List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2022 superstar edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players -

Shuey also to play off half back more next season according to Jarrod Schofield.

Hmmmm. What does that mean for Jones? If Shuey plays defense that will likely squeeze out Jones. Cole returning as well.

He is an UFA, will be interesting if another team liked the look of him as a small defender. Simo has been pumping up his tyres lately.-

Jones is close to the Kelly gang.

Shuey also to play off half back more next season according to Jarrod Schofield.
SHuey/Yeo off half back and through the midfield isn't the worst thing. As much as I like JJ's run off half back he gives me a heart attack every time he decides to kick. Really hoping he works on the decision making this pre-season.

Hmmmm. What does that mean for Jones? If Shuey plays defense that will likely squeeze out Jones. Cole returning as well.

He is an UFA, will be interesting if another team liked the look of him as a small defender. Simo has been pumping up his tyres lately.-

If he can push up the ground further, onto a wing maybe, his decision making with his kicking becomes less of an issue. They'll find a spot for him, there is no way we can lose his run.

much improived but 9 turnovers is a worry.

Isn't that the plan for Yeo??

Going to be a bit crowded in the back line with Shuey Yeo Hurn Duggan Jones playing off half back ..throw in Barrass Gov Cole Bazzo edwards in defence

not much room
Duggan / Barrass / Cole
Shuey/Yeo (rotating midfield) / McGovern / Jones (if not pushed up to a wing)

Bench: Bazzo
Back up: Hurn / Hedwards

Edit: Actually see Jones up the ground further, Duggan to half back, Hurn/Hedwards into back pocket depending on matchups

Going to be a bit crowded in the back line with Shuey Yeo Hurn Duggan Jones playing off half back ..throw in Barrass Gov Cole Bazzo edwards in defence

not much room
Watching Shuey this year - he's getting beaten in the midfield. Maybe fitness, maybe old legs, maybe column A/column B. But when he gets the ball he makes the right decisions and can hit targets lace out. Stands out like dogs balls. All these players everyone wants to "develop" just don't have these skills and probably never will.

Half back is a good move until we can draft someone with elite disposal and decision making. JJ is a temp solution. He's West off a HBF. Has a real crack but decision making and foot skills not up to it. People shouldn't confuse "having a crack" with "AFL standard footballer". He's just keeping that spot warm for someone better.

Duggan / Barrass / Cole
Shuey/Yeo (rotating midfield) / McGovern / Jones (if not pushed up to a wing)

Bench: Bazzo
Back up: Hurn / Hedwards
Interesting, but I think Basso is edging ahead of Duggan and Cole. Hedwards is coming along nicely - could be best 22 by the end of 2023 giving is some swing man options down back.

SHuey/Yeo off half back and through the midfield isn't the worst thing. As much as I like JJ's run off half back he gives me a heart attack every time he decides to kick. Really hoping he works on the decision making this pre-season.
Yeah but we need pace coming our of the back half...look at other teams collingwood tiges etc...they attack from there backline with pace

Jones provides that yes I agree he needs to work on disposal .....I would much prefer Shuey up forward with stints in the middle ......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not much room

On the bright side it may mean Chesser and Hough get developed as mids / wingers and not down back!

Interesting, but I think Basso is edging ahead of Duggan and Cole. Hedwards is coming along nicely - could be best 22 by the end of 2023 giving is some swing man options down back.
We have issues with small forwards. Bazzo doesn't resolve that. We missed Cole a lot more than i realised when look back at some of the smalls that torched us.

On the bench is no issue for Bazzo. He still plays 80% of game time, and allows us a bit more flexiblity, maybe he can play forward a bit as well....

Hewards, i'm still not sure, but will get enough games with McGovern missing a couple, others will miss games and he'll come in.

I'll preface this all with, this is not my ideal scenario! My ideal scenario is trade back slightly to increase our draft capital, as I personally think Sheezel is the only one apart from Ashcroft that is truly worth pick 2 (especially after watching the first half of this game from the weekend). The evenness from pick 3 to 15 I think is really close, so trading back you won't lose much in terms of talent. From trading back, I'd be looking at a midfielder first as we desperately need young talented mids and there are plenty of them in this draft. Phillipou would be my choice, as Sheezel would be gone and I think he's better than Clark, MacKenzie etc.

