Shield Round 8: Tasmania vs Western Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm fine with the timing. 100 odd overs to bowl them out, a draw would be on the bowlers not this declaration.

He’s certainly strong at working on and improving his game,
Going on what I saw today he has toiled well on his spin play. Liked how he was positive never letting Freeman settle into a rythm, used his feet to get to the pitch if driving and generally used all of the crease to play off both back and front foot if pushing singles/twos. If I have one small critique it is his need to defend more on the front foot to smother any turn, as he mostly played back on his stumps and looked rushed and a touch uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Why leave it so tight?
Surely 400 was more that enough.

I'd rather an extra 25 overs at them if need be.
Worst case scenario we can't bwol them out. 400 in 150 overs becomes possible for Tas.
500 in 120 overs isn't. Gotta take the loss out of the equation when your top of the table

Last 10 overs yielded 73 runs. If they declared after 90 they'd be defending 430 still and had 130 overs to get 10 wickets. Tassie may have chased that too, thus creating more chances. They won't chase this now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worst case scenario we can't bwol them out. 400 in 150 overs becomes possible for Tas.
500 in 120 overs isn't. Gotta take the loss out of the equation when your top of the table
It was the wrong choice. 430 in 130 was on offer. That was the perfect one. Dangle the hint of a win (still need to go at 3.4 an over) and get them playing more aggressively. Tassie can shut up shop now, a draw keeps them alive and as a Victorian I couldn't be happier about Whiteman's decision. If Tassie get the draw then we simply have to win the last two to host.

That shot early in his innings is so uncharacteristic for Tim Ward. Seems he and Jewell were told to go after the bowling. Not sure these are very smart tactics.

Tassie imploding. Bloody awful tactics.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back