Autopsy Cats lose to Freo by 29 in Perth.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's hard to put anyone in the best. Our forwards and defenders were beaten as well
not to the same extend as our midfield:
Holmes 13 touches, 5 clangers
Bruhn 19 touches, 9 clangers
Blicavs 18 touches, 5 clangers
Atkins 12 touches, 5 clangers

Serong 28 touches, 2 clangers
Brayshaw 29 touches, 3 clangers
O'Meara 26 touches, 4 clangers
Fyfe, 17 touches, 4 clangers

Lucky we didnt lose by a lot more.

Exactly. And it’s also taking a toll, players having to try and make up for the people we are missing. They are having a crack but looked very tired in the last quarter.

They are tired..i have no doubt we have one or two older guys who are playing injured or needing a rest (tuohy is definitely one of those) who are putting their hand up because we have so many injuries. Once danger and the others are back and those guys can have a week or two's rest i think we will see much better team performance particularly in 4th qtrs. And we have been in every game up until the 4th qtr.

not to the same extend as our midfield:
Holmes 13 touches, 5 clangers
Bruhn 19 touches, 9 clangers
Blicavs 18 touches, 5 clangers
Atkins 12 touches, 5 clangers

Serong 28 touches, 2 clangers
Brayshaw 29 touches, 3 clangers
O'Meara 26 touches, 4 clangers
Fyfe, 17 touches, 4 clangers

Lucky we didnt lose by a lot more.
Not that unexpected though, their list has no one under 50 games where ours is half sub-50 gamers.

Edit: For those playing at home, this post is specifically referring to the contested mid rotations listed not the whole team

Last edited:
They are tired..i have no doubt we have one or two older guys who are playing injured or needing a rest (tuohy is definitely one of those) who are putting their hand up because we have so many injuries. Once danger and the others are back and those guys can have a week or two's rest i think we will see much better team performance particularly in 4th qtrs. And we have been in every game up until the 4th qtr.
Yes for sure. That’s a good point- we actually have been hanging in for most of the game.
Cameron can’t be right- he never plays as poorly as last two weeks- maybe he just missed goals he’d normally get? Suspect Hawkins isn’t right. Tuohy. Kolo looks a bit off. Who knows?
Plenty of upside if we can get a few wins, whilst still a bit undermanned, like next week. Just means we have to be near full strength and able to knock off a couple of good teams later in season- dees at k.park. Pies at the g! I’d love to play them with a fit team.

Last edited:
I don't think we played that bad a game, it was more that reality hit. We took a midfield rotation that wouldn't have been too out of place in a VFL game, and we only lost by 5 goals and we were pretty close for most of the game. Had a few things gone a little differently we could have stolen the lead early in the 4th.

The post Danger era could be painful. We'll need to find something to create an instant boost in that area otherwise we're going to be a bottom team pretty quickly. Our next few players aren't ready for the responsibility. We're not privy to the expectations of the MC. On watching there wasn't really a phase of play that was to our advantage. Yet for all of their dominance of the ball, they didn't get too much from it.

In the short term a touch of class will have a flow on affect into other areas. My current feeling is if we can get the engine room working the rest of our positions will do the job.

Disappointing but not surprising. Extremely hard to beat a decent in-form team on their turf, with little midfield horse power to generate chances and assist defence.

No apparent injuries and games into Bruhn and Knevitt, Close, Stengle and Jack H back. Take the positives and move on.

Geelong are a long way behind the Pies, Port, Lions, Dogs and Dees, the injuries have taken their toll and they have been unable to replace them. The big problem is Geelong has to play the top 5 teams in the second half of the season including Port and the Dogs twice! The best we can hope for is a finish somewhere between 10th and 6th. My tip is 9th if they're lucky.

I don't think we played that bad a game, it was more that reality hit. We took a midfield rotation that wouldn't have been too out of place in a VFL game, and we only lost by 5 goals and we were pretty close for most of the game. Had a few things gone a little differently we could have stolen the lead early in the 4th.

The post Danger era could be painful. We'll need to find something to create an instant boost in that area otherwise we're going to be a bottom team pretty quickly.

The worrying thing is, dipping down the ladder around 2025-28 would be the worst possible timing given the impending entry of Tasmania into the league.

