Free Agency Jade Gresham [Joins Essendon as RFA]

Does he stay or does he go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

In what way is Shiel linked to the Gresham trade? We don't need the cap space. A list spot that we could create by delisting Snelling?
I've explained my positioning on the last page and for how the two players are linked by what is being reported in the media.

Saints are pursuing Shiel to form part of a trade to St.Kilda to acquire his contract to provide additional cap space to Essendon to up the offer proposed to Gresham to get Band 1 compensation.

Gubby and SOS have obviously seen an opportunity to take a big contract over from a player who didn't get a look in at senior level due to form/injury/selection across the second half of 2022. A player who is 31 by the start of next season (?) and who on the face of it isn't in their forward plans.

It gives Essendon a great opportunity to retructure their TPP and be really competitive in the Trade and FA space across the next two off seasons, or strongly commit to the significant talent that is already on the list.

All for the sake of a bloke who is nearing the end.

I've explained my positioning on the last page and for how the two players are linked by what is being reported in the media.

Saints are pursuing Shiel to form part of a trade to St.Kilda to acquire his contract to provide additional cap space to Essendon to up the offer proposed to Gresham to get Band 1 compensation.

Gubby and SOS have obviously seen an opportunity to take a big contract over from a player who didn't get a look in at senior level due to form/injury/selection across the second half of 2022. A player who is 31 by the start of next season (?) and who on the face of it isn't in their forward plans.

It gives Essendon a great opportunity to retructure their TPP and be really competitive in the Trade and FA space across the next two off seasons, or strongly commit to the significant talent that is already on the list.

It has been well reported that Essendon already have a sh*t load of cap space and are one of the few clubs who don't have CBA linked pay rises written into their existing contracts so have even more money to work with moving forward.

The argument that they would pay Gresham more for multiple years to get a 1 year contract off their books when they dont have any salary cap pressure doesn't make a lot of sense if you look beyond the want to get pick 13.

It has been well reported that Essendon already have a sh*t load of cap space and are one of the few clubs who don't have CBA linked pay rises written into their existing contracts so have even more money to work with moving forward.

The argument that they would pay Gresham more for multiple years to get a 1 year contract off their books when they dont have any salary cap pressure doesn't make a lot of sense if you look beyond the want to get pick 13.
Exactly. Us trading Shiel would be because he wants a crack at a flag.

Everyone asking why Essedon would over pay for Gresham. The answer is simple - St Kilda are planning to match anything that falls short of band 1 compensation.

If that happens then Essendon would have to trade for Gresham and this impacts their draft hand. vs getting Grtesham at no cost.

St Kilda are offering a token trade for Dylan Shiel so that Essendon have the extra space to bump up Gresham's contract. Yes, Im aware they have heaps in the cap but the Saints are going to push for Gresham to get up to 300k more than Essendon planned.

If Essendon do the deal they essentially trade Shiel for Gresham + a late pick. Win for Essendon.
If St Kilda do the deal then they swap Gresham + late pick for Shiel + pick 13. Win for St Kilda.
If the deal isn't done then St Kilda plan on keeping Gresham on the reduced salary set by Essendon.

Whether the AFL allow all this is another matter. Adelaide would rightly question it all given a similar deal was proposed for Crouch coming to the Saints. The AFL then handicapped themselves by allowing the Suns to offload Jack Bowes' contract last year.

I expect the AFL to allow it though, in order to open up more player movements through 'salary dumping'.
Yeah I don't think they rate gresham that highly, I think if pick 13 wasn't going back to essendon they'd watch you match the Gresham deal and offer a 3rd rounder and if you weren't happy with it.. they'd walk leaving you stuck with overpaying Gresham for another few years

Again, we match to keep, not to trade.

If Gresham and his management has gone through this entire exercise to get a $600k contract from someone else, then we may keep him on those terms. The club has said they want to, and if the request is that paltry, then I think we would think long and hard about it.

Essendon don't want that scenario, they want their man. 27 won't cut it. FA will.

Gresham is leaving St Kilda. That is obvious. You won’t be matching to keep him.

Lol Gresham is worth nothing and saints have one of the worst midfields in the comp. 27 and shiel is a gift for Gresham. Gresham is dog s**t
if you really think that maybe better you find another team,as your way at odds with the people running the bombers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon can barely hit the cap floor. They dont need to shed shiel.

People are getting very worked up over a John Ralph snippet.

Fact is the deal makes little sense for either club so either there is more to it or Ralph is off the mark.

The former is possible. I can imagine both Silvagni and Dodoro trying to rort the system but it would obviously have to work for both clubs.

Shiel is next to worthless in a trade and at the same time though, he's hardly holding the Bombers back with only one year to run on his contract.

I see no way the Saints handing over 13 for him and it's very unlikely we also end up woth 13 unless there is something of note going back to the Bombers for upping the Gresham contract.

In the end I doubt any of it eventuates so we can probably all just take a chill pill.

Last edited:
Pay up for Band 1

Thats roughly a better 20-22 pick value worth for the Saints

They then owe that back to Essendon for Shiel in a trade, dons can help with a bit of his salary if needed

Out: Gresham
In: Shiel, Pick 27, F2

Out: Shiel, 27, F2
In: Gresham, 13

Pay up for Band 1

They then owe that back to Essendon for Shiel in a trade, dons can help with a bit of his salary if needed

Jesus, how do you think Sheil is worth anything mate ?!. He is cooked.

Pay up for Band 1

Lol.

I read the Ralph article as just him trying to work out a way saints could get pick 13 while he was having a few drinks. He didn't think it through logically as he seemed to think Essendon have a salary squeeze and there is no reason for Bombers to push Shiel out the door since he only has a year left anyway. In other words he's just making stuff up.

They don’t have to but do you really want to have a player that’s struggling to get a game as one of your highest paid players
He hasn't played vfl once since joining the club. Please explain how that translates to "struggling to get a game"?

We are getting two second rounders along with Shiel in that deal.

You are spot on Shiel is worthless, but getting 2 second round picks for Gresham is a win.

While we trade the Pick 13 we get for Gresham back to the Bombers ?!.

Some brothers be smoking crack.

Back