Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

I still think North trade picks with WCE.
North give pick 3 plus others that WCE accept.
In terms of the first six players drafted, I think it will go like this:
1 - North. Reid
2 - GCS. Walter
3 - North. McKercher
4 - WCE. Curtin
5 - Hawks. Duursma
6 - Dogs. Watson

Dees throwing the absolute sink at our pick 4. They want Wiz. What will we do?
If they want the Wiz that badly I'll take whatever their throwing out. I'll be surprised if they couldn't get him with their current pick 6. Why they want 4 is more likely for Curtin.

When you watch it he says clubs with the top 6 won’t trade them
Was it this or did he say that in another part?
Beatson revealed the Swans had also been exploring options to trade up the draft order but hit a brick wall with teams sitting on prime selections.

"We have. (It is) really unlikely I would say, especially at the pointy end. No.1 to No.6 I'd say it's a categoric 'no'. From then on it will depend, but more unlikely," he said.

For me, Curtin has a lot of traits that scream good afl player. Not star. Similar to Scrim for us

Yup, if you added awareness, evasiveness, a true side step, acceleration, far better passer to advantage by foot, excellent reading of the play, working back to get into marking contests and being able to pluck them in multiple ways that doesn't include two arms straight up and slight ducking of the head, quick decision making, consistency, leadership, good below the knees, and much better running athlete......to Scrim, they'd be almost the same player.;)

I definitely see some of the similarities of gait and body shape when setting up for a long sweeping left foot though.

If they want the Wiz that badly I'll take whatever their throwing out. I'll be surprised if they couldn't get him with their current pick 6. Why they want 4 is more likely for Curtin.
They know he doesn't get passed the Dogs if we don't take him.

They want Wiz.

Yup, if you added awareness, evasiveness, a true side step, acceleration, far better passer to advantage by foot, excellent reading of the play, working back to get into marking contests and being able to pluck them in multiple ways that doesn't include two arms straight up and slight ducking of the head, quick decision making, consistency, leadership, good below the knees, and much better running athlete......to Scrim, they'd be almost the same player.;)

I definitely see some of the similarities of gait and body shape when setting up for a long sweeping left foot though.
I'm not trying to be inflammatory but you have pretty much just listed all of scrims traits sans leadership

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not trying to be inflammatory but you have pretty much just listed all of scrims traits sans leadership

Really?
Fair enough, we are seeing the same player through completely different eyes.
I reckon Scrim's awareness is poor, not even average for an AFL player. Gets caught or rushed because he's got no idea of what's surrounding him.
Good below the knees? You'd back Scrim to pick up a bumbling ball off the deck at anything more than a stroll?
I like Scrim in the air, certainly when he's confident, but his one wood is putting his arms straight up with a bit of a straight jump.
He's got nothing like the nous in the air that Sicily does by using his body to subtly move opponents and packs, so that he'll mark it in any number of ways. That's what Curtin has I reckon, very clever at finding a marking advantage.
Scrim's not consistent. Scrim's not a quick decision maker. His kicking, while looking pretty and seeming like it should be incredibly advantageous, too often doesn't give his teammate a true advantage....
And he can absolutely not go up and down the park all game like young Dan.

I like Scrim, truly. I've pulled for him to be considered a more integral part of the Hawks unit and at times he looks every bit a top 6-8 player in the team.
But I reckon this Curtin lad has him well and truly covered going into his first year.

Yeah me too..we need an F2 to trade our F1 aswell so I think the deal would have to be 6,11 and an F2.
sounds about right. whoever is in premiership window can afford to that, we are building up, need to fill mutiple positions. I wonder what Nth are going to do with their 5 top 20 picks, I wonder why they did not approach them.

I wouldn't be worrying too much about the merit of the Dees offer and whether or not we'll take it.

The club has been very consistent about not wanting to trade down. So if we do end up doing a deal then it must be worth a lot more to us than holding pick 4.

As always, I'll back Sleepy to make the right call. Hasn't steered us wrong yet.

Love the work of Curtin! Looks composed, unhurried when getting tackled, just rolls the shoulders and keeps looking for options by hand or foot, has good sense of what's around him. Reckon he'll command the backline in future games as he matures into a AFL standard player. Very similar to the way Sicily plays the game across half back , taking risks and getting involved in the hustle and bustle. Intriguing draft coming up. Can't see how Clarko would let him slip tbh.
He is a gun and I think you hit the nail on the head that he could command a back line like Sicily.
I’ve only seen the one game of Duursma and that was when he played against Box Hill, was very under whelming. Now he has come out and said he would love to play with his brother at Essendon, I think he is obviously a concussion risk with that judgement.
If Curtin is on the board I want us to call his name.

We will only trade down if we are certain that the player we rate best available at 4 should get through to pick 6. No brainer if that's the case.

The biggest issue with a potential Melbourne trade if it were pick 4 for picks 6 + 11, is that there is no guarantee McCabe doesn't get bid on by either Essendon (pick 9), or Adelaide (pick 10), which would eat up that bonus pick.

That's also why we would be requiring a future 1st instead of pick 11.

Pick 6 and F1.
So they come with 6,11,42 for 4,62,63 we were told and also that the main sticking point was their unwillingness to offer future picks. Now their increased offer includes a future pick but would seem objectively worse than the first offer. Something not right. 6,11,f1 and a guarantee they take Watson once Reid McKercher duursma off the board or no deal.

We will only trade down if we are certain that the player we rate best available at 4 should get through to pick 6. No brainer if that's the case.

The biggest issue with a potential Melbourne trade if it were pick 4 for picks 6 + 11, is that there is no guarantee McCabe doesn't get bid on by either Essendon (pick 9), or Adelaide (pick 10), which would eat up that bonus pick.

That's also why we would be requiring a future 1st instead of pick 11.
I’d be filthy if that happened

Back