Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Where do you get this information?
Trade secret!

Nah, I have my own reports running which are updated regularly from AFL Player Statistics and other sources.

The rating system is Champion Data's and you can also find that on the AFL desktop site by using the MyStats feature.

Trade secret!

Nah, I have my own reports running which are updated regularly from AFL Player Statistics and other sources.

The rating system is Champion Data's and you can also find that on the AFL desktop site by using the MyStats feature.

Thanks. I'm into all the stats and play Supercoach religiously, but those general players rankings have always slipped past me.

Thanks. I'm into all the stats and play Supercoach religiously, but those general players rankings have always slipped past me.
They've been used for a while now, but only available on a game by game basis recently. The old player ranking system on the AFL website used the sum of these rankings from a player's previous 2 seasons worth of games. The site I linked in there is pretty much all you'll need.

Dermie, amongst his verbiage yesterday, actually made a decent comparison of the duke to dipper and his ability to barge through packs with the ball ahead of him, then execute perfectly. Pretty good comparison actually.
I didn’t notice duke in the centre clearances all that much in the third quarter and that’s when the saints started to get on top in that area.
He’s that important to us.
Agree thought it was a very good comparison by Dermie. Very similar playing style. Love it.

imagine nominating a 3 year deal at the MSD and then that's considered unders.
You'd throw him an $800k a year contract now without blinking IMO. No second thoughts at all.

The crazy part about Jai's progression from last year to this year is that he went from a high turnover, high clanger but high impact player, to a player with the same or greater impact, but with far fewer turnovers and clangers.

Amongst players in the top 10 rated in the league he is:

2nd for Kicking Efficiency with 68.2% (Daicos 1st with 75.1%)
2nd for Disposal Efficiency with 75.7% (Daicos 1st with 79%)
2nd for fewest turnovers with 3.7 per game (Daicos 1st with 3.6)

He's only second because Daicos is in there, and Daicos is the only player in there who isn't strictly a midfielder. Could turn out to be the strongest Rising Star class in history.

The crazy part about Jai's progression from last year to this year is that he went from a high turnover, high clanger but high impact player, to a player with the same or greater impact, but with far fewer turnovers and clangers.

Amongst players in the top 10 rated in the league he is:

2nd for Kicking Efficiency with 68.2% (Daicos 1st with 75.1%)
2nd for Disposal Efficiency with 75.7% (Daicos 1st with 79%)
2nd for fewest turnovers with 3.7 per game (Daicos 1st with 3.6)

He's only second because Daicos is in there, and Daicos is the only player in there who isn't strictly a midfielder. Could turn out to be the strongest Rising Star class in history.
He always seems to take the right option. Uses his strength well to buy him a second of time to work out what the best way to dispose of the ball.

A lot of other mids just don’t have the luxury of being able to walk through tackles like he does.

Jai continues to climb up the ranking ladder as the season goes on, he his now the 9th highest ranking player in the AFL with over 5 games played this season.
Of those he's 4th overall for rating points per disposal. (Bont, Rowell and Mason Wood marginally higher)

If it scales linearly then he'd be on top of the board if he can find it another 5 times per game. Most of the top mids on that chart are averaging 3-5 more disposals than him already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going a bit early to say he's a tier below elite.

Was there a better mid on the park this week?
You only say he is a tier below elite so that when he shows us his final form we don't need to come up with another category above that.....

At the moment he is "Duke" Above Average.

You only say he is a tier below elite so that when he shows us his final form we don't need to come up with another category above that.....

At the moment he is "Duke" Above Average.

Really feel like he has another gear or two to come... going to be something special for all of us when that happens. Hell, it's special now if I'm honest.

I mean currently...

What he is producing is incredible I just posed whether he could get there. I think he can btw
I reckon by what can be measured, he already is. Potentially still a rung below the guys at their absolute peak in Bont, Oliver and Petracca but he'd definitely be with the guys posed to be the next wave like Serong, Butters and Anderson. That all just boils down to age and maturity really.

Of those he's 4th overall for rating points per disposal. (Bont, Rowell and Mason Wood marginally higher)

If it scales linearly then he'd be on top of the board if he can find it another 5 times per game. Most of the top mids on that chart are averaging 3-5 more disposals than him already.
Just give him the kickouts like Daicos.

Who are the Elite that your referring to that Jai is a tier below?
In my eyes he is the ELITE
You’ve got your stand out elite mids. Oliver, Bont, Petracca, Neale and Cripps (at his best). Then there’s a group below that filled with more your JDG, Laird, Brayshaw, Cogs (this year) types going for AA. All trying to move into that top group.

Then you’ve got a chasing group where I think Duke sits with a lot of younger with LDU, Rozee, Butters, Anderson, Warner and a few more of those sorts of guys. Rozee and Butters probably end up in the 2 group soon if not already.

Some of the younger guys have had better performances so far than Duke but he’s rapidly closing in.

He continues on as he has been and he ends up elite. He’s just not quite there yet, he’s only 21 after all.

Then you’ve got a chasing group where I think Duke sits with a lot of younger with LDU, Rozee, Butters, Anderson, Warner and a few more of those sorts of guys. Rozee and Butters probably end up in the 2 group soon if not already.

He's more consistent than that group but so far hasn't had the massive, singular performance all of them have had this season.

It's coming though. Gather round wasn't far off it, but our other mids cashed in alongside him that day too.

Also, not sure if it's still the 'headf#$%*d by Hawthorn' mentality playing a part, but Chad Warner is smashing Duke in a 'which player would you take?' poll over on the polls board. Expected it to be a bit closer. Their career stats are amazingly similar to this point.

Last edited:
Tier below the elite, but hes going beautifully. Can he become a match winner & a clutch player like I think Day can?

Day needs to work on his kicking in particular, he's been turnover prone this season. What was once considered a strength has become an area that he needs to improve on. Newcombe, despite playing a more contested game, doesn't have this issue IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back