how I felt about the team until our recent run of wins. We had been really inconsistent up until that point, and even the essendon match was one where I was expecting us to turn the corner and make a statement.

But to the coaches and players credit, they really have turned it around since that essendon loss, there have been a couple of adjustments made, and I think the players are much more focussed across 4 quarters.

I'm confident against both the pies and the st kilda. The team have proven over the last 5 rounds that they're able to perform consistently, so I'd back the swans against anyone in the comp.

Hairy! Where have you been big fella? I've missed you.

Great post btw
Thank you. :)

Generally I like to keep my BigFooty life separate from my real life, but since you asked.

I have a hobby farm up the country and there is actually a hippy commune nearby, so I met someone up there and we hit it off.
Although very different 'types'.
Me a meat eater, she a vegan. Night in front of the roaring fire, me with a glass of red, she with her weed.
But of course you need something more than a physical attraction and well to honest after a little while I was reminded, yet again, that sheep are just not great conversationalists.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
So we have gone our separate ways.
She off a roaming in the gloaming while I spend my nights back here on BF.

And so that dear reader is my tale.
All of this happened, more or less.

Generally I like to keep my BigFooty life separate from my real life, but since you asked.

I have a hobby farm up the country and there is actually a hippy commune nearby, so I met someone up there and we hit it off.
Me a meat eater, she a vegan. Night in front of the roaring fire, me with a glass of red, she with her weed.
But of course you need something more than a physical attraction and well to honest after a little while I was reminded, yet again, that sheep are just not great conversationalists.

Sounds delightful! A little mutually enjoyable interlude every now then is always a good thing... :cool:

Very happy you are back!

She was probably a Collingwood supporter. You're better off mate :)

indeed ... the key is keeping as many together for as long as possible ...
this same squad with two more years together, individual and team improvement, geez ...
This is the problem for every club. We have a very good group of young first team players and older players who mentor them. We also have a reserves team filled with talented players, who cant break into the first team. In the end its all down to salary cap, how much money does a club have to pay players that they think wiil fulfill the promise of their initial sighning

I'll just repeat what I said on the main board.

Betting odds don’t represent who the bookies think will win.

They represent who the bookies think we think will win.
lol no it absolutely does not

It represents the weight of money bet on specific positions and the best rates bookies can offer without losing their bags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back