List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I genuinely don't understand Hawthorn getting a D+ as while the trade they did with us was a bit lopsided I thought they brought in a lot of quality players.
Yeah, I thought they did well with this year's crop. Up there with the best hauls (Saints and Eagles I think also did pretty well). Obviously North did well, but bit hard not to with picks 2 and 3, think the selection of George for them was good, they have the time to get him back to fitness, don't need him to be firing for a few years. You'd mark the Hawks down a bit for the pick swap, but D+ is off.

Only really quickly browsed the draft action part.

Sort of funny.

Night 1 we were the undisputed heavy weight champions of the world.

Night 2 - well meh - we suck.

Whiplash it was :p

And when they are ready to they'll have Braeden Campbell at ruck, and these lads we've selected today available as KPPs to push us over the line.
Winning !
It may be the fact that you have no idea what the recruiting team have planned for the future. For all we know, a current ruck may have already agreed to come to us next year.
Do you really think that KB and co don't realise we need a ruck? I'm sure there is something in the wind.

I wonder how successful that strategy is, from a statistical perspective. I understand the concept... but sometimes with those pics I just think a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, that is to say... sure, someone with a later birthday is likely to have more potential, but sometimes exposed form trumps potential, especially when the potential isn't realised.

At the end of the day, the recruitment team have enough runs on the board, but sometimes it feels as though we're a little one-dimensional in our approach. I say that acknowledging that we've been pretty masterful in terms of tactical thinking, and thinking outside the square when ot comes to tactics, but I'd like to see that creativity applied to adjusting our approach at times.

All in all, can't be too critical given their successes.

You think that while we're good at the tactics of the draft we don't think outside the square enough when it comes to the actual selections/recruitment?? I think you came to the right place.

I said it before, we're not getting the best rucks or KPP while we're near the top of the ladder. So saying we'll just get some next year makes little sense. At some point you go for the best you can get.

Or you trade up next year (like GWS did this year) and get one.

Beatson made it pretty clear beforehand that we were happy to trade into the top 7 with our two picks to go after someone who could have been that tall.

We just didn’t have anyone bite.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sort of funny.

For me night 1 was "okay, not a massive need but I can get on board with a small forward with our first pick along as we address our needs with our next two picks"

For night 2 it was a realisation that we were not in fact going to address our needs.

For me night 1 was "okay, not a massive need but I can get on board with a small forward with our first pick along as we address our needs with our next two picks"

For night 2 it was a realisation that we were not in fact going to address our needs.

You can’t address a need if there is no one there to fit that need that you rate.

I think we made that pretty clear from well before the draft.

Sort of funny.

After the pick swap and bidding, then having the best ruck in the draft and some KPFs still available at 20 (with 27 to come), I was feeling pretty great. Then came Konstanty, who will likely be a great player, and was like, ok, maybe we get a ruck or KPF tomorrow.

Now it's like, maybeeee we get a ruck at least by the time the MSD ends next year.

You can’t address a need if there is no one there to fit that need that you rate.

We are gonna let Barrnet develop at WCE and get him in a few years like we do all our recent ruckmen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time will tell whether the 12 ruck or KPP types taken after our picks started, some by clubs that aren't slouches, are all busts.

No draft grade? How am I supposed to know how to feel without a draft grade?!?!?!
Perusing over some of the "grades" from the 2018 draft, we got B's across the board, and weren't listed as a 'winner' from any publication.

This excerpt from Fox Footy had me chuckling:

Collingwood were the only club who didn’t make a ‘live’ selection throughout the draft, opting to just match bids for Isaac Quaynor, Will Kelly and Atu Bosenavulagi.

But it was a great result that Quaynor’s bid didn’t come inside the top 10, as some had feared. ("Great result"? Fox Footy letting the work experience kid who's a Pies fan do the printing again.)

When AFL Academy member Curtis Taylor slide down the draft order, North Melbourne thought it was too good to refuse and traded up to secure the half forward with Pick 46. Taylor was invited to the draft on Thursday night, indicating a team inside the first round was considering selecting him.

GWS lost midfielders during the trade period and were able to grab three first round stars in Jye Caldwell, Jackson Hately and Xavier O’Halloran. (Traded, traded, bust.)

They then got creative and moved up the draft order to start day two, able to secure West Australian Ian Hill, who is as damaging as they come.

The second cousin of Bradley and Stephen Hill was talked about being a possible top 10 pick at the start of the year and “Bobby” gives the Giants a different element in their already strong forward line. (Traded)

As it stands, for 2024 we have only McAndrew as a ruck (probably not ready) and no KPFs outside of the 22, which will need to include Ladhams, Amartey, McLean and one of Gould/Francis already.