Selwood gone, Danger injured, we are rudderless and it amplifies why Danger was the best choice as captain to anyone who may have thought differently.

Stewart didn't have his best night, and his body language was a bit flat too - he's too good not to bounce back though.

I thought Blicavs and Hawkins took up the onfield leadership, Smith too. Atkins leads by example.

Dangerfield, Duncan, Guthrie; we are missing a ton of experience that we can usually count on to share the load.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does that have to do with the conversation you intruded upon? Surely it was contextually obvious that the "lists" CatToTheFuture was referring to were the two lists of midfielders cited by Warhorse.
Yeah **** I read list as team list. Should probably just stick to my own board.

The worrying thing is, dipping down the ladder around 2025-28 would be the worst possible timing given the impending entry of Tasmania into the league.

That's a pretty large window, I'm not too worried about that timing. Right now we're building with less. If we're that bad in that time we'll be rebuilding with more than most.

There's 2 drafts and trade periods between now and then.

This time 2 draft/trade periods ago we still had a backline held up by Harry Taylor, we had no Stengle or Cameron, Close was a recent draftee without a senior game until later in the year and so out forward line was basically Hawkins treating marking contests like ruck hit outs aimed at Ablett with Atkins blocking for him.

We need a bit to go right, but we always do

Geelong are a long way behind the Pies, Port, Lions, Dogs and Dees, the injuries have taken their toll and they have been unable to replace them. The big problem is Geelong has to play the top 5 teams in the second half of the season including Port and the Dogs twice! The best we can hope for is a finish somewhere between 10th and 6th. My tip is 9th if they're lucky.
What a complete and utter shock to see this bottom feeder crawl out of his cave to shit on the side after a loss... I am shocked to be sitting here

There's 2 drafts and trade periods between now and then.

This time 2 draft/trade periods ago we still had a backline held up by Harry Taylor, we had no Stengle or Cameron, Close was a recent draftee without a senior game until later in the year and so out forward line was basically Hawkins treating marking contests like ruck hit outs aimed at Ablett with Atkins blocking for him.

Fair point!

Dempsey has been awful since coming on, sub needs to make an impact he has not. Looked slow and out of legs when he should be fresh and full of run.
He's simply not Afl standard at this point

I am a bit surprised that this is the point you highlight out a game where we were beaten all over the ground. The “older” players I understand some critics but they youNiger ones are not why wer are losing…

If you watch AFL closely every good player looks “gased” a lot after every play. For a goal or out of bounds they have hands one hips or knees as they are stuffed. Every play is full on. What the fit ones do is look stuffed again and again. In first qtr and last.

I thought Dempsey fit that bill. Yes he looked tired but he worked massively hard each play. Just look at stats on the game in terms of average speed.

Overally Dempsey had nothing to do with win or loss so your comments seemed strange. and a bit naive in terms of how players look after each play phase. Fitness isnt about whether you are tired…but whether you can be tired multiple times in a row. From what I saw is Dempsey is the screen lots of time…

Attachments

• IMG_3635.jpeg
    IMG_3635.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3634.jpeg
    IMG_3634.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 53

Where do you sit on Bews PO?
Is he in the ''needs a rest'' category?
Looks to have lost a yard, and barely got off the ground in a marking contest early in the game. He's never been a rebounding defender, but at his best he has been capable of repeat efforts defensively, and the odd dash or three. Plus the obligatory OOBOTF.
Trouble is, if he is rested at some stage (sounds a little euphemistic) then who does his niche job in his absence? Oscar Murdoch or Oisin Mullin? It's a tricky spot to cover.

Cameron looks like he's coasting compared to earlier in the year. He could be playing injured or he's lost some fitness. Maybe not getting enough sleep. He needs to get back on track for Geelong to have any chance.

Let's not go all doomsday. We're not lacking talent, we're lacking experience.

I have full faith that our young midfield will be fine in the long term, but they're just not ready to be 1a and 1b right now. They're all used to being in the second rotation and not copping attention.

We're another first round midfielder away, but the the bones of it are there.

If it can happen to Tim Kelly after a near Brownlow season, then it can happen to kids. It's experience, not talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back