Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

2nd in the league by percentage for a player taking a mark from his inside 50’s.

Miers (47.5%), Duke (30.8%), Danger 30.0%, McCluggage (28.6%), Zorko (28.2%) is the top 5.
Amazing when you consider that 4 of the other players this list have 4 of the top 6 goal kickers in the league at their disposal. Duke on the other hand...

Maybe he got Mackenzie and Newcombe confused.

(Right down to the unexpected chase-down flying tackle)
MacKenzie definitely plays similar to older Mitchell.

In the league from what little I remember of early Mitchell I’d say he plays most similar to Rowell currently. Lots of contested possessions and clearances by cracking in hard with a lack of leg speed.

Watching Newcombe I see a bit of Wines from port. Using his strength around the ball. Doesn’t quite have the ball winning of a young Wines at the contest just yet but balances it out by being a better kick.

MacKenzie definitely plays similar to older Mitchell.

In the league from what little I remember of early Mitchell I’d say he plays most similar to Rowell currently. Lots of contested possessions and clearances by cracking in hard with a lack of leg speed.

Watching Newcombe I see a bit of Wines from port. Using his strength around the ball. Doesn’t quite have the ball winning of a young Wines at the contest just yet but balances it out by being a better kick.
Not just a better kick but he's an actually really good kick, damaging per possession. Whilst Wines is a butcher, completely.

It's been said by a fair few including myself, Newcombe is very similar to Petracca and his style of play.

Not just a better kick but he's an actually really good kick, damaging per possession. Whilst Wines is a butcher, completely.

It's been said by a fair few including myself, Newcombe is very similar to Petracca and his style of play.
Petracca uses his speed to burst away from the contest where Newcombe uses his strength like Wines does.

Newcombe is also more a work hard all game getting the ball and getting it forward similar to Wines. Than the break the lines style of Petracca.

His kicking is much better than Wines yes. But the rest of his game is stylistically very similar.

Petracca uses his speed to burst away from the contest where Newcombe uses his strength like Wines does.

Newcombe is also more a work hard all game getting the ball and getting it forward similar to Wines. Than the break the lines style of Petracca.

His kicking is much better than Wines yes. But the rest of his game is stylistically very similar.
Newcombe uses both imho, and Petracca does aswell.

It's a combo of strength & explosiveness, which Newcombe does both, Wines is purely strength and dishes out by hand alot, but he also gets separation for long kicks through his strength. Wines is a bigger Worpel.

Newcombe breaks lines, like Petracca, in that style. Again in my opinion it's very similar to Petracca, whereas Worpel is more so what Wines is.

Newcombe uses both imho, and Petracca does aswell.

It's a combo of strength & explosiveness, which Newcombe does both, Wines is purely strength and dishes out by hand alot, but he also gets separation for long kicks through his strength. Wines is a bigger Worpel.

Newcombe breaks lines, like Petracca, in that style. Again in my opinion it's very similar to Petracca, whereas Worpel is more so what Wines is.
Personally, Newcombe gets space by breaking tackles, that buys him time to get the handball away if there is a second tackler in the area or run with the ball if there isn’t. Newcombe can’t outrun people like Petracca can. When he does find himself free it’s generally due to his endurance.

Also from my watching of Newcombe handballs a lot in traffic and kicks when he gets uncontested ball. His higher contested games seem to lead to a lot more handballs.

Whereas Worpel gets himself into trouble when he’s stationary around the ball and plays much better while he is on the move.

Personally, Newcombe gets space by breaking tackles, that buys him time to get the handball away if there is a second tackler in the area or run with the ball if there isn’t. Newcombe can’t outrun people like Petracca can. When he does find himself free it’s generally due to his endurance.

Also from my watching of Newcombe handballs a lot in traffic and kicks when he gets uncontested ball. His higher contested games seem to lead to a lot more handballs.

Whereas Worpel gets himself into trouble when he’s stationary around the ball and plays much better while he is on the move.
I see your point but i do disagree, obviously he doesn't have the speed of Petracca, no one really does. But he does have endurance that Petracca won't have because he builds his game more on his naturally gifted speed and agility.

Newcombe does still break away due to his pace and explosiveness, and he still is quick, he does it alot, and he's really good on the outside, both in that but also his ball use, decision making and smarts.

But yeah, Newcombe does often, in congestion, break away by breaking tackles and with his strength, but he uses his explosiveness aswell as that to get separation. Perhaps first separation is made through strength, but he explodes away often, and it's usually after the first break. It's a great combination to have.

100%, but i feel that wasn't the case last year, as he would rather just bully it forward. He's able to bully traffic and get it to players in better positions, instead of doing "too much" which is a sign of a good smart footballer imho. I think it's slowly building it all together, the next step is turning his contested games into games where he's able to use his kicking more aswell, but also still finding plenty of outside ball. So being a ball winner, inside & outside, while having a genuine forward threat with his marking, size and strength. But also his explosiveness and xfactor forward of centre.

Worpel is very much a smaller Wines, he fights for the ball and uses his strength to get it to players by hand, although he isn't alike him because he isn't big enough to do what Wines does, instead he hits contests at speed, and tries to break away aswell with speed to kick it long, Worpel doesn't have the kicking prowess tho which lets him down, if he did. He'd be a genuine superstar.

I like the Riccuito comparison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back