Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Was that his first game getting tagged? Takes a while to learn how to break one. We really need Day back though, so if he does get tagged, Day can still run wild.
Was tagged against the saints back in 2022.

Can’t recall another tag since then off the top of my head though.

Was tagged against the saints back in 2022.

Can’t recall another tag since then off the top of my head though.
Did really well in that saints game pushing forward and kicking goals.

Also while he wasn't at his peak against Essendon he still had 21 disposals and 300 meters gained. Compared to Nick Daicos when tagged gets 5 disposals (1 from kick-out 2 from free kicks). Essentially 1 handball from a centre bounce when Finn wasn't on him and 1 mark and shank kick when he went forward.

Mids like him are often described as “bulls” to the point it’s lost meaning.

But the way he was playing in the 4th quarter against the Pies was as bull-like as it gets.

There was one bit of play where there was a loose ball on the ground toward the boundary with lots of players around. He pretty much jumped on it with his hands and swung his legs around toward the boundary so he could then rip it off the ground and charge back in board.

Not to mention seeing red and getting stuck into anyone who dared get within reaching distance of him.

Not sure what did it but the beast was awoken in him in the second half. I could hear the DOOM music.

I genuinely still can't believe this guy is only 22

Can be one of the best mids in the comp and I think Sam Mitchell mentioned after the game, he lifts the entire team when he gets going like he did on Sunday. Things begin to happen and everyone joins in.

Can be one of the best mids in the comp and I think Sam Mitchell mentioned after the game, he lifts the entire team when he gets going like he did on Sunday. Things begin to happen and everyone joins in.
Just put pictures of Tom Mitchell in his locker and we are set.

Loved watching him get angry though, really set the tone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back