Back to Cadman, honestly I don't think his kicking is that bad. I think rather than being a bad kick, he is more inconsistent with the process he goes through taking a set shot. So I think that's easier to tidy up that than trying to fix a bad kick ala Ainsworth - hopefully a JK is still around to help with that. I know JK doesn't have the prettiest action, but rarely missed. My neighbour Mr Max King, now that's an action that I'm more concerned about.

D'Aliola, if we took Robertson in a trade I wouldn't bother with D'Aliola! I think they are incredibly similar players, great contested players that are elite at ground ball gets (an area we always under index in) and both have great hands/vision in traffic. Both have awkward kicking actions, but I also don't think they're poor kicks. They are still effective with it. For me we already have Hough, Chesser both that have speed and good kicks its adding support at the contest to get the ball to those guys.

Here's my real issue with Cadman. His goal kicking is nasty and others have said when someone has a good action goal kicking can generally if not be fixed it can at least be tidied up to be serviceable or better. The issue I see is the way he drops the ball, the inconsistency of ball drop type and that the moment he's pressured at all in field kicking the same thing happens.

If he had a strong, consistent action with his field kicking I would put it down to all between the ears and think it could be worked out, or even a slightly funky action if it was just his set shot. But it's not just his set shot is my problem with Cadman. He's not blisteringly strong or hugely athletic in comparison to AFL quality defenders (he's no mug at all and still the highest rated KPF at this point and probably the first drafted) but he's not some athletic freak with all of the positives I have pointed out in his game. For me he's not a top 10 pick.

I Also firmly believe in trading back in this draft if 2 and 26 can get us 1 pick inside the top 8 and another inside 15. That doesn't stop me wanting to bring our first round draft pick forward for the 22,23 and 24 drafts. From that pick 2 onwards it's a B+ midfielders draft with some very, very solid if unrealised key position talent at this stage. If Robertson comes in for 38 and lets face it, the lions and us have a very good trading partnership, he isn't worth the pick he was drafted with and if we trade out 26 in advance then Brisbane can't ask for it. So you stack the cards in our favour if he is asking for a trade and only have 38 as a relative pick to trade for him.

Next years draft has some high end talents and if we're looking for forward/mids there are looking to be quite a few highlighted so far by Jack Delean and Koltyn Tholstrup. In a much stronger draft I don't see a Sheezel type going top 2. If we're looking on pure talent I have him at 3 anyway behind Wardlaw and Keeler but Wardlaw's hamstrings are becoming more than worrysome. I know of 4 injuries (one was a straight reoccurance setback before playing) since the start of last offseason and it's wiped him from the board of who i'm working for. Keeler is such a huge, unrealised talent that could be anything but could also be a bust. Some more strength and size and he could be as good in the ruck as Ryder (despite his height disadvantage to modern rucks) and better forward. He could just as well be a Westhoff (I think his career is hugely underrated) or a better version of Blicavs maybe minus the extreme endurance or he could also be a bust but the sky is the limit.

Now potentially doing both could get us 3 picks inside the top 15 or 4 inside the to 18 all for mids plus Robertson and pick 20 for best available KPP. I think it's good business to take a KPP in this draft as it's littered with better than average quality forwards who have had down years plus a couple of rucks.

People know I can't discuss why Lemmey is no longer on my draft board but I would be tempted by Scully if Barnett is gone or on draft day looking to downgrade that pick 20 for two picks around 30 for Scully and Foster. Now to do all of the above we are going to have to cut deep into the list. Also Langdon whilst redrafting as a rookie would be fine. Delisting him is very grey in the rules after redrafting him. It would be easier to move him to the inactive list and then take an SSP pick if we wanted to go down that path. Clark can be moved to the rookie list as well but whilst I thought earlier in the season I read that players could actually from this season spend a 4th year on the rookie list I can't find anywhere in the rules stating a change or that, that is the case so it's looking like Jones has to be upgraded.

Last edited:
Watching Shuey this year - he's getting beaten in the midfield. Maybe fitness, maybe old legs, maybe column A/column B. But when he gets the ball he makes the right decisions and can hit targets lace out. Stands out like dogs balls. All these players everyone wants to "develop" just don't have these skills and probably never will.

Half back is a good move until we can draft someone with elite disposal and decision making. JJ is a temp solution. He's West off a HBF. Has a real crack but decision making and foot skills not up to it. People shouldn't confuse "having a crack" with "AFL standard footballer". He's just keeping that spot warm for someone better.
Yeah I agree with shueys skills.. But if you are going to use Yeo back use Shueys skills forwards....his roving goal a couple of weeks back was class

I think there is more upside with Yeo bigger body off half back than shuey...Use one off the back line not two

Bit harsh on JJ yes his disposals need to improve but at least he takes the game on back him in...we have nothing to lose

I would hate to see Hurn Shuey and Yeo play kick to kick in the backline next year...like we have done with our defence for the past 3 years

Shuey is probably still our best and smartest player in traffic, does things no one else can do and finds a target in limited space. He just doesn't have the run anymore. Half forward, pushing up to the middle and kicking to the forward line is probably the best use of him. Jones has real dash and I think he can be great for us off the HBF, he just needs to spend the summer working on his kicking. Decision making will come with time and confidence in the position.

Depends on your definition of any good.

And it isnt what you are saying so much as how you are saying it.

Not hard to see us improving on this season with the likes of Sheed, Allen, Yeo, Cole, Chesser and Gaff fit and contributing. 6 players is 1/3 of the starting lineup. The younger players improving from the unexpected development games they got this season.

We wont make the 8 but it isnt hard to see us not having a totally crap season like this one.

And that isnt mentioning any draftees or trades.

Its getting a tad annoying all the deppressed Eeyore types and the 'woe is us' attitudes TBH.

Nothing is as good nor as bad as it seems.
What depressed woe is us attitude.
We're shit, it's a factual statement based on the last 30 or so games of football and objectively evaluating our list.
There's nothing wrong with it, it's just the cyclical nature of football.
A few down years and we'll start to build towards another flag.
But there will be down years in the meantime. That's not a depressed attitude, it's reality.

Bazzo is a trainee KPD (he's taller than both Barrass and Gov). That means 3rd tall until he's ready to take over Gov's position. He's very composed at his age. It's already obvious he's a much better option that Edwards. Duggan and Cole are vying for a different position.

Yeah but we need pace coming our of the back half...look at other teams collingwood tiges etc...they attack from there backline with pace

Jones provides that yes I agree he needs to work on disposal .....I would much prefer Shuey up forward with stints in the middle ......

Shuey would be played there for his Kicking. I would suggest if these become strong words out of the club that Yeo is expected to be a full time mid next year and Shuey would be the one moving down back (similar to pendles)

I don't agree with it as he doesn't have the penetration of Yeo, the speed or the marking ability (he's not a mug mark but Yeo is exceptional for his height)

Jones first of all needs to retain a spot on the list which I consider likely but not a guarantee but I do think he has a potential role in the side. Yes his kicking can be sloppy but you're not getting players heading to the right spots and making repeated leads for the team up ahead of you then it's very hard to find a target unless your name is Lewis Jetta.

Jones just needs to spend the summer working on his kicking. Decision making will come with time and confidence in the position.
You generally can't learn decision making. Kicking, sometimes but not often.

You have a have a certain level of decision making and disposal to make it in the AFL. He doesn't have it and I reckon the club are well aware. It only took a few games for them to realise Naish was one of these.

Shuey isn’t a great 1 on 1 defender and that would worry me off half back as he could get exposed if sides find a way to isolate him against his direct opponent

I’d rather see him rotating off half forward with someone like Rioli

Yeah I agree with shueys skills.. But if you are going to use Yeo back use Shueys skills forwards....his roving goal a couple of weeks back was class

I think there is more upside with Yeo bigger body off half back than shuey...Use one off the back line not two

Bit harsh on JJ yes his disposals need to improve but at least he takes the game on back him in...we have nothing to lose

I would hate to see Hurn Shuey and Yeo play kick to kick in the backline next year...like we have done with our defence for the past 3 years
I'm fine with Shuey on the HFF flank too. But if you picture our next flag push and how we are looking how we want to play - we need elite skills in the back half to cut through lines in the corridor as opposed to going the boundary and getting slowed down. Jones just isn't that player. He'll be retained but I think the club know he will be phased out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back