Review Dees v the Carlton Tribunal Busters - the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Double hands to the chest like a bad actor nursing a gunshot wound in a B movie. Amazing that May's entire jaw wasn't smashed to pieces. What strength!

Please find the appropriate main board thread to drop that gif.
Done, Carlton dropping away thread felt appropriate

Kozzy got a $5,000 fine for rough conduct on Liam Stocker - anyone know what happened for that penalty?

Reckon that was the hardest I've celebrated a win for as long as I can remember, the match being horrible to watch for 99% of it, followed by a ridiculous finish probably helped. Also having top 4 lost, only to steal that chance back. Just an incredible atmosphere at the ground, dees supporters were going mental everywhere.

Reckon that was the hardest I've celebrated a win for as long as I can remember, the match being horrible to watch for 99% of it, followed by a ridiculous finish probably helped. Also having top 4 lost, only to steal that chance back. Just an incredible atmosphere at the ground, dees supporters were going mental everywhere.
Yep. Easily the best atmosphere I've heard at a Dees game for a long time outside of finals when Koz kicked that goal and when the final siren went!

I swear to god our worst periods of play this year have been when the other team has gotten on top and we endlessly kick long to Gawn from defence for what feels like an eternity as he drops it and we have no ability to win ground ball/pressure the ball carrier.

Happened in the last against the Blues and in the 2nd half against Cats as well.

Im sick of May wasting his kicking ability by dumping it long to the same spot every single time. Just coward s**t.
Does my head in.

May gets the ball in the square, looks to his right then angles out of the goalsquare and kicks to 55m out on the flank where brown and or Jackson are also with gawn. Like, not even an occasional kick right to switch it up. In the last quarter he did it 4 straight times. The first 10 minutes or so and Carlton kicked 2.5 from repeat entries on the back of this.

It's something that annoys me no end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't there, but did it compare to watts kicking the sealer in Queens bday?

Does my head in.

May gets the ball in the square, looks to his right then angles out of the goalsquare and kicks to 55m out on the flank where brown and or Jackson are also with gawn. Like, not even an occasional kick right to switch it up. In the last quarter he did it 4 straight times. The first 10 minutes or so and Carlton kicked 2.5 from repeat entries on the back of this.

Even Joey on first crack made mention we kick to the exact same spot everytime.
How hard would it be to go their say 3 times in a row then on the 4th have Hunt and Kozzy sprint to the opposite side and then give them the width of the G to work with

Does my head in.

Watch Goodies genius play in Finals, we will start kicking to the right from kick outs and go on to win back to back flags.

Even Joey on first crack made mention we kick to the exact same spot everytime.
How hard would it be to go their say 3 times in a row then on the 4th have Hunt and Kozzy sprint to the opposite side and then give them the width of the G to work with
It is bizarre. Your suggesting has two advantages - currently no team thinks we will do this because… we don’t. So there is acres of space on the fat side to work with. Secondly, if we did it from time to time, it might relieve the crush of defenders surrounding Gawn from the kick in because opposition wouldn’t be so sure what we were going to do every single time.

Just repeating ‘contested ball’ over and over and ‘getting it looking like a Melbourne game’ just isn’t going to work for ever. Cracks appearing all over the place this year

It is bizarre. Your suggesting has two advantages - currently no team thinks we will do this because… we don’t. So there is acres of space on the fat side to work with. Secondly, if we did it from time to time, it might relieve the crush of defenders surrounding Gawn from the kick in because opposition wouldn’t be so sure what we were going to do every single time.

Just repeating ‘contested ball’ over and over and ‘getting it looking like a Melbourne game’ just isn’t going to work for ever. Cracks appearing all over the place this year
If you set that up aswell, you can keep Trac and/or Fritsch down the line on that side around HF and just go long to them. They are both super good one on one so it doesn't even have to be a good kick

I was just thinking back to a kick out in the game, I'm pretty sure it was in the last quarter when we couldn't get it out of the back half. There was a player free in the corridor, slightly risky but an easy enough pass to hit and May completely ignored it and bombed it long down the line. I was sitting at that end so had a perfect view, we just didn't look like scoring but just did the same thing. May hits that short pass and it completely opens the ground. Can't remember the player but I reckon they could have ran it straight through the middle, worse case scenario is long bomb to nothing which is what we were doing but atleast it's now in our forward half. (Actually worse case scenario is a turn over in the centre if the kick misses ala owies to Saad but we were behind). Also some point in the game maybe half time a fellow Melbourne said to me in while we were both at the pisser, any chance of a switch. Apparently we've being going like this since round 16. I didn't realise that it had been going that long, thought maybe since the Doggies game we've been way to conservative but it's been longer. We seem to go into our shells once getting a lead or we are willing to just be really defensive and scrap for wins like Geelong circa 19/20. Defence is great but too defensive won't win premierships as Geelong have proven, that's why Geelong has adapted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back