First, it's too soon to talk about 2024 - there's a trade period between now and then, as well as a draft, SSP and MSD. Even in the drafts there are options that are touted as plug and play, like Ethan Phillips. Clearly our recruiters didn't see him as worth the punt but that hasn't stopped you saying you would have drafted talls anyway - but we'll still get our chance. I'm confident we have a plan.

Second, you appear to be assuming that Reid will be gone or past it in 2024. I don't think we can be so sure.

Third, I wouldn't want to do it for a whole season but playing matches with only one tall forward, instead of two or three, is not such a crazy thing in my opinion. Especially not when we have great mediums like Heeney and Hayward. By 2024 HHK may also be another option.

Fourth, as previously noted, we have the option of swinging one of the McCartins or Francis forward. I think the club is on record saying that we took Francis because we think he has the tools to play down back. I also think it would be a shame to move Tom back forward - but Paddy is a real - and strong - option.

So while I agree that (a) we have a clear need for talls, especially KPFs; and (b) those players take longer to develop so we need to get them in sooner if we want to have them playing in the forseeable future, I'm still not too troubled by the club's approach. I think we have a team of the best in the business oversighted by more of the best in the business and I really have faith that they know what they're doing. Sometimes it's a pity they don't do a better job of explaining it to us.

First, it's too soon to talk about 2024 - there's a trade period between now and then, as well as a draft, SSP and MSD. Even in the drafts there are options that are touted as plug and play, like Ethan Phillips. Clearly our recruiters didn't see him as worth the punt but that hasn't stopped you saying you would have drafted talls anyway - but we'll still get our chance. I'm confident we have a plan.

Second, you appear to be assuming that Reid will be gone or past it in 2024. I don't think we can be so sure.

Third, I wouldn't want to do it for a whole season but playing matches with only one tall forward, instead of two or three, is not such a crazy thing in my opinion. Especially not when we have great mediums like Heeney and Hayward. By 2024 HHK may also be another option.

Fourth, as previously noted, we have the option of swinging one of the McCartins or Francis forward. I think the club is on record saying that we took Francis because we think he has the tools to play down back. I also think it would be a shame to move Tom back forward - but Paddy is a real - and strong - option.

So while I agree that (a) we have a clear need for talls, especially KPFs; and (b) those players take longer to develop so we need to get them in sooner if we want to have them playing in the forseeable future, I'm still not too troubled by the club's approach. I think we have a team of the best in the business oversighted by more of the best in the business and I really have faith that they know what they're doing. Sometimes it's a pity they don't do a better job of explaining it to us.
I think we can no longer rely on Reid. He did well to play so much this year.

Agree on your 3rd and 4th points. The club however shows no sign it wants to do anything but 3 talls up forward, so it'll throw us off if we need to suddenly change it up due to injury. I've said before I'd be ok with one of the McCartins going forward if we had the required backline, but it's not something that's popular on here. Tom was on track as a good KPF before desperation forced us to play him back.

My main concern is the ruck anyway, then KPF, then KPD. Based on what we have at our disposal.

Last edited:
I am a bit dirty on Reid to be honest as he knew he was not fit but still put his hand up to play in the Grand Final.
Eh, he might have felt ok, but something went wrong early. I feel like it's on coaches to pick the team ultimately.

But, he's just had one of his fuller seasons, and 31 at season start, so with his history I don't think we can take anything as a given. If he's fit for another year or two, that's a bonus.

I am a bit dirty on Reid to be honest as he knew he was not fit but still put his hand up to play in the Grand Final.
I'll say this on Reid: His best form was rucking. We even looked really good when he rucked. If he couldn't ruck, he should not have played. He had 0 ruck contests in the GF from memory

DQ, can you tell us anything about Harry Cole from Claremont? He's the type of player I can see us picking.

EDWARDS JOINS US AS A CAT B

ANOTHER 14 players have been drafted by clubs under Academy rules as category B rookies after they were overlooked in the national NAB AFL Draft

The list includes three players who join clubs as northern Academy players – Lloyd Johnston at the Suns, Nick Madden at the Giants and William Edwards at the Swans – and nine players as Next Generation Academy rookie pre-selections
DOB 8 May 2003 197cm 100kg

A tall defender who is a super athletic type and has the size and mobility to match the opposition's main marking target, which he demonstrated playing for both the Sydney Swans Academy and the Allies this year. He is still developing his footy IQ, but he can take a strong contested mark and shows good rebound ability with his speed. Very impressive at the State Draft Combine held in Victoria, with his elite speed demonstrated with a time of 2.88 seconds for the 20m sprